good 4g phone in non-4g area

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking about upgrading to a 4g phone even though I probably won't have 4g coverage at my house in southern Georgia until next year at the earliest. I just think it might be a good idea to lock in unlimited data before verizon changes it. Anybody recommend the Thunderbolt as the phone to do that with? I have beenthrough this forum and see some of the issues everyone is having but I can't see getting a Samsung considering their software upgrade record on verizon. So it is either the Thunderbolt or the LG phone that might be released soon. I can't imagine verizon waiting for the Bionic to be released before they stop unlimited data. So what do you think... lock in unlimited 4g now or stick with 3g until I get coverage?

Sorry if this had been discussed before, I didn't see another thread like this searching from my phone.

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Despite it's issues I also recommend it. I'd much rather deal with the issues for a little while (until HTC patches it) than have a Samsung phone (charge) where it'll be 2 years before I see 1 update.

Reactions: Chrisy

h2opoloplyr_11

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Very highly recommended!! Just make sure you read threads about the "quirks" of the phone so there won't be any surprises. Hahahah. But its been reliable and I love it!!! and my phone among many others as well, have been flawless!!! Make sure you invest on a extended battery though if you're a heavy user. And even with 3g, you can use data and voice simultaneously!!

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Same here, no 4G for a while, but got the TB anyway. Very simply, it is the best 3G phone Verizon has to offer as well, even with the issues.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
North Georgia, 3G only area.
Not sure I will see 4G before the end of life on this device, but I really like the Thunderbolt. I have few problems. I keep it switched to 3G only to save on battery.
I switched to the TB from a Samsung Fascinate.This phone is SO much better. I will tend to avoid Samsung for years because of the issues with that device. It was a failure in too many ways.
The only real issue with the Thunderbolt for me is battery life. I keep chargers and a spare battery handy, and I'm OK.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I mostly leave my phone on 3G anyway to save battery life and its a great phone. I've not had any of the problems you see posted on the board. I do reccomend the extended battery, makes the phone even more enjoyable when you really don't have to worry about saving the battery.

cegabq

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm in a 3G only area at the moment (hopefully will get 4G by the end of the year). I am fortunate (?lucky?) to not have been plagued by the problems. I'm not rooted. I bought 2 extra batteries to swap out instead of the extended (really didn't like how it poked out the back).
I'm not a super-power user & have been really happy so far.

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I talked to someone about this phone at verizon and was told you can't use voice and data at the same time except over 4g (so not over 3g). Is that right?

Rem

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I talked to someone about this phone at verizon and was told you can't use voice and data at the same time except over 4g (so not over 3g). Is that right?

Nope, they messed up. I live in a 3G-only area and have used simultaneous voice/data plenty of times. :)

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for letting me know for sure. I just purchased this phone from verizon. It should be here tomorrow. I got a $50 discount b/c they moved up my last NE2 because my droid 2 keeps randomly rebooting on me. I hope I avoid that with the Thunderbolt or hopefully they will fix it quicker than motorola. The Thunderbolt just seems like the best high end phone on verizon currently with or without 4g in my area. HTC sense is going to be a little learning curve, but hopefully I'll like it. Definitely will like the bigger screen. I guess this will be my home in the forums now. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae