Considering the results of the last OTA, are you gonna "Jump" on the Gingerbread OTA?

Considering the results of the last OTA, are you gonna "Jump" on the Gingerbread OTA?

• Total voters

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

-Yes

-No

-I'm gonna wait and see

I'll jump. Just 'cuz, that's the way I am :) And, fortunately, the last OTA has been good to me. :)

-Frank

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Same here and Gingerbread is a MAJOR update so I'd figure the engineers are probably being run ragged to see if there is anything they can do to break it before they push it.

Buzzy42

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I'll wait and see-- I was really trying to "jump" on the original OTA as I really needed the fixed video recording but thankfully I was never offered the update and saw the disaster it became. (I know, not for everyone) So my Bolt currently stays as is, but I'm really going to be ready for a nice upgrade.. my "wait and see" period may only last a few hours.. ;) (Although I think the random reboots became apparent pretty fast after OTA launched)

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
GB is an OS update so definitely.
But, but... since HTC is gonna have to "integrate" HTC Sense into it, and it will become an "HTC Product" upon release, isn't it also likely to have a new HTC radio? Or two? Or radio fixes? Even if only fixes for HTC's hardware "integration" to the radios (with potential for real radio performance improvement - i.e. Switching 3G/4G etc.) :)

-Frank

Last edited:

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
But, but... since HTC is gonna have to "integrate" HTC Sense into it, and it will become an "HTC Product" upon release, isn't it also likely to have a new HTC radio? Or two? Or radio fixes? Even if only fixes for HTC's hardware "integration" to the radios (with potential for real radio performance improvement - i.e. Switching 3G/4G etc.) :)

-Frank

Sense is software... radios are firmware.

mercury694

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I'll wait also. I don't *need* the update, and the last one burned me good. A couple weeks or a month won't make much difference to me. The rest of you can be beta. ;)

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Sense is software... radios are firmware.
Firmware is another word for software burned into a chip. Often via an OTA update. When the last OTA update was released, it burned itself into a chip on the phone, hence it modified the "firmware". That is why if you "restore factory default" you still have the update. Because it overwrote the previous version firmware on the chip. IOW, firmware = software.

-Frank

shelby57

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I will install the ota gingerbread, as I had no problems with the ota 2.2 on my incredible. I had a mess with the Verizon ota update on the incredible that added more bloatware. I was very Leary of Verizon's ota for the thunderbolt but out side of a once a day restart all has been fine for me. I will be again Leary of any Verizon ota after GB. I don't need more bloatware messes. I did hear one downfall on the GB update, you can no longer use call filters or blockers. Any info on this? Non rooted TB

DC Damien

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I'd be happy with an OTA to fix the problems caused by the last one. Reboot isn't frequent but seem to happen when I'm in the middle of an important email. Plus now having trouble keeping a constant 3G or 4G connection. I find it hard to believe GB is coming soon. They'll wait until they need to use it to extend sales of new devices.