Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How easy does the screen scratch?

I am fully aware that the HTC Thunderbolt is supposed to have Gorilla Glass which is scratch resistant. All of my friends use their devices without cases but they have Droid X's, Droid 2's, etc. They have never complained about a scratch before even when I asked. However, while I have seen a couple of complaints regarding the HTC Thunderbolt's screen scratching, I haven't seen a definite answer.

I'm going to be using a Seidio Surface but would like to avoid a screen protector if possible. However, if I must have one, I need one that's simple enough to put on. If scratching is inevitable, would the Steinheil Ultra Clear be a good option with easy installation?

Sorry for making another thread regarding this. I just had to file an insurance claim after a failed Invisible Shield claim. That's why I'm avoiding the wet installation protectors.
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,450 Global Posts

I've had my Thunderbolt since launch day with no screen protector. I don't have any scratches on the screen. I carry the phone in my pocket. I do ALWAYS make sure nothing else is in that pocket with my phone.

If I put the phone in my backpack, I place it in a sunglasses case and make sure it is on the very outer pocket.

Screen still looks mint. I used to use screen protectors on my BlackBerry phones. But I don't like the way they look and feel. And I never scratched them either.

I've never used screen protectors. At least since my last PPC. I passed my OG Droid on to my wife with a perfect screen.
    I do slide my phones into a micro fiber sunglass baggie before carrying it in my pocket. No case means I always get to play naked with my TB. LOL

If you end up buying a screen protector, I definitely recommend Steinheil Ultra Clear. Always used them. Easy install, no water, can barely tell it's there. Feels just like glass to me.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionBolt View Post
    If you end up buying a screen protector, I definitely recommend Steinheil Ultra Clear. Always used them. Easy install, no water, can barely tell it's there. Feels just like glass to me.
    Same here.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - HTC Droid Incredible - HTC Thunderbolt - Asus Transformer TF101-B1 with dock - Nook Color - Logitech Revue.
    Rem

ROM
    BAMF Remix v1.8.6

I waited for over a month before paranoia got the best of me and I put a screen protector on mine. I always carry it in my back pocket, screen inward, and never did see any signs of scratching. Ended up going the Steinheil Ultra Clear route, though. Installation was crazy simple and it looks and feels like nothing's there.
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

i just ordered steinheil bc the zagg brand invisible shield feels terrible (but does protect the screen very well).

i got some faint scratches from placing phone next to keys once for a second, and dropping it in a parking lot once, gorilla glass or not it is not actually scratch proof.

I have never ever rocked a screen protector, no matter how well it is put on it will bubble at some point (friends that have tried everything and swear by them). I have the Siedo Innocase II and I love it. I have had no issues at all.

I treated my Thunderbolt like a baby for the two weeks I had it. Like super careful, because I didn't want to spend money on a protector or case until I was sure I'd be keeping it. I still made a small scratch somehow. Don't know how. Somebody here said that sand scratches it pretty easily. I happen to live in a sandy environment so maybe that's it.

I got a Boxwave ClearTouch Crystal for the Dinc2 I wound up getting because Steinheil didn't make one for the Dinc2 at that point. It's dry-apply, totally transparent, washable and reusable. It was pretty easy to put on and the stiffness of the material means it's not the sort to peel up at the edges. I feel much better having it on there. The only disadvantage I've noticed is that fingerprint smudges are more noticeable on it than on the naked glass. That aside, I'm happy with it and glad it will be in pristine condition come resale time.

Maybe there were keys in your pocket

Global Posts
    247 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock w/ Root

My TB was scratched 2 days into owning it. Screen seemed weak so when I got my refurb I put one of those verizon screen protectors on it as soon as I got it.

Quote Originally Posted by rromao View Post
    Maybe there were keys in your pocket
    Nope. Like I said, I treated it super carefully. Never in the pocket with anything else. Maybe it was a wipe on a shirt that had a piece of sand on it. Don't know. The point is just to say that it can in fact scratch even with careful use. Lots of other people have not been particularly careful and have not gotten scratches. So it may not be common. But it's possible.

no scratches here and I've dropped my phone quite a few times, I usually carry my phone in my back pocket facing inward
    *PHILLIES* *FLYERS* *EAGLES*
    "The Island brought us here"...got LOST

That is not something I am willing to test on my phone - if you want to send me YOUR phone, I would be happy to run some tests and send it back to you with a full report.

I've got a small scratch on mine. Not sure how it got there. It's annoying cause I had my Droid over a year and nevver got a scratch and now this has one after 3 months.

ROM
    BAMF SoaB v1.04

Quote Originally Posted by FusionBolt View Post
    This is the best I've used.

I always hated screen protectors but decided to give this one a try based on a video review and I'm glad I did. You can't tell its there, easy to apply, and fingerprints wipe away easy with a microfiber towel. So far after a few weeks its still in great shape with no signs of peeling, etc.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by JohnyLunchmeat View Post
    This is the best I've used.

I always hated screen protectors but decided to give this one a try based on a video review and I'm glad I did. You can't tell its there, easy to apply, and fingerprints wipe away easy with a microfiber towel. So far after a few weeks its still in great shape with no signs of peeling, etc.
    If its that easy to install than its worth it.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by brum08 View Post
    I've got a small scratch on mine. Not sure how it got there. It's annoying cause I had my Droid over a year and nevver got a scratch and now this has one after 3 months.
    Same here. Kinda of annoying but not a big deal