Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Question Thunderbolt OTA...

I just bought 2 New Thunderbolt from customerservice. I live in florida in the extended part of 4G, if i travel 5 miles south i am in 4g and all i can say is wow, my question it is asking me to download this latest OTA. I have read so many of complaints that they wish they didn't, but then there are people so say they have had no problems????

CLEDUS

It's a 50/50 shot, there's something buggy in the software. I'd say hold off downloading it, the only real benefit is the GPS fix. Personally I've only had a few reboots, other than that the phone runs tip top.
    Device history:
    Storm 1 > Tour > Droid > Droid Incredible > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > Motorola Razr HD MAXX & Nexus 7

I think you are going to hear both sides of this... personally, I have had NO issues... no reboots... no issues at all. But I'm sure there are a lot that have had nothing but issues. If you just bought the phones, then I'd update and if there are issues I'd bring them back before the trial period is up and demand new ones.
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts

I wish I didn't do the OTA update. The reboots are annoying.

ROM
    Bamf Paradigm

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisy View Post
    I wish I didn't do the OTA update. The reboots are annoying.
    agreed.

i wouldn't do the update.

It is to my knowledge and understanding that the reboots are caused by the 4G/3G data when switching back and forth. HTC and Verizon are apparently working on a solution.
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts

Also want to say that before he OTA update I didn't have any reboots or GPS or battery issues. Now my battery drains more because of the Rebooting process. I don't have 4G here, solid 3G.

Global Posts
    1,460 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I bought a Thunderblot from a corporate store last Thursday. My phone has NEVER asked me to do the update. I live in 3G only area and have yet to go into a 4G market.

Why isnt it asking me to update? I thought maybe they pulled the update.

Quote Originally Posted by 0pusX View Post
    I bought a Thunderblot from a corporate store last Thursday. My phone has NEVER asked me to do the update. I live in 3G only area and have yet to go into a 4G market.

Why isnt it asking me to update? I thought maybe they pulled the update.
    Go to Settings > About phone > Software Information > look at the Build number... mine is 1.12.605.6... what is yours?

I did the update two weekends ago, I haven't had any problems. I haven't had any reboots, don't notice any difference in the battery life. The only plus I have noticed is the GPS fix, it works a lot better and faster. If you don't use the maps/gps on the phone, I would say wait until the next update comes out.

Global Posts
    1,460 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    Go to Settings > About phone > Software Information > look at the Build number... mine is 1.12.605.6... what is yours?

Mine is that also.

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

My build number is 1.13.605.7

I finally got sick of the reboots & worse battery life so last night I finally called Verizon & ended up doing the hard reset. It seems to have worked but time will tell. Before doing this I did notice that the gps wasn't any faster than before but now it seems to lock on much faster. The battery life also seems to be back to where it was before the OTA. I also noticed that the market UI was updated once I did this.

I got my Thunderbolt on launch day so I'm thinking that the OTA gets stuck somewhere in between when you update it for some people with earlier phones. My suggestion would be to only do the OTA if you can handle doing the hard reset afterwards.

According HTC's tech report the OTA has been pulled.

Global Posts
    986 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock I don't root

I just got my TB and the software is 1.13.605.7

I never ok'd an update request. Do you think it came with the update already installed or was the update pushed??
    Send from my fingers, using a pencil and a piece of paper that someone faxed to someone who scanned it and then typed it on this forum using a TRS-80 Model 3.

Global Posts
    11,759 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefmcfuz View Post
    I just got my TB and the software is 1.13.605.7

I never ok'd an update request. Do you think it came with the update already installed or was the update pushed??
    Update was probably on the phone when you got it.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinomo View Post
    I finally got sick of the reboots & worse battery life so last night I finally called Verizon & ended up doing the hard reset. It seems to have worked but time will tell. Before doing this I did notice that the gps wasn't any faster than before but now it seems to lock on much faster. The battery life also seems to be back to where it was before the OTA. I also noticed that the market UI was updated once I did this.

I got my Thunderbolt on launch day so I'm thinking that the OTA gets stuck somewhere in between when you update it for some people with earlier phones. My suggestion would be to only do the OTA if you can handle doing the hard reset afterwards.
    How do u do the hard reset?
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts

Menu, Settings, SD & phone storage, Factory Data Reset.

ROM
    Stock

I did the update and I wish I hadn't. I have had problems ever since. My battery life dropped to 1/2. I used to get 16 to 20 hours on the stock battery with WiFi turned on, GPS turned on and bluetooth turned on. Now, I'm lucky if I get 8 hours. I get 3 to 8 reboots a day. My GPS has always locked within 10 seconds so I haven't had the GPS lock issues.

I didn't do a factory reset since I don't want to reload and reconfigure all my apps. That's a mixed bag, too. Some did the factory reset and they're fine, others, not so much.

That's just my 2 cents worth.

Bill
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Looks like the thunderbolt on the second line ended up installing the update and all it does is reboot no more then an hr up time before reboot. First line phone has not installed the ota yet thank goodness . Verizon already ordered me a new Thunderbolt for my second line. Hopefully no issues . Verizon did mention that there close to another ota to fix that rebooting . Of course take that with grain of salt and he probably said that just to make me happy .

ROM
    DasBamf 2.0b5

The most annoying aspect of the reboot fiasco isn't the reboots themselves. It's the energy that HTC and Verizon are undoubtedly spending on this issue that they should be spending on getting us 2.3.x

Mine is1.03.605.10

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mlpjunior View Post
    The most annoying aspect of the reboot fiasco isn't the reboots themselves. It's the energy that HTC and Verizon are undoubtedly spending on this issue that they should be spending on getting us 2.3.x
    Agree 1000%
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

The thing thats got me is if htc and verizon both know about this issue about rebooting then why is the update still there, when i asked him he stated not everyone has issue's just most do, well after an hr and 45min on the phone and offering to send me a "like new" device. I was like no sir, i just bought this 2 days ago. he kept going on and and on about how "like new" has to go through 100 point inspection. and so on. finally he saiid okay I will reorder you another one, (new) but now its after the shipping time. so now it wont ship till tuesday. Because of the weekend and closed monday.

Well, I finally called my local V. Store and talked to someone about the reboots and he told me to turn off 4G, which I have done. My question is does this really work?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast