Skype Voice

mudpud

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered a Thunderbolt. In the mean time:

I was wondering if someone could tell me if Skype Audio Calls (via Verizon's Voice network, not 3G/LTE/Wifi) are working? Currently, I use the Verizon Skype app on my Droid Incredible and it works great. I'm not worried about minutes because I never go over. All Skype calls go through a special assigned Skype number that the app generates and Verizon deducts regular voice minutes for the length of the conversation.

I don't care about video calling - I just want to be able to use Skype Voice calls on my Thunderbolt without having to be connected to WiFi.

I've searched the web over and over, but nobody seems to have an answer. Everybody is focusing on video.

I know that there is a Skype Video app for Thunderbolt in the Market, but apparently the app doesn't work at all? Can one use the regular Verizon-branded Skype App on the Thunderbolt for Skype calls without video?

Thanks...now I'm thinking I made the wrong decision to leave my precious 1-year old INC and go for the Bolt.

mudpud

May 5, 2010
Visit site

This is what I'm talking about - nobody knows for sure. I just want to know if Skype Mobile works on the Thunderbolt for its intended purpose.

THX

mudpud

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Ok I lied, you'll have to use a leaked version for it to work. Market version doesn't work.

That sucks!

Maybe I should have gone for the Charge. I just didn't want to deal with Samsung's restrictive policies and also them taking 2 years to update Android.

bthomp21

Banned
Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
That sucks!

Maybe I should have gone for the Charge. I just didn't want to deal with Samsung's restrictive policies and also them taking 2 years to update Android.

the official update will be soon and include video. the leaked versions arent hard to find.

mudpud

May 5, 2010
Visit site
the official update will be soon and include video. the leaked versions arent hard to find.

Didn't one of the leaked versions have a security flaw? I assume the updated fixed it. Didn't both leaked versions suffer from lost calls and sudden shutdowns?

I'm running CyanogenMod 7.0 on my Incredible and even on the Inc, Skype Mobile goes offline frequently so I have to constantly keep checking whether it's online. It shouldn't go offline because I never lose 3G access.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Didn't one of the leaked versions have a security flaw? I assume the updated fixed it. Didn't both leaked versions suffer from lost calls and sudden shutdowns?

I'm running CyanogenMod 7.0 on my Incredible and even on the Inc, Skype Mobile goes offline frequently so I have to constantly keep checking whether it's online. It shouldn't go offline because I never lose 3G access.

Skype for Android has the security flaw, which Skype fixed. Skype MOBILE never had any security flaws.

mudpud

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Not the one from the Market. You have to install from a leaked apk.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

That's just great!

I wonder how long it will take Verizon and Skype to get their act together. Mid July before Skype Mobile is working on the Thunderbolt?

I repeat - I DO NOT WANT VIDEO. I just want to be able to make plain audio calls over Skype Mobile.

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
That's just great!

I wonder how long it will take Verizon and Skype to get their act together. Mid July before Skype Mobile is working on the Thunderbolt?

I repeat - I DO NOT WANT VIDEO. I just want to be able to make plain audio calls over Skype Mobile.

I have been using the leaked version and its been working very well.... Voice calls as well as video

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
That's just great!

No choice on that one... The only version of Skype Mobile that the Thunderbolt supports is Skype Mobile with Video, although you don't HAVE to make video calls with it... its just an option.

The leaked version is currently the only way to get it sadly.

mudpud

May 5, 2010
Visit site
No choice on that one... The only version of Skype Mobile that the Thunderbolt supports is Skype Mobile with Video, although you don't HAVE to make video calls with it... its just an option.

The leaked version is currently the only way to get it sadly.

Any idea on how long it will take Verizon+Skype to get a working "official" version? Some blogs online were pessimistic and thought this would never happen. I highly doubt that.

I think Verizon & HTC really screwed up on this phone. They wanted it all: 4.3" screen + LTE. It just doesn't work. They should have been more modest and made a 3.7" or at the most a 4" screen.

Of course, I have yet to receive the phone in the mail. I'm nervous b/c I've never bought a phone on ebay. Right now, my Incredible has Assurion on it, but once I switch to the ebay Thunderbolt, Verizon will want nothing to do with me. You're pretty much on your own once you tell them that you got a phone from a private party.

I have a 7-day return policy so if this is one of those scandalous faulty Thunderbolts (some users have reported returning 3+ phone back to Verizon), I'm shipping it back.

fretwire

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
My problem is fragmentation of Skype itself. There are two different versions, why? If I want video I have to use Skype for mobile. I don't like that. I have the regular version of Skype and it won't do video. I never need to Skype mobile, so why am I being forced to use that if I want video?

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
My problem is fragmentation of Skype itself. There are two different versions, why? If I want video I have to use Skype for mobile. I don't like that. I have the regular version of Skype and it won't do video. I never need to Skype mobile, so why am I being forced to use that if I want video?

I have no idea why exactly Skype for Android does not support video yet, but I suspect it may have to do with the mixture of manufacturers that make video capable phones and/or the network protocols used. I don't think those necessarily apply, since the iPhone 4 is on two networks now, and Skype for iPhone supports video on both, so who knows. That is entirely on Skype (well, Microsoft here soon).

Skype Mobile (which is for Verizon only) is only fragmented twice. One is for non-video capable phones. The other is for video. Its just easier having a customized version of Skype Mobile for video-capable devices. Otherwise, both versions operate the same.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech