New refurb phone from VZW came with 1.12.605.6 (old firmware), no reboots yet!

liquidice

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
So I got my refurb phone from VZW yesterday. The phone looked like it was brand new -- no glue or anything on the screen (that really sucks for the person who received this phone!). But it was definitely a refurb unit, has a green sticker on the screw hole.

The phone arrived with the old firmware though, and so far I have not been asked to upgrade. Additionally no reboots so far! Planning on ignoring the firmware upgrade until a new one comes out to fix the rebooting problem.

Old phone was completely stock (even stock launcher), no rooting or anything. Phone had no issues (other than the known ones, GPS, slow handoff between 4G/3G) until the OTA update. After the OTA update the phone rebooted twice in a 3 hour period and lately had started shutting off randomly instead of rebooting. Every time it shut off on its own it was on the charger with plenty of battery life (different chargers though).

If the problem annoys you enough, I'd recommend trying to get a replacement phone. If you're lucky you'll get it without the OTA update! Or you can always root and then downgrade too :)

EDIT - Oh, so I guess my topic shouldn't say "New refurb" since thats sort of an Oxymoron. It is new to ME :)

Reactions: Chrisy

INK

Banned
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Definitely don't do the ota update. Its a 50/50 split on if you'll get reboots or not. Better safe than sorry ya know ;)

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Definitely don't do the ota update. Its a 50/50 split on if you'll get reboots or not. Better safe than sorry ya know ;)

Would love to see some hard evidence on your numbers. I bet its nowhere near 50/50. If you're basing on these forums, that's pretty scewed data since less than 5% of Thunderbolt owners are on these forums.

liquidice

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I definitely will not be doing the OTA update. I'd rather have a phone that has a sluggish GPS lock (which I can fix with GPS Status) and poor audio on videos than one that reboots during Navigation (and it never fails it is right before a turn that I miss!).

And most of the time I turn off 4G to conserve battery life, so 4G to 3G hand-offs aren't that important either.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I definitely will not be doing the OTA update. I'd rather have a phone that has a sluggish GPS lock (which I can fix with GPS Status) and poor audio on videos than one that reboots during Navigation (and it never fails it is right before a turn that I miss!).

Or you could have everything working perfectly like a lot of us do. Tough call I guess. If I had problems, i'd probably err on the side of caution too.

liquidice

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Or you could have everything working perfectly like a lot of us do. Tough call I guess. If I had problems, i'd probably err on the side of caution too.

Yeah - it is weird. I kind of figured it wouldn't happen to me with the old phone ... and then poof, not an hour after the update it rebooted on its own.

For now, I think I'm going to hold tight -- maybe even wait until after Gingerbread comes out for awhile, which might end up being the next update anyway.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I got a refurb phone as well,,and it came with old firmware, but. Updated automatically to the latest by itself:(

Has same problems as old phone as well, high battery drain on idle, says 4g but no internet. I rarely get restarts, maybe 1 every day or two.

INK

Banned
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Would love to see some hard evidence on your numbers. I bet its nowhere near 50/50. If you're basing on these forums, that's pretty scewed data since less than 5% of Thunderbolt owners are on these forums.

I can only go on what I know /hear, Don't call me out bro :p

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So I got my refurb phone from VZW yesterday. The phone looked like it was brand new -- no glue or anything on the screen (that really sucks for the person who received this phone!). But it was definitely a refurb unit, has a green sticker on the screw hole.

The phone arrived with the old firmware though, and so far I have not been asked to upgrade. Additionally no reboots so far! Planning on ignoring the firmware upgrade until a new one comes out to fix the rebooting problem.

Old phone was completely stock (even stock launcher), no rooting or anything. Phone had no issues (other than the known ones, GPS, slow handoff between 4G/3G) until the OTA update. After the OTA update the phone rebooted twice in a 3 hour period and lately had started shutting off randomly instead of rebooting. Every time it shut off on its own it was on the charger with plenty of battery life (different chargers though).

If the problem annoys you enough, I'd recommend trying to get a replacement phone. If you're lucky you'll get it without the OTA update! Or you can always root and then downgrade too :)

EDIT - Oh, so I guess my topic shouldn't say "New refurb" since thats sort of an Oxymoron. It is new to ME :)

Thanks for the info. I'm going to give it a month and if an update isn't out to fix this issue I will get a replacement. Some days I have no reboots. Today, when using GPS for Nav and compass, I had two reboots within 15 minutes of each other.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Why would someone not call you out? Someone who doesnt know better would take your statement as fact and influence a decision they would make.

i took his "it's a 50-50 split on if you'll get reboots or not" to mean it's either going to happen, or not going to happen--hence, a 50-50. i don't think he meant to imply that half of thunderbolt users are experiencing reboots.

but--as i'm interpreting it--you were, too. so. we both are entitled to our view of what he said.

personally, i wouldn't accept any OTA on that thing. i WISH i could revert back & am gonna see if i can.

liquidice

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I'm going to give it a month and if an update isn't out to fix this issue I will get a replacement. Some days I have no reboots. Today, when using GPS for Nav and compass, I had two reboots within 15 minutes of each other.

Only bad thing is - the longer you wait, the more likely the phone you get back will have the new firmware on it already. I guess it is feasible that the new firmware will cause no problems as a lot of folks seem completely fine.

I have been working at a different location the past 2 weeks and been using the Navigation everyday (I mostly know where I'm going by now -but it helps when you're tired in the morning to have the navigation remind you where to go) - it started becoming frustrating that almost every time I would use the Navigation that it would shut off on me. So far - feeling a lot happier about the replacement phone.

dmarlow83

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
My Certified like new replacement came yesterday as well, I got it last night out of the mail and went ahead and installed the software update, if it was going to have problems I was going to find out right away... so I just clicked on software update and did it. Low and behold the update was pushed to the phone again on the next reboot, something interesting though, the update message both times said the update was a "special offering from verizon" haha I'm not sure what that meant.

Anyways, I left it off the charger all last night since the update since the battery was charged from the old phone already, so far I'm up to 11+ hours of up time with no reboots.

I will do my best to update as to whether or not I continue with this success or not, I'm going to wait till tomorrow to ship my original phone back to VZW, since I have 5 days, I want to use one of and make sure the phone is functioning as it should, if I get the same issues I may send back the like new...

liquidice

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I wish I could revert back too. No reboots and better battery life. :(

If you root you can go backwards. Some folks are even applying the new firmware (with GPS fixes, audio fixes, etc) but not the Radio firmware which a lot of folks are blaming on the reboot problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome