1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Terrible battery life on standby

I've had my phone since early April.. I knew the battery life wouldn't be good coming in so I wasn't too shocked, but since then it just seems worse after being "broke in". I charge my phone every night and when i take it off for the day it drops down almost instantly, but the major drop comes while it's in standby.. it's not doing anything and it's still draining lots of battery. The past few days I haven't used it much except casual texting, so I've noticed the big dips when I turn the phone on from standby and look at the battery icon.

When I look at what's been using the battery the first one is display, under that is standby, then phone idle, then android system, android os. after that is just calender, dialer,etc with like 1% each.

WHen I go into app setting and look at running services.. it is stuff I havent' even started. Like mobileIM.. never used that i dont think, google messaging, qikEngineService. But other than that there isn't much in there.
    Under manage apps -> running: there is a ton.. most stuff i never turned on or use often, most notably maps, verizon vcast crap, stocks, my uploads?, mobile im again, lots of HTC stuff, flickr friend stream, fm radio all of which i dont use at all, then my social apps which i have set up for manual syncing.

I don't have anything set up to auto synch except weather every hour.. everything else is manual.
    I've also not gotten the update.
    What the heck am i doing wrong that it's draining my battery in standby??
    - also, it takes this phone awhile to turn on since day 1. i thought it was supposed to turn on fast? should i check fast boot or something?

Sorry for the long post, i just wanted to get all my info out here right away instead of posting it later. any help is appreciated.

1.) Are you running the phone on 4G? Is it a 4G area or does it constantly switch?

2.) Did you disable automatic updates on the Blockbuster application? Whether you open it or not does not matter. The application updates automatically unless you open it and change the settings. Note: You'll have to update the application upon opening it to disable it.

Those are the two things that come to mind.

The battery info screen isn't very accurate our useful. For instance, yesterday my phone was draining at a rate of 15-20% am hour. The battery info screen said the same useless crap: mostly display, a little phone idle, a little cell standby and 2 or 3% of everything else.

It turned out that I had left the WiFi on. The Thunderbolt really burns through battery when hunting for a WiFi signal, and it doesn't show up in the battery info screen. I expect that many other things don't show up there either.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I have my phone on full sync and it barely uses any power while in standby, maybe 30-40mah. I turn 4G off but my 3G is running all the time and my e-mail and facebook sync constantly. Try installing Battery Monitor Widget, it will tell you how much juice you are using. Mine was bad for a day or two and I pulled the battery to reset and everything and its been fine again ever since.

Make sure your Blockbuster app is set to never update.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

yeah I turned the blockbuster thing off. I'm in NW pennsylvania and we don't have 4g here, I've just been using 3g. Wifi is off as well.

For me, pre-OTA, standby on 3G was resulting in about a 5% drain/hour. In general, I haven't found the phone info/battery or system info, etc., all that useful -- most of the apps you mention probably are (or should be) showing very low CPU time, and I think it's normal for them to be loaded and sit in memory without using battery. For me, the best ways to tell that something is wrong is (1) the phone is running hot (at rest mine is currently running at 84 degrees; if it is over 90 degrees on standby, that probably indicates more CPU activity than there should be); or (2) the battery drain rate is too high based on experience (this happened to me this morning, the phone was losing battery at 10%/hour). In either case, I reboot, which usually seems to stop the problem (have lost 1% in the last 37 minutes since reboot). Very occasionally, I will see something in the battery info or system info that doesn't belong there (happened with Dialer and Soundhound, for example), and then a force stop (in the case of an app) or a reboot (in the case of a system process) will help stop that.

Note that some of the problem is also traceable to an inaccurate battery gauge -- for example, when you take it off the charger, it says 100% but may in fact have dropped down to 90-95% or so, because the charger does not maintain a constant trickle charge, but lets the battery drop some before starting up again (you can see this in battery widget log) -- and all the time the battery gauge shows 100%. As another example, sometimes upon a reboot, there will be a 10%-20%(!) drop in battery, but then the battery will not go down any more for 2 hours.

It is one of the unfortunate aspects of this phone that one has to be very vigilant about the battery and all the things that can suddenly cause rapid battery loss. (But when the phone is working right, the stock battery should be sufficient to last 15+ hours on 4G, with 1-2 hours of actual use (post-OTA), and longer than that, on wi-fi.)

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts

I can leave my phone on all night without charging with almost no battery drain at all. I would say none, since i can't see any visible change in the meter, but I am sure there must be a little.

Yes, I had mine on airplane mode all last night after charging and taking it off the charger and the battery gauge stayed at 99% for 10.5 hours, but I am skeptical that this is accurate.

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts

Mine was not even on airplane mode and had almost no hit on the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    I can leave my phone on all night without charging with almost no battery drain at all. I would say none, since i can't see any visible change in the meter, but I am sure there must be a little.
    When connected to WIFI at my house, I rarely lose more than 10% (the noticeable difference on the stock battery meter) overnight while sleeping.