OTA Actually a Hidden Recall?

jking3002

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Hear me out- Obviously HTC/V know the update is causing issues, and from what I have heard on the forum the OTA hasn't been pulled, and those that are having issues are now getting new in-the-box phones (as per an agreement between V/HTC), and so far, those seem to be handling the OTA just fine.

To me, that says something fishy might be going on here. This just seems like a VERY expensive way to push an update which fixes almost nothing, instead of just stopping the update, giving refurbed phones without the OTA to those whose phones were broken and then going back to the drawling board on the Tbolt's issues, and pushing a new OTA shortly?

Is it possible this is some sort of way for VZW/HTC to do a limited recall on some tbolts with either a defective hardware or software issue? Perhaps some sort of security issue maybe? Who knows, but an issue that for whatever reason is not traceable by normal means (such as a limited serial number range).

The reason for now issuing the new phones is that the problem is now corrected on the new tbolts rolling out from HTC, and that without the OTA and hours spent waiting on restarts, there is no way to tell which refurbs are affected as well so its cheaper to do it this way? Perhaps it is an issue with an expensive part of the phones, so its cheaper to just do new...

I know it sounds crazy but the way they are handling this is insane! I honestly can't think of any other reason they would do it like this, other than simply gross mismanagement, which I doubt...

jking3002

May 14, 2011
Visit site
^ Yes. Which sucks because you shouldn't have to suffer bc VZW/HTC messed up, but when you root, it no longer becomes their problem.

Also, I mean my idea IS a little far fetched, but I'm thinking it is possible.

Maybe some of the phones have a hidden tracking system similar to the iphone, and HTC is begging VZW to cover it up... Replacing the bolts out of their own pocket and giving VZW some kind of other sweetheart deals... Who knows? Just the whole situation is CRAZY...

Richbirdie3

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Anything is possible, although I can't see Verizon, which has a reputation for great service and a rock-solid network being that deceptive. Whatever the issue; they better solve it soon. They are alienating a lot of customers by being so secretive and inconsistent in their responses. They have changed quite a bit since they got the I-phone. Once Sprint and T-Mobile get the new I-phone also and the cash cow is gone; service, pricing and the network quality are what matters. A satisfied Thunderbolt customer now makes all the difference 2 years from now when contracts are up.

jking3002

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Lakers, another poster here on AC said you need to get in contact with HTC tech support before you'll get a new ITB phone. Give it a shot if you want.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Anything is possible, although I can't see Verizon, which has a reputation for great service and a rock-solid network being that deceptive. Whatever the issue; they better solve it soon. They are alienating a lot of customers by being so secretive and inconsistent in their responses. They have changed quite a bit since they got the I-phone. Once Sprint and T-Mobile get the new I-phone also and the cash cow is gone; service, pricing and the network quality are what matters. A satisfied Thunderbolt customer now makes all the difference 2 years from now when contracts are up.

some like myself got the tb on a 1yr contract

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
It's an interesting theory but I don't believe it. It's kind or conspiracy theory-ish. Too many people would have to be involved in a cover up.

I think the simplest answer is usually correct. The Tbolt is new technology and has glitches. They don't know what is causing the reboots yet.

Other, non Android and non smart phones, on VZW are also rebooting.

VZW always just suggests a reset and then a replacement when they have no fix available. I had a BlackBerry Tour that bricked. They replaced that and two weeks later a software patch fixed the issue that caused my Tour to brick.

Reactions: NotJustAPhone

jking3002

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Chrisy, it's totally conspiracy theory-ish, and mainly a joke. Not that many people would be needed, a few higher ups at HTC and big V and a few software engineers is all. Maybe 15 people or less in the right senior positions could get something like this done. The underlings would have no idea what was going on. First and second level techs at big V seem pretty clueless to me anyway, so that fits in with the general competence of their employees. Anyway, my crackpot theory is possible though, and honestly their method of "fixing" it right now is insane. Which is what leads me to post this.

Also, if they KNOW this OTA is breaking phones, why don't they stop pushing it?!? That is one of the most fishy parts of the whole thing. Breaking phones is kinda expensive, so there has got to be a reason they are pushing this update... A GPS fix and better audio during recording doesn't seem like enough of a reason to cause problems with probably thousands of users phones... Also the results of this OTA seem to be all over the place. Who knows if it's really doing anything to phones or if its just placebo effect.

Anyway, we need a straight up poll on what users are having issues with their TBOLT post OTA and which ones aren't. I wonder if maybe it's really only breaking a small percentage of phones or if it's closer to 50/50. Maybe big V really thinks this OTA is worth breaking phones over... Maybe it's only happening to 10 percent of users or something, who knows?

Anyway, don't take this thread too seriously, it's one of those jokes, with a hint of... uhhh that could be true type things. Mainly just fun to talk about, and joke about.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I remember hearing the same conspiracy theory back when I had a BlackBerry Storm, and an OS update was screwing up some phones. I don't buy the conspiracy theory.

jking3002

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Man, you AC guys (and gals) are some debbie downers! Won't even have a little fun... Sadly, I wouldn't even call ole Harold Camping (rapture nut) and his followers conspiracy theorists. They have a theory, but no conspiracy part.

Seriously, does ANYONE know why VZW/HTC are going about this like so-

Continue to Push Update which Breaks Phones
Replace those Phones (now with NEW inside-the-box models per post number 30 in the "tech support says..." forum)

Instead of like so-

Stop Pushing Update
Replace Broken Phones with Refurbs which do not have the OTA.

Sure, they have the same number of steps, but one ends up with many more broken phones, than the other... Maybe a bunch of absolute morons just run the company?

gvillager

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
I never said it was a conspiracy theory, I just said it was a theory.

The reason they are doing it this way is because these problems are affecting only a small portion of users. I know 4 other people that have TB's and their experience mirrors mine.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000