I think Verizon's network is causing the reboots

racermech

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I got my first reboot this weekend. I am usually in 3G, but the first 4G area is only a few miles away. I was on surface streets and I had to check my phone (not driving) and it kept switching from 3-4g. THe rebooted.

Between work and home I have not had a single reboot. When I have driven by freeway into 4g no problems. To me it seems like it is the handover that caused mine.

Reactions: Chrisy

u7mg0

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
just wanted to share my experience, for what it's worth. i live in So Florida on the edge of 4g. i had network connection drops all the time. i was in Manhattan this weekend and had constant 4g. the phone perfomred amazing. quick GPS lock, navigation helpful, super fast. no network losses. battery was still an issue, but i was using it alot. got about 5 hours.

so i am happy to know the phone CAN operate as i need. it seems (at least on mine) that it is a 4g/3g issue. there is hope for some of you

now if they can bet the battery to last longer.....

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I had no reboots yesterday. I also had GPS off and was at home when using the phone. Had it at work but did not use it, location services off.

Today I had all locations on, and it rebooted twice while using Google Navigation, and again 15 minutes later when using a compass in c:geo.

Odd.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Possible. It's annoying but at the same time really interesting. I can't wait to find out the actually cause. If we do find out. It would be funny If it was something like it reboots if the device is turned sideways twice left and three times right. Ha.

INK

Banned
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Possible. It's annoying but at the same time really interesting. I can't wait to find out the actually cause. If we do find out. It would be funny If it was something like it reboots if the device is turned sideways twice left and three times right. Ha.

OMG-Sensor. That could be it :p

srh.pres.usx

DOXA?holic
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
It would be funny If it was something like it reboots if the device is turned sideways twice left and three times right. Ha.

Tried that... no go... ;) Ive only seen one reboot since launch day, and Im still on stock, OTA loaded. It could be a combination of network handoff and a hardware issue though. Mine has been rock solid - although inside my house, I get a lot of 4G to 3G flip flops, outside strong 4G; but still no reboots due to that issue. I have a BB Bold for work - havent seen any reboot issues with it either, just the usual memory leak which forces me to reboot it perioidically. Will be interesting to see if we ever do find out the cause.

ALCingularUser

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Just an update. I went to the Mississippi Delta Thursday and Friday. Over there, it's a mix of VZW native coverage (former Alltel network) and roaming on Cellular South. Most of the time, I was on Cellular South, which has Rev. A, but I wasn't allowed to connect to it. VZW also has 3G (assuming it would be Rev. A, although I didn't check), which, of course, I could use. In any case, I had no reboots while I was there.

I think this confirms that the 3G radio is part of the problem. I still believe that it's a combination of the radio and something that's happening on the network side. I was hoping to be able to roam with data on Cellular South, but, alas, that didn't happen.

sonicbuffalo

May 7, 2011
Visit site
It seems that people here are forgetting. We didn't have random reboots BEFORE the OTA came out. At least I don't remember anyone saying anything about them occurring. So, the OTA definitely had something to do with the issue.

CaptDigB

May 9, 2010
Visit site
It seems that people here are forgetting. We didn't have random reboots BEFORE the OTA came out. At least I don't remember anyone saying anything about them occurring. So, the OTA definitely had something to do with the issue.

Doesn't mean anything. So what your saying anything they do to the network after the update will always be the updates fault. I had no issues after update till there network went on the fritz yesterday.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
There were indeed reports of random reboots prior to the OTA update. I had at least one on my own phone. I don't think they were as prevalent, and I absolutely think the OTA update is the cause of this increase. But that does not mean that the network is not also implicated.

CaptDigB

May 9, 2010
Visit site

Doesn't mean anything. So what your saying anything they do to the network after the update will always be the updates fault. I had no issues after update till there network went on the fritz yesterday.

IronRainier

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm normally in NYC so I get 4g most of the time. I have not had any reboots either before or after the OTA. I spent a couple of days in Livingston NJ, and my phone was having issues between 3g and 4g. I noticed about 4 or 5 reboots in a day.

JohnyLunchmeat

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I had one reboot before the OTA update in a 3G area but none in a 4G area (Seattle) and the phone was amazingly fast, especially with full bars. Going back and forth between 3G and 4G area's I get at least 3 reboots a day while in a 3G area since the OTA. Signal strength is always poor in 3G areas as well although I've made calls just fine with no bars which leads me to believe that the indicator might be off. I hate it and I'm considering going back to my Droid X since I'll be in a 3G area for awhile and really need my phone to work without rebooting at critical times. My Droid X always performed very well.

One thing I've noticed is that the reboots only happen when the phone is plugged into the car cradle on the windshield, and the temps are higher, signal strength is usually low at that time. I've started putting the AC on the defrost vents to keep the temps down which seems to work. It doesn't matter what I'm doing with the phone when it reboots itself.

So, to me it seems like a combo of network and overheating issues.

Edit - I forgot that I have had reboots while charging in the house in a 3G area.

mr.fatface

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I am almost always 4g but once a day I go to an area where 4g is crap and it has to switch back and forth to 3g . I have never had a random reboot and have had the phone since launch...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk