I think Verizon's network is causing the reboots

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't say that. It is just whenever the signal is weak. It could be a chipset issue since both use the same processor. So I may have jumped the gun because I forgot about that.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

All I know is that I used to get reboots on my BBs and now I don't. Friends in Boulder with TBs are plagued with reboots. Manufacturing of handsets is built around tower technology, not the other way around. If a handset isn't handling vzw towers correctly, and rebooting because of that, it is all on the manufacturing end of the handset makers fault, as they are responsible for building radios and UIs that handle roaming and signal switches along with signal loss. As more experience with LTE is ahieved, we can expect these second gen LTE handsets in the pipe to handle the towers proper. What's the problem? Multimillion dollar US.tower infrastructure, or 200 Taiwan radios? The TB just isn't all that, bottom line. Expect better things when these manufacturers have a better understanding of LTE.

Reactions: FrankXS

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
All I know is that I used to get reboots on my BBs and now I don't. Friends in Boulder with TBs are plagued with reboots. Manufacturing of handsets is built around tower technology, not the other way around. If a handset isn't handling vzw towers correctly, and rebooting because of that, it is all on the manufacturing end of the handset makers fault, as they are responsible for building radios and UIs that handle roaming and signal switches along with signal loss. As more experience with LTE is ahieved, we can expect these second gen LTE handsets in the pipe to handle the towers proper. What's the problem? Multimillion dollar US.tower infrastructure, or 200 Taiwan radios? The TB just isn't all that, bottom line. Expect better things when these manufacturers have a better understanding of LTE.

If this was simply a "black and white" issue, why do many of us with TBolts have NO reboot issues? And many others have issues only in certain areas and NO PROBLEMS with the same handset in other areas? If the handset was the ONLY issue here, the above situations would not be occurring would they?

Reactions: FrankXS

aliasneo07

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
two of the three reboots that I've noticed have all occurred within a mile of each other while driving on Rt. 50 from DC to MD. Both times the phone was set to 3G only.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
If this was simply a "black and white" issue, why do many of us with TBolts have NO reboot issues? And many others have issues only in certain areas and NO PROBLEMS with the same handset in other areas? If the handset was the ONLY issue here, the above situations would not be occurring would they?
That's a question only HTC can answere, as LTE is a very transparent specific technology. My guess is the Taiwan radio performance. I retract my statement that the TB isn't all that, but it is suffering first gen LTE growing pains. It's what it is. The towers aren't changing to accommodate handset makers weaknesses. Did anyone here really expect a perfect 1st gen LTE device? Verizon does have alot to live up to, and with first gen handsets begging EOL, manufacturers can build on the TB shortfalls and with that, expect HTCs second offerings to hopefully perform better. Hell, Motorola is having having a hell of a time with learning LTE as well. What it is dude, what it is.

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
That's a question only HTC can answere, as LTE is a very transparent specific technology. My guess is the Taiwan radio performance. I retract my statement that the TB isn't all that, but it is suffering first gen LTE growing pains. It's what it is. The towers aren't changing to accommodate handset makers weaknesses. Did anyone here really expect a perfect 1st gen LTE device? Verizon does have alot to live up to, and with first gen handsets begging EOL, manufacturers can build on the TB shortfalls and with that, expect HTCs second offerings to hopefully perform better. Hell, Motorola is having having a hell of a time with learning LTE as well. What it is dude, what it is.

Growing pains for sure. I for one dove in knowing and expecting there would be those very pains. I have also on 2 separate occasions worked with a Vzw field engineer to correct tower locations that were not performing properly on the new LTE network. It also appears that the Tbolt is not the only device experiencing reboots on the Vzw network.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Growing pains for sure. I for one dove in knowing and expecting there would be those very pains. I have also on 2 separate occasions worked with a Vzw field engineer to correct tower locations that were not performing properly on the new LTE network. It also appears that the Tbolt is not the only device experiencing reboots on the Vzw network.

Oh, yeah, I agree. No, the TB isn't the only one, but it is considerably the most affected. Apple, X, and a few others don't have said issue and handle the towers fine, even a weak out of adjusted one. The TB is clearly in need of a update, but do you think software can solve it?

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Oh, yeah, I agree. No, the TB isn't the only one, but it is considerably the most affected. Apple, X, and a few others don't have said issue and handle the towers fine, even a weak out of adjusted one. The TB is clearly in need of a update, but do you think software can solve it?

That my friend is the million dollar question. Personally, my Tbolt doesn't need updated beyond what came out a couple of weeks ago. I'm one of the lucky ones who isn't experiencing the reboots or shutdowns. Without symptoms to examine, I can only speculate based upon what I have experienced with 4G LTE mobile data that I work with.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
That my friend is the million dollar question. Personally, my Tbolt doesn't need updated beyond what came out a couple of weeks ago. I'm one of the lucky ones who isn't experiencing the reboots or shutdowns. Without symptoms to examine, I can only speculate based upon what I have experienced with 4G LTE mobile data that I work with.

Fair enough my friend. I don't think software will solve it though. I think the LTE radio design needs improvement, and better firmware implementation. I am glad your device is solid. I am sure some facility of the tower technology is something HTC needs to recognize clearly to accommodate it successfully, that is, if the reboots are even related to VZW infrastructure, at which I am not convinced it is, though some speculation said is highly interesting.

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough my friend. I don't think software will solve it though. I think the LTE radio design needs improvement, and better firmware implementation. I am glad your device is solid. I am sure some facility of the tower technology is something HTC needs to recognize clearly to accommodate it successfully, that is, if the reboots are even related to VZW infrastructure, at which I am not convinced it is, though some speculation said is highly interesting.

I sincerely hope we can say "time will tell". I would be out of my mind if I were having the issues that i read about here. I wish I had the answer for eveyone.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Problem is, any time you have a transmit/receive scenario, either side can be wrong. But, as you said in another post, the manufacture's have no choice but to consider the carrier as the "gold standard". Wrong or right.

-Frank

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnly

brett328

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I started having reboot issues immediately after the OTA. I never had a single reboot before the OTA, I bought my TB on day 1, and downloaded the OTA on day 1 of its availability. And I have suffered ever since. 2-3 reboots a day minimum.

3 days ago and completely fed up, I took it to my local VZW store. The tech downloaded and installed "Advanced Task Killer" from the market and said this should help. I have read all the articles here explaining in great detail how and why these are not recommended. I know, I KNOW!

Funny thing is, still no reboots since that installation. And my battery has been kick ass, despite the warnings that just the opposite would happen.

So, no, I'm no android guru nor a shill for the app, but if you just want your phone to stop rebooting over and over, for God's sake try this. It has worked for me so far, despite all the self-proclaimed geniuses telling me and everyone else that come here looking for help how foolish using this app is.

the app is set to kill aggressively every 30 minutes, but i have told it to ignore my email client, weather, and google talk apps. 3 days now, zero reboots. Never happened since I downloaded the OTA. Can't be a coincidence.

Doesn't explain the phenomenon, therefore not a totally satisfying or true fix. But a gigantic stress reducer for me till the situation is fully understood and eliminated. If you suffer like I did, then you should at least try this, sounds like some people have even worse reboot issues than I did, so it seems likely this may not solve everyones reboot issue.

But for whatever its worth, if you got it bad, give it a shot.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I sincerely hope we can say "time will tell". I would be out of my mind if I were having the issues that i read about here. I wish I had the answer for eveyone.

My good man, you are right and time will tell. I wouldn't tolerate these issues, they would drive mr insane too. For everyones sake, I hope a software patch will solve the affected sets, and that it isn't a radio snafu that is perm. There is no way VZW can tweak the towers to massage the TBs without possibly affecting all other sets running to my knowledge?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Problem is, any time you have a transmit/receive scenario, either side can be be wrong. But, as you said in another post, the manufacture's have no choice but to consider the carrier as the "gold standard". Wrong or right.

-Frank
Agreed, and LTE manufacturers have had the tower prints for a long time, so as long as those BPs are still current, my guess is manufacturing implementation. Could the manual for field techs have had a misprint and settings were not calibrated correctly? Sure, but I think the former is more likely.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if it has to do with upgrading of the network at all because around here everything has been absolutely solid, but yesterday was just a bad day for both the network and the battery life for me. I mean my wife's Revolution was at 39% battery by 3pm and mine was at 29%. Her battery isn't broken in yet as she just got the phone Saturday, but my phone never gets below 40% let alone 30% by 3pm.

Now I was in an area that I don't travel to a whole lot, but I was having issues with connecting to anything. The phone still said I had LTE and I never dropped the data connection, but it just wasn't connecting. So that could have been part of the issue with my battery life yesterday, but then I had a reboot at my house last night and I've never had a reboot at my house. This was only my 3rd reboot after the update and only my 4th since launch day. I was on WiFi, but the 4G LTE symbol was still present and on the Thunderbolt it disappears if you are connected to WiFi (it doesn't on the Revolution).

I don't want to say nothing is wrong, but keep in mind that Verizon is trying its very best to get LTE out as soon as possible. So the people who are experiencing a lot of reboots, you may be in an area where they are in the process of upgrading the network. I mean we have people without Thunderbolts who are having issues with reboots and now my situation where I was in an absolutely solid network area (probably the best in the country regardless of carrier) and I was experiencing some issues yesterday.

dms76

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Just out of curiosity has anyone downgraded their phone back to 1.12.605.6 to see what happens with the reboots?

jstewart0131

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I rebooted 6-8 times between Friday night and Saturday afternoon. The entire time I was inside my house. I rebooted 3 times in 15 minutes while walking around the 1st floor of my house while using the phone. I dam convinced that fluctuating signals are the blame for my reboots at least. I've had a couple of reboots at work too when not even doing anything. I have a 100% stock phone with the OTA update.

I am in Dayton, Ohio, which doesn't have 4g yet but it is getting turned on June 16.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Okay, things seem to be leaning more and more to the upgrading of the network. I know this is sort of anecdotal, but as I said earlier I was having a lot of issues yesterday and I have never gotten over 35Mbps while inside my office building (I did when I was outside about 2 blocks down at the traffic light, but never inside)... until today. I've been doing some testing and it appears that the network is even stronger. Sub 80ms ping times and over 40Mbps inside of my office.

58485492.png

jstewart0131

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I just experienced a reboot a few moments ago at work. Wasn't moving around, normally have full bars of 3g coverage at my desk. This time (and it has happened one more time other than this) the phone had NO data services once it booted on its own. I had to reboot it a second time to get data to work again. Every app would error saying that it requires wifi to work.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Problem with the "its the network" theory is all the tower tweaking is done while you are asleep if the signals are going to be affected. I just don't see Verizon acting like Homer Simpson, messing with your network during "normal" hours of operation am still convinced my theory is best. Besides, implementation of lte is silent until all the work is done, and LTE is simply a switch at point of dispersal.