Slow Thunderbolt Questions

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
My thunderbolt is starting to act up a little here and there and it's starting to slow down. For example, when I send a text message then press back to check another message, it won't let me press the new message I want immediately and the new message icon is still on the other message even though I just sent that message. This happens every time I am texting more that one person at a time. Then, once I get into the other message and send it, I have to press the back button several times to get back to the list of messages. It takes me back through the current message I just sent the same number of times I pressed it from the messages screen. Confusing I know but what can I do to speed my phone up?

It's stock and not rooted. Also, it seems to take quite a while to send a message. At least 3 seconds before the "loading" screen goes away. My phone is not filled with tons of apps either. All the stock bloatware is still on the phone and I have the standard angry birds, maps, and a few others. So, with all of that said, what option do I have to speed my phone up and make it the phone I wanted it to be? I don't want to say it but it's getting as slow as my old BB storm 1!!!!

OC Nut

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Does a manual reboot work? I have noticed a lag at times, or the touchscreen not being responsive when I enter a password, and it usually spells trouble that a reboot fixes. I don't know about anything specific to messaging though.

FutureTBoltOwner

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
either:
a) delete some of your messages if you have alot stockpiled in your message screen

or

b) delete your message data (settings - apps - manage apps - all - messages - clear message data)

richardpandy

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
I had to delete all my threads that were longer then about 150 to get rid of the lag. Once I did that it was back to normal but its horrible that a phone like this can't handle a good amount of text messages before getting bogged down. Also, texts with pictures in them add to that bog.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
You might want to think about 3rd party SMS apps... I've used Handcent... and recently switched to Go SMS running in Lite Mode... it's quick.

richardpandy

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
You might want to think about 3rd party SMS apps... I've used Handcent... and recently switched to Go SMS running in Lite Mode... it's quick.

From my experience it doesn't really matter what program you use. I use Handcent as well and it I run into the lag issues.

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
A manual reboot pressing the power button and choosing power off doesn't do anything sadly. I have never pulled the battery though. Should I do that and see heat happens? I also still use the stock SMS program.

Also, what does delete message data do? I am surprised that the Thunderbolt can't have tons of messages stored either actually. My BB storm could have tons stored and my girlfriends iPhone can just continuously reload messages from forever ago. The slowness is really just with my texting so it's gotta be something with that.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
From my experience it doesn't really matter what program you use. I use Handcent as well and it I run into the lag issues.

One person's opinion... and I gave mine... I've seen no lag... with either app... but that should be an option for the OP and if they want to try it out you should let them... and let them form their own opinion.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
A manual reboot pressing the power button and choosing power off doesn't do anything sadly. I have never pulled the battery though. Should I do that and see heat happens? I also still use the stock SMS program.

Also, what does delete message data do? I am surprised that the Thunderbolt can't have tons of messages stored either actually. My BB storm could have tons stored and my girlfriends iPhone can just continuously reload messages from forever ago. The slowness is really just with my texting so it's gotta be something with that.

Doing a "Clear Data" is like doing a Factory Data Reset for only one app. If you have problems with just one application it is typically the best fix. It erases all data that application has accumulated since you installed it. Yes, for the Messaging app that will erase all your texts as well.

Personally, I noticed that the applications Facebook for Android and Angry Birds can be horrendous memory and storage hogs, the latter even known to cause system instability. On the former, one of my agents was telling me today about a lady who's Facebook for Android app's data was almost 100 MB... That is insane for a single application! Needless to say, on a Motorola Citrus (the device the lady owned) that is detrimental.

Most of you know, but for those that do not, when I say Facebook for Android, I do NOT mean Facebook for HTC Sense.

Aside, a battery pull is the most assured way to clear temporary caches on a mobile device. With the Thunderbolt, I typically also clear the capacitors as well. Power off the TBolt, remove the battery, slide out the SIM tray, and hold down the power button for around 10-15 seconds. Make sure after you slide the SIM tray back in and replace the battery that the battery cover is on securely.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckawd

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
^^^ Thank you for the great information!! Not, if I can get the Body Glove case off of my phone without breaking it I will to the full reset!! I did delete most of my text conversations and that sped the messaging app up tremendously! Also, I do not have facebook or use any facebook/social networking of any sort so thankfully I don't have that slowing my phone.

I'm very close to rooting I think also because I can't stand the bloatware and want to overclock the processor just a tad. I know this phone, as far as hardware is concerned, is a beast and I need it to operate as so. I can't have iPhone users making fun of me because their phone just works. I usually pull the 13mbs download speed on them anyway.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I noticed that the applications Facebook for Android and Angry Birds can be horrendous memory and storage hogs, the latter even known to cause system instability. On the former, one of my agents was telling me today about a lady who's Facebook for Android app's data was almost 100 MB... That is insane for a single application! Needless to say, on a Motorola Citrus (the device the lady owned) that is detrimental.

I was actually OVER a hundred on my DInc1 once, completely blew my mind...