I think Verizon's network is causing the reboots

jking3002

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I had a Dinc2 that was getting reboots. Got rid of it and picked up the Tbolt. Same area. No reboots. Also, many people were having no issues until literally RIGHT AFTER the OTA.

The OTA is causing the issues. There could be other issues going on with the VZW network, I suppose but I doubt it.

I think HTC might just have poor build quality and that causes issues with some of their phones, especially after a software change. HTCs are made in Taiwan, after all.

One Radical Dude

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
It's possible that it may have to do with the data side of the firmware radio. I don't believe I've witnessed a single reboot, while being connected to Wi-Fi and not EVDO or LTE. All reboots I've experienced are when I'm connected to 1X/3G/4G.

ALCingularUser

May 17, 2011
Visit site
It's possible that it may have to do with the data side of the firmware radio. I don't believe I've witnessed a single reboot, while being connected to Wi-Fi and not EVDO or LTE. All reboots I've experienced are when I'm connected to 1X/3G/4G.

That's also been my experience.

However, we also have to consider the possibility that the reboots might not be due to the radio but maybe the actual data network, more specifically an application's interaction with it. If data is coming in either corrupted or in a format that either the radio or an application isn't expecting, then either the radio or the app could respond in a way that crashes the OS. This would be one of those things that likely wouldn't show up in a test environment because you're testing under a set of controlled conditions that might not allow for something unexpected like data corruption.

After all, if it was just the radio randomly crashing the OS with little outside influence, these reboots should be more randomly distributed than they are.

Naturally, I have no proof of this. Just speculating.

Zeutron

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
My daughter has a Samsung Intensity (cheap as the come dumb phone). She mentioned to me today that it has been in her words "restarting" itself. So its not just smart phones.

Reactions: Chrisy

Richbirdie3

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Thunderbolt since late March. After downloading the OTA, I've been getting at least 1 reboot per day but only at home, while on the AC charger, late at night. I live in Milwaukee, WI; just out of range of the 4G towers in the downtown area in a very marginal signal area (Usually 1-2 bars max at home.)
I've done the factory reset, pulled the battery etc. With the signal fluctuations I get, from 3G to 1X to
no data to 4G (for a weekend only, probably a test) I think the network has a lot to do with the problems.
Even with an occasional reboot; this is the best phone I've ever had. It's so nice to have a phone that doesn't lock up like my Touch Pro did all the time.

androidguy916

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Y'all may be onto something that this issue may be location based. I work in downtown Sacramento. My office is near the airport which is partly in a 4G area; one part of the building gets 4G coverage by my part of the building doesn't so I'm on the outer fringe of the airport coverage. I have the LTE OnOff widget and I have my phone locked down to 3G (CDMA auto (PRL)) and have the the modem set to eHRPD enabled by doing the ##778## thing, I don't recall having any reboots at home which is well outside the 4G area. I have had the phone shut down and power off but not reboot, yet.

Bill

samsuck

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
not to be rude or anything, but us root users who had this leak 2 weeks before it even came out warned users of this.
In fact Chrisy, i remember posting in a thread where you where joined in discussion to NOT accept the update.

It's the radio.img file.
Could it be network related? yes, probably a combination of the both.

However, if you're on the original stock radio this issue doesn't arise that often

I'm on the Gingerbread radio and it seems to be much better, so an OTA should be coming your way.

You could also root your phone. the android central guide is probably the easiest.

mlpjunior

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
not to be rude or anything, but us root users who had this leak 2 weeks before it even came out warned users of this.
In fact Chrisy, i remember posting in a thread where you where joined in discussion to NOT accept the update.

It's the radio.img file.

However, if you're on the original stock radio this issue doesn't arise that often

I'm on the Gingerbread radio and it seems to be much better, so an OTA should be coming your way.

You could also root your phone. the android central guide is probably the easiest.

Off topic: As a former Fascinate owner, I'm loving your name.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
This is key. So many people, on both sides of this debate, seem to be missing this point. It is not purely one or the other, but a combination of both. Understandably, when your phone is working fine before the OTA, and not afterwards, the problem is seen to be purely with the OTA.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

It's the radio.img file.

I don't remember seeing all the warnings from rooted users. I never go into that forum area because I don't plan on rooting.

I like to read reviews before I install an update, I just didn't wait long enough this time. Lol. My device is rebooting once every two days now so for me it's not bad. But if it's not fixed in the next update I'll have to Exchange.

I can't root and install ROMs. I don't have a computer.

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I concur. I've had nothing but problems with signal and battery since the network outage occurred.

I've been saying it for a few weeks now -- I'm 100% convinced that the battery, signal, and rebooting problems are all network related.

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I agree, I seem to be noticing that the 4G network is the issue for battery life. When I switched to 3G, my battery life improved GREATLY, same when on WiFi. But, that was when I received the first 2 random reboots too, after the OTA last week, while on 3G yesterday.

Hoping last nights 4G outage was them applying fixes to the network.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but as a test, those who are having the reboots should try running the phone on airplane mode for a day and just turning on Wi-Fi. This will keep you off of Big Red's network but still let you use the phone at hotspots. Try that and see if you still get reboots.

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
It's not Verizon ... we really need to start looking at the apps. Oh... wait ...

ARRRGGGHHHH!!!! Phone just powered off on new OTA update! Oh ... wait ... never mind ... my Mom talked the battery to death ... never mind.

ALCingularUser

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but as a test, those who are having the reboots should try running the phone on airplane mode for a day and just turning on Wi-Fi. This will keep you off of Big Red's network but still let you use the phone at hotspots. Try that and see if you still get reboots.

I've already noticed that, when I'm connected to wi-fi, I get no reboots. Don't even have to go into airplane mode. As long as I'm not on EVDO, I'm good.

But here's another test. Do people get reboots when they roam on another carrier? I know that may not happen that often, given VZW's coverage, but it'd be a good test. And I may get to see later this week, as I'll be in Cellular South's territory. Does anyone know if we can use 3G on CellSouth?

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I've suspected and asked about people's locations from the beginning - but my question about people's locations got lost in the threads.

I'm in Atlanta - a strong 4G network and haven't experienced a single random re-boot. I traveled to NC this weekend for my grandmother's funeral and experienced my first random re-boots. They are in Greensboro and a 3G network currently.

I'm back in Atlanta and the random re-boots have ceased.

musicman555

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I live in Central FL and have had no reboots and very little signal fluctuation before or after the OTA. I go from 4G to 3G daily since my house gets poor coverage and that has never caused a problem either. Sometimes the hand off from 3G to 4G is a bit slow but it always makes it. I did have a problem right after the outage where I would drop signal instead of switching to 3G but after two calls to tech support that was fixed by reprogramming or reflashing my sim card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty