VZW's Thunderbolt Love???

trjnberry

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Chrisy, I thought you were already using Bitbop. At one time, I was considering it as an alternative to V Cast Video. I used V Cast on my Tour. It's one of many reasons I chose the Thunderbolt, to get a bigger screen to watch my favorite shows. And V Cast had most of them, current episodes, too.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

trjnberry

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Glad you got the humor. :)

They have been "hearing" from us from day ONE - Me included. If they haven't heard us by now, they just ain't listening.....and they don't keep score on who helps and who doesn't. ;)

The list of grievances and fixes are long, made longer by the last OTA "fix."

They are probably spread too thin in their tech dept, prepping all the NEW phones, fixing the "old" phones takes a back seat.

I wonder if they just work like a cashier in a holiday rush.. the line is never going to end, so why bother hustling to get people out sooner?! I wonder whether these updates & app availability per device are on some kind of schedule and that we'll get it whenever that schedule comes complete. I wonder whether they just let the forums moan & groan, while they keep to their schedule. "They" referring to the manufacturers, developers, & carriers. I just wonder sometimes. :D

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if they just work like a cashier in a holiday rush.. the line is never going to end, so why bother hustling to get people out sooner?! I wonder whether these updates & app availability per device are on some kind of schedule and that we'll get it whenever that schedule comes complete. I wonder whether they just let the forums moan & groan, while they keep to their schedule. "They" referring to the manufacturers, developers, & carriers. I just wonder sometimes. :D

I'm sure their schedule doesn't change because of forum chatter, they know what's wrong and they probably want to fix everything. It's a matter of priorities, time and resources.

They don't have time to read all of these threads and posts, but they might have someone skim the topics and/or contact the web owners for an overview of what people are saying.

kalopsia

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Eh...don't most of the issues with the Thunderbolt fall on HTC and the 3rd party app developers such as Netflix? Saying Verizon has 'pull' is a cop out to simply blame someone you can reach. It's like complaining to the waiter when your food is overcooked at a restaurant...you yell at him, when in reality, it's usually the chef, but he's in the kitchen and is harder to yell at.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
The # (hash) is to tag a message so that other people can search on that tag to see similar tweets. For example, you can see all the tweets where people talk about the Thunderbolt: Twitter
Yeah, I don't really get the point of the hash mark either. If you do a search on Twitter for "ThunderBolt" you get all the #ThunderBolt tweets as well as the ThunderBolt tweets.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
The # makes the word clickable, so you can click on it in a person's twitt and follow all of the twitts with the #words.
Thanks. Clickable is nice, but the search results will only come up with tweets of, eg, #ThunderBolt, and not "ThunderBolt" so I'd still rather do a search and get both.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Back on topic. Veriozon does not have any real motivation to get Netflix and Skype video chat and other such programs working well until they introduce tiered data prices. At that point everything will work great, be sure of that.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Back on topic. Veriozon does not have any real motivation to get Netflix and Skype video chat and other such programs working well until they introduce tiered data prices. At that point everything will work great, be sure of that.

Really... you think everything will work great and all 3rd party developers will get all their apps to work on ALL devices as soon as Verizon gets their tiered data pricing in place... LOL!!!!

I do understand that Verizon doesn't control other apps, but they definitely had plans to put Skype on the Thunderbolt prior to it coming out... and the launch of the Tbolt was definitely delayed for some time... then Verizon had to finally put little stickers over the Skype symbols on all their Tbolt launch posters... and now a number of months later we all are still waiting... so why don't we have Skype yet??? Verizon now just continue to blame it on the developers.

kalopsia

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, I don't twitter. I just remember reading that # marks a topic, and if you want your twitts to be included in the discussion or whatever, to use the # before the topic keyword.

And I agree about the tiered data probably being a factor. I bet data usage will skyrocket when Skype/Netflix become available.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
The love is over, you signed the contract. We are now in the part of the relationship where Verizon is sitting on the couch in dirty sweat pants all day picking their nose.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Really... you think everything will work great and all 3rd party developers will get all their apps to work on ALL devices as soon as Verizon gets their tiered data pricing in place... LOL!!!!

I do understand that Verizon doesn't control other apps, but they definitely had plans to put Skype on the Thunderbolt prior to it coming out... and the launch of the Tbolt was definitely delayed for some time... then Verizon had to finally put little stickers over the Skype symbols on all their Tbolt launch posters... and now a number of months later we all are still waiting... so why don't we have Skype yet??? Verizon now just continue to blame it on the developers.
No, not all 3rd party developers, of course, but the big branded data-intensive software like Skype and Netflix will be running fine by that point. Take a look at the Skype website and you will see that it is clearly a collaboration with Verizon.

We know that Skype video chat is already working on the ThunderBolt. Skype video chat was indeed delayed, but Verizon obviously decided to launch wihout it, but it was a big part of their premarketing. I'm certain they had a lot of commercials set to air with the release of the ThunderBolt that woud have highlighted the coolness of video calls on 4G. We won't see those commercials, but we'll see similar ones that do not focus on the ThunderBolt but on all their 4G phones. The launch of the ThunderBolt was obviously scaled back.

We also now know that Netflix can work on a ThunderBolt with Gingerbread, which Verizon is scheduled to deliver to the ThunderBolt just in time for tiered data. I can't really speak to other major branded datacentric software, but I would expect that Verizon is collaborating with developers where it sees good opportunities for ROI. An exception may be Comcast, which competes intensely with Verizon Fios. HBO Go is a start, but the rest of Comcast's programming may not roll out as quickly.

As for the reasons for the 'delay' of the ThunderBolt, it was not because of the delay of Skype video. Verizon announced that Skype video chat was delayed and the launch of the ThunderBolt went ahead, not quite as planned, but it was still released a couple of weeks after the 2/28 Skype delayed target was missed. From what we know and other rather reliable sources, it seems the delay was mostly because of kinks in the 4G network still being worked out. Lots of resources had been devoted to strengthening traditional 3G to prepare for the launch of the CDMA iPhone. I'm sure so many new iPhone users put additional stress on the network and work on tweaking and building 4G suffered. That was the major reason, but there were also minor timing issues around other devices.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
The love is over, you signed the contract. We are now in the part of the relationship where Verizon is sitting on the couch in dirty sweat pants all day picking their nose.
Yep, I joke about that with Verizon reps. I was off contract with Verizon for a couple of years with warranty replacement upgrades, and I got everything I wanted whenever I called them. But there was no way they were going to upgrade my Touch Pro2 to a ThunderBolt, so I bit the bullet and signed a contract. They still treat me pretty well, but not quite the red carpet treatment I enjoyed for those couple of years. But they still want the long-term relationship so they're nice enough. As long as they don't wipe their boogers on my couch.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I joke about that with Verizon reps. I was off contract with Verizon for a couple of years with warranty replacement upgrades, and I got everything I wanted whenever I called them. But there was no way they were going to upgrade my Touch Pro2 to a ThunderBolt, so I bit the bullet and signed a contract. They still treat me pretty well, but not quite the red carpet treatment I enjoyed for those couple of years. But they still want the long-term relationship so they're nice enough. As long as they don't wipe their boogers on my couch.

*Stands up and walks away from the couch*

I did nothing.

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site

Right. Once you sign the contract, you are married and the courtship is over.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

When I use Skype, I notice usage around 12 mb/min maximum. Assuming tier like at&t, that would hit 2gb can in less than 3 hours.