wireless tether

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I plan on upgrading to a thunderbolt and using it to tether wirelessly. I've read reviews that the wireless tether tends to cut off. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks!

fabrini

May 24, 2010
Visit site
When using mobile hotspot on Thunderbolt I get constant disconnects and switching between 3g and 4g. Exact same phone in Same location using wired usb tether works perfectly.

Sent from my Thunderbolt with Tapatalk.

m1armor

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had any issues aswell. I was playing on xbox live for a good three hours using for and with host most of the time while playing lol.

lindros2#AC

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I only used for a week but never really had a problem. It cut off once or twice but re-connecting was quick.

I have the same type of issues with an AT&T iPhone (which replaced the TBolt). Wired tether is more reliable.

On a somewhat related note, be VERY careful regarding the amount of data you use. It's easy to get up to 1-2 GB tethered data usage in a week. While Verizon is still "unlimited", they will monitor you.

Again on the iPhone even after being stuck in an airport for 7 hours, I only used about 300MB of data. I'm not sure if AT&T is "less chatty" (after the recent class-action lawsuit was filed they may have changed data usage monitoring), or if the 4G device just pulls more data, more quickly...

skidawg

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Mine works fine for about 5 minutes then goes into constant disconnects/reconnects on my macbook pro, making it unusable. Funny thing is I can Skype Video on my iPad all day without any disconnects... Very Frustrating!

Noble_Logistics

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I plan on upgrading to a thunderbolt and using it to tether wirelessly. I've read reviews that the wireless tether tends to cut off. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks!

Today, I tried to tether the TB to my Dell laptop for about three hours while watching the NASCAR race, parked in Kettleman City, CA along I5 (BOONIES). The wireless connection (wifi stayed connected but lost internet) lasted for a couple of minutes at a time and the wired tether wasn't much better.

However, my Verizon Netbook stayed connected the whole time.

Any thoughts I had of dropping my "unlimited data" Netbook for the unusable Mobile Hotspot were thrown out the window...

I called VZW yesterday about "New Every 2" for my Netbook only to find that there are none available...

I was told that I could use a 3G mifi on that account but don't really know what to do now:(

ongre10

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
It is undependable and even with strong 4G signal disconnects. You will have to have it plugged in or the battery will suck dry very quickly. I would consider a WiFi modem instead of using a phone for tethering.

micwag2

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Aside from what everyone is saying about disconnects, doesn't Verizon whack you with charges for tethering? Or is it a freebie because its built into the Thunderbolt? I came from using a BlackBerry and was told you get charged extra to tether. When tethering my BlackBerry just to see if it worked it would re-direct me to a Verizon page that informed me to call customer service to add this option to my plan. When testing the mobile hotspot on my Thunderbolt I got no such warning or message. Seemed to work ok though. Didn't drop the connection.

Chillerman

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Aside from what everyone is saying about disconnects, doesn't Verizon whack you with charges for tethering? Or is it a freebie because its built into the Thunderbolt? I came from using a BlackBerry and was told you get charged extra to tether. When tethering my BlackBerry just to see if it worked it would re-direct me to a Verizon page that informed me to call customer service to add this option to my plan. When testing the mobile hotspot on my Thunderbolt I got no such warning or message. Seemed to work ok though. Didn't drop the connection.

It's free until June 15th or 16th using the included hotspot app. After that you will get charged, unless they extend it again. But you can always get Wireless Tether app.