Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default thinking of trading my iphone for the thunderbolt?

well what do you guys think, i love the i phone 4 but wanting a bigger screen, LTE, etc....... my iphone 4 works flawlessly, and worried about all the problems with the thunderbolt, i have a guy want to ship first, is it worth the trade??

I think it's worth it to be honest and not because I'm a fanboy. I've had the AT&T iPhone 4 and what killed it for me was it's lack of customization and how I was forced to use iTunes. 98% of the apps are on Android so in terms of applications I wasn't missing anything except Netflix and Plants vs. Zombies which are both coming soon. While there are some bugs with the Thunderbolt I still love the phone, the battery isn't a big deal for me because I work in an office and I have a charger in my car so no biggy at all there. As for the recent OTA rebooting issues, I've only had my phone reboot a few times and they were when I wasn't using the phone.

Before you make the decision I'd go to the store and play with the phone, see if you like it. It's got a bit of a learning curve because of how much you can change versus the iPhone were you cant change anything. Android is hands down the best mobile OS in my opinion, it does need a few tweeks/improvements but it's still amazing.
    Device history:
    Storm 1 > Tour > Droid > Droid Incredible > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > Motorola Razr HD MAXX & Nexus 7
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

thanks for the opinon, ill do that, i would love a shot at the LTE!! ALSO HEARD THAT THE MEMORY IS 2GB AND NOT 8GB LIKE IT SAYS!!

LTE is awesome, I get it where I work and when I'm hanging out around Boston as all my friends live in that area. I don't have LTE at my house but I'm not there enough. The speed is amazing, and it's nice to have voice and data on verizon both on 3g and 4g.
    Device history:
    Storm 1 > Tour > Droid > Droid Incredible > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > Motorola Razr HD MAXX & Nexus 7

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Basically, all of us here had a choice to go for the iPhone4 or the TBolt. We chose TBolt. I expect you to hear mostly that opinion here.

You said you want a big screen and LTE. Well, you really only have one option, the HTC ThunderBolt. Samsung doesn't really count

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

Global Posts
    1,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I had the iPhone4 with at&t then went back to verizon. I loved the iPhone4 not at&t. I would hold off on the Thunderbolt and see what else comes out. HTC is a great phone maker and Im sure they will come out with something soon again. Im not a fan of the Droid X2 but i would wait to see what else is out there. LG / Samsung have some nice ones coming out.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

what the internal memory is it 2gb or 8gb

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by mbaverizon View Post
    what the internal memory is it 2gb or 8gb
    The internal memory is indeed about 2.4GB usable. No if's and's or but's. However, since it comes with a 32GB SD card, it hardly matters. I guess you could say it's about 35GB of storage rather than 40. Still more than anyone needs it seems.

-Frank
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

I believe it actually has 8gb but only 2gb is free after the OS software.
    Device history:

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Mordecaidrake View Post
    There are already tons of threads on this. It is not 8GB even in the raw form. It is 4GB with 2.4GB usable. All the spec sheets and advertisements were in error.

-Frank
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

wow they must have loaded it with trash!! and what about the apps that wont go on the card, that 2.4 will go fast

wow they must have loaded it with trash!! and what about the apps that wont go on the card, that 2.4 will go fast
    It'll lasts much longer than you think, I have 60+ apps on my phone none on the sd card and I still have 2gb free.
    Device history:

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

I've got 37 apps loaded and still have 2.26GB left.

-Frank
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

It'll lasts much longer than you think, I have 60+ apps on my phone none on the sd card and I still have 2gb free.
    That's cool and good to know

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

I had the iPhone 4 before the thunderbolt. I wish i had it back after the update. GPS doesnt work unless on wifi, lose 3g data daily, and the random reboots are ridiculous. It doesnt matter what I am doing with the phone, from using the flashlight to checking email it will reboot. Why would verizon and htc let this build out if they knew of the reboot problems. Before the update my phone was perfect except for the mushy power button, but i could deal with that. I would wait on the thunderbolt for now and see what happens. Just my two cents
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by nufan4115 View Post
    I had the iPhone 4 before the thunderbolt. I wish i had it back after the update. GPS doesnt work unless on wifi, lose 3g data daily, and the random reboots are ridiculous. It doesnt matter what I am doing with the phone, from using the flashlight to checking email it will reboot. Why would verizon and htc let this build out if they knew of the reboot problems. Before the update my phone was perfect except for the mushy power button, but i could deal with that. I would wait on the thunderbolt for now and see what happens. Just my two cents
    its good to hear another view, yea i have zero problems with the iphone and aftwer jailbreaking its unbelieveable, but again i would like lte and a bigger screen, i wish verizon had the the samsung infuse

If I were you, I'd try out the phone at a Verizon store. I would also recommend that you wait until after the Gingerbread update before getting the TBolt if you do decide to go with it since Gingerbread will bring performance enhancements for the phone and will likely address some of the issues. I love my TBolt and, until I did the update, I had no problems. Now I have the occasional random restart (maybe once every other day) and the GPS is slower but it is otherwise ok. Gingerbread is expected before the end of June.

In the end, it is a matter of personal preference. Having used iOS, I know I will never have another iOS device unless there are some major changes made to the OS that would call my attention. Android offers the flexiblity that I want and, having LTE, is definitely a welcome change from 3G and iPhone will not have that probably until version 5.
    I choose Android...it's only logical.

Default I'd pass

I've rooted and messed around with mine a fair bit. I wouldn't say that I'm dissatisfied with my purchase - I hand an ancient flip phone for 4 years, but I feel like it offers no benefit over any well-designed smartphone. LTE is cute, but it doesn't do much for me. Perhaps I'm not playing with enough apps but after 2 months of data usage statistics don't suggest I've gained terribly much. Half the time I'm only in 3G or 1X coverage (in NYC!) so I wouldn't see a benefit if I was streaming video 24/7. My biggest complaint is battery life. As far as I'm concerned, the stock settings are tantamount to defect. If you can't leave the house in the morning and return home 12-18 hours later and make a call 100% of the time, the phone doesn't "work". I tweaked battery life to an acceptable level, but I had to void my warranty to do it...

ROM
    Synergy

well what do you guys think, i love the i phone 4 but wanting a bigger screen, LTE, etc....... my iphone 4 works flawlessly, and worried about all the problems with the thunderbolt, i have a guy want to ship first, is it worth the trade??
    Android is a whole different animal than iOS. If you never tinker with your phone, or have no desire to do so then I would recommend an iphone. Android allows you the most freedom to make your phone truly yours, but it comes at a cost for people who are less tech savvy because most of the time it doesn't 'just work' You have to make an effort to make it run at an optimal level. Once you get to that point it blows the iphone away.
    Thanked by:

I am fed up with my thunderbolt due to battery issues. Keep your I phone. If iPhone had bigger screen I would get one.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I would trade you my thunderbolt, I had the iPhone 4 on verizon and liked it but like you I wanted 4G and a bigger screen and I missed android because I has a Droid and a Droid X, but I regret giving up my iPhone now. The bbattery on the iPhone was way better and I had less problems withh my iPhone.

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

With all due respect to all Android people I have a Thunderbolt because I wanted faster data. But with the problems around the Tbolt and LTE, if you have a working iPhone4 keep it and wait for the bugs to be worked out and the new version of an HTC big screen phone is out and tested out.. TBolt is a better phone hardware wise (except maybe battery life), but the software and VZW system bugs are a real drag. I hope HTC's decision to unlock the bootloaders on their products is applied to the older phones like the TBolt.

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

If you get a Bolt that doesn't reboot you will really like it. I spent a week on the standard battery and purchased an extended one and have never looked back. Really can't understand what all of the battery complaints are about. Even the standard one met my daily needs with a few simple teaks. Now that the seido extended battery cases are out it is excellent.

I had a few reboots pre-OTA and then they stopped. I don't know what it was all about.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Ill trade u a droid 2 for the iphone 4 for verizon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast