Major data issues in Raleigh/Durham

ncwildcat

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Horrible data in Raleigh/Durham for weeks now...constantly dropping data on my t-bolt. At first j thought it was the bolt, but my Inc and x also keep having major network issues. Most of my coworkers use Verizon and all have experienced similar issues. Does anybody have any ideas as to why? I called Verizon and they said the area has degregated service, but I have no idea what that means

Droid38

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I live in Apex and work in N Raleigh. I have noticed data issues as well and spend way more time on
1X then I ever did with my OG Droid. I also have way more issues with dropping calls. I have been wondering if it is a eHRPD issue.....

ncwildcat

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I live in Apex also, which is where I see be most problems. Don't think it is eHRPD as it has been effecting my sons incredible and wife's dx as well

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Anyone having issues today? Can't get 3G signal without enabling Rev-A and 1X doesn't work unless I set it to LTE only. Thought it might've been Gingerbread related but restored all the way back to stock and still no cellular data.

mtillett

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Haven't experienced the issues myself - but FWIW I was in the SouthPoint VZW store last Friday and they said service has been poor b/c they were merging the old Alltel towers with the Verizon towers. No idea if that's accurate though...

suddendebt

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I have been having serious data issues in RTP since last week. Basically, my Bolt is current uselss (its a data only device). I called VZW and they said its a tower issue and the technician can't goto the site urgently since not many users reported. So if you guys are having issues, please call and report.

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Make sure to call customer service and let them know what kind of problems you are seeing and the exact location. Get some trouble tickets open for your area so they know where the problems are. Customer service did say that they are in fact integrating the VZW and ALLTEL networks in Raleigh.

Also, our system ID has changed to 578 (this can be seen in the FieldTrial app). It used to be 69 for Verizon Wireless and 144 for ALLTEL.

I happened to see someone on one of the cell sites today. It looked like he may have been installing new antennas on the site, hopefully designed for 700MHz (which would mean LTE is coming soon).

ncwildcat

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Has anybody seen any improvement?? I spoke with network level support over the weekend and they said that the network in the Raleigh/Durham area is receiving more complaints than any other area nationwide.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Seems to be working fine for me in Garner as of two nights ago. Finally managed to get and maintain stable 3G connection using eHRPD instead of Rev-A.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm in NY-Long Island and I am experiencing the same problems. Certain areas I will get great 3G where other areas I won't get ANY data connection, not even 1x and those are areas I've never had a problem with before. In the areas that there is no data connection, the battery in my phone drains real fast and the phone heats up while it tries hunting for data connectivity. This has been going on for 2-3 weeks now.

suddendebt

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Anyone knows whats going on with Verizon towers in Raleigh. The data speeds are crap and constant drops. I have the ticket open for about a month now. Even my workmates who don't have Thunderbolt have serious data issues.

ncwildcat

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Anyone knows whats going on with Verizon towers in Raleigh. The data speeds are crap and constant drops. I have the ticket open for about a month now. Even my workmates who don't have Thunderbolt have serious data issues.

They are doing some upgrades...I too have many tickets in...something with the old alltel towers...but yea its crap here

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
They are doing some upgrades...I too have many tickets in...something with the old alltel towers...but yea its crap here

Have you noticed phones flipping between a very weak and very strong signal? This seems to be a large part of the problem. It seems to be worse in some places than others. Northwest Raleigh seems to be really bad, but that's where I live so maybe I just notice it more.

My speculation is that they shut down some cell sites in areas where VZW and Alltel had sites very close together, and now the phone sometimes tries to connect to a more distant site than it should. If this is what is happening, it should get better once they are done with the integration.

Everyone that has problems, please keep calling customer service! Some reps want to deny that there are any issues in the area, so the more people that complain, the better. And if you find a good rep, get their direct number if you can. This way, you won't have to talk to someone different every time.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Luckily mine has gotten better over the last week here in garner. Before last Friday, my 3G was inconsistent and a lot of times I'd have no data at all but now it seems to be pretty solid. *knock on wood*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678