1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default wireless tether

I plan on upgrading to a thunderbolt and using it to tether wirelessly. I've read reviews that the wireless tether tends to cut off. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks!

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Mine does

ROM
    Sense 3.0 RC4

There is a setting in the program to set no idle shut off. After changing this, mine still has problems from time to time.

When using mobile hotspot on Thunderbolt I get constant disconnects and switching between 3g and 4g. Exact same phone in Same location using wired usb tether works perfectly.

Sent from my Thunderbolt with Tapatalk.

Global Posts
    368 Global Posts

I have an occasional drop in 3g, which is bad. I don't even try the hotspot in 4g since it's even more undependable.

No issues for me. 1 to 2 hours at work. AC forums and youtube are block so I use my Bolt.

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF 1.6

Constantly. Worse with my Mac.

I haven't had any issues aswell. I was playing on xbox live for a good three hours using for and with host most of the time while playing lol.

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Never had any problems use mine daily for long periods of time.

I only used for a week but never really had a problem. It cut off once or twice but re-connecting was quick.

I have the same type of issues with an AT&T iPhone (which replaced the TBolt). Wired tether is more reliable.

On a somewhat related note, be VERY careful regarding the amount of data you use. It's easy to get up to 1-2 GB tethered data usage in a week. While Verizon is still "unlimited", they will monitor you.

Again on the iPhone even after being stuck in an airport for 7 hours, I only used about 300MB of data. I'm not sure if AT&T is "less chatty" (after the recent class-action lawsuit was filed they may have changed data usage monitoring), or if the 4G device just pulls more data, more quickly...

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Mine works fine for about 5 minutes then goes into constant disconnects/reconnects on my macbook pro, making it unusable. Funny thing is I can Skype Video on my iPad all day without any disconnects... Very Frustrating!

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsamus View Post
    I plan on upgrading to a thunderbolt and using it to tether wirelessly. I've read reviews that the wireless tether tends to cut off. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks!
    Today, I tried to tether the TB to my Dell laptop for about three hours while watching the NASCAR race, parked in Kettleman City, CA along I5 (BOONIES). The wireless connection (wifi stayed connected but lost internet) lasted for a couple of minutes at a time and the wired tether wasn't much better.

However, my Verizon Netbook stayed connected the whole time.

Any thoughts I had of dropping my "unlimited data" Netbook for the unusable Mobile Hotspot were thrown out the window...

I called VZW yesterday about "New Every 2" for my Netbook only to find that there are none available...

I was told that I could use a 3G mifi on that account but don't really know what to do now

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

It is undependable and even with strong 4G signal disconnects. You will have to have it plugged in or the battery will suck dry very quickly. I would consider a WiFi modem instead of using a phone for tethering.

ROM
    AOKP B27(Swagger enabled)

FWIW I have not had any issues tethering. I tether about 8 hours a day m-f at work to bypass those pesky web filters

Global Posts
    225 Global Posts

Aside from what everyone is saying about disconnects, doesn't Verizon whack you with charges for tethering? Or is it a freebie because its built into the Thunderbolt? I came from using a BlackBerry and was told you get charged extra to tether. When tethering my BlackBerry just to see if it worked it would re-direct me to a Verizon page that informed me to call customer service to add this option to my plan. When testing the mobile hotspot on my Thunderbolt I got no such warning or message. Seemed to work ok though. Didn't drop the connection.

ROM
    BamfRemix2.06UrbanTheme

Quote Originally Posted by micwag2 View Post
    Aside from what everyone is saying about disconnects, doesn't Verizon whack you with charges for tethering? Or is it a freebie because its built into the Thunderbolt? I came from using a BlackBerry and was told you get charged extra to tether. When tethering my BlackBerry just to see if it worked it would re-direct me to a Verizon page that informed me to call customer service to add this option to my plan. When testing the mobile hotspot on my Thunderbolt I got no such warning or message. Seemed to work ok though. Didn't drop the connection.
    It's free until June 15th or 16th using the included hotspot app. After that you will get charged, unless they extend it again. But you can always get Wireless Tether app.