WoW I Didn't Know This Thunderbolt Fact Either..

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes, because the battery cover is plastic and takes up a large portion of the body, I can see why some thought it was plastic.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
it's not metal, people have dropped it and cracked the freaking frame. I agree with someone from that thread though, if you cannot tell metal from plastic by handling it then you have issues.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
The build looks and feels solid.
That's not the point.

The point is providing accurate information and some users spreading false info. This is Android Central, not some hack website. I, for one, prefer people get accurate info when possible from this site that is known for ACCURATE Android information and news.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok, sorry.

duty_calls.png

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok, sorry.

I wasn't trying to get you to apologize, or suggesting you should. You never claimed the device had aluminum unibody.

I love the Tbolt as much as anyone but if there is one thing I despise it's outright fanboys(or girls :)) that cannot handle anything negative being said about the device.

The OP here started a thread knocking the Samsung Charge and is now acting hurt because he's been told his own device is not what he thought it was.

The Tbolt is still a great device but it could have been better. Simple as that.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I guess that's good. The phone is heavy enough.
Well I would have preferred aluminum, even tho it would have made it even heavier.

It might be argued that will all the 3G/4G dropping and hand-off issues, that maybe it is for the best since it's always possible that the aluminum could have caused even more reception issues.

I'm not saying that would have been the case, but Verizon and HTC might have been concerned and went the safe route.

mlpjunior

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
The confusion arises from the fact that there is actually an internal "skeleton" on the Thunderbolt which is metal, to which everything is mounted. You never see or touch the "metal frame" unless you dis-assemble the device. All exterior body pieces (excluding kickstand, speaker grille, etc.) are plastic.

Edit: You can actually see glimpses of the metal "sub-frame" if you remove the battery door.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
The confusion arises from the fact that there is actually an internal "skeleton" on the Thunderbolt which is metal, to which everything is mounted. You never see or touch the "metal frame" unless you dis-assemble the device. All exterior body pieces (excluding kickstand, speaker grille, etc.) are plastic.
I've heard this several times but have never seen definitive proof. Not saying you are wrong, but do you have an official link of some kind?

As it stands, HTC does not in anyway tout this device as ANY kind of aluminum unibody.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it is obvious from the teardown video that it is not a unibody. A frame section pops right off.

The only question I have is whether that frame section that comes off is metal or not.

mlpjunior

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I've heard this several times but have never seen definitive proof. Not saying you are wrong, but do you have an official link of some kind?

As it stands, HTC does not in anyway tout this device as ANY kind of aluminum unibody.

It's definitely NOT unibody. But there is a metal frame holding everything together under there. Unfortunately, from what I can tell, it looks like very lightweight, flimsy aluminum.