Thunderbolt stuck in Hboot

atcjr

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I've checked other threads but can seem to find anything for the Tbolt stuck in hboot. it looks for some img.zip files but no joy. then it just goes back to the hboot screen. I'm not rooted. the phone is about a month old. The recovery freezes . the factory reset starts and returns to the hboot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

atcjr

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I've done the Fastboot: Looks for the img.zip files and then returns to the hboot screen. Recovery freezes. I have to remove the battery. The factory reset starts but after a minute returns to the hboot screen.

atcjr

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, After fast boot there are options: Bootloader, reboot, reboot boot loader and power down. Tried them all. Power down goes off for 10 sec then comes back on.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hum, try pulling your SD card out and selecting reboot option. What were you doing for this to happen initially?

If the above option doesn't work you might be able to load a RUU (the image zip it looks for) onto your SD card and have it flash that.

If you cant figure out how to get it working I'm sure VZW will replace it for free.

See this thread if you want to try loading the recent RUU on there-
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-thunderbolt/78393-installing-new-ruu-non-rooted-users.html

Last edited:

atcjr

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Phone was just charging and in one of the reboots just did not come back. The VZW techs looked at it but this was their first Tbolt return. I'll try the sd removal. where are the img.zip files stored? on the phone or the sd card?

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Phone was just charging and in one of the reboots just did not come back. The VZW techs looked at it but this was their first Tbolt return. I'll try the sd removal. where are the img.zip files stored? on the phone or the sd card?

Instructions for installing the RUU zip- Remember this will wipe all data

1- Download the ~400MB file from the linked page in the thread I posted in my last post. MAKE sure you download the one for NON-root users since that is what you are.
2- Verify the MD5 sums are the same (use this MD5 checker if you don't have one. MD5summer - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Downloads)
3- Make sure the 400MB file is labeled PG05IMG.zip, If you're in windows make sure that it's not zip.zp.
4- Put the file on the root of the SD card ( aka not in any Folders)
Boot into Hboot (volume down +power)
5- It should automatically load up and agree to the update
6 Once done it prompts to press power to reboot, do it.
7 If all goes well take the 400MB file off you SD card once done. If you leave it on every time you go to Hboot it will try and instal it.

MD5 should be 4fcc7cf0c4b112667e5caa5a2a4557ee

Last edited:

atcjr

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I got the ruu file. I loaded it and it asked me to reboot. didn't work right I'm back to the hboot. How do I check the MD5 sums. I dowloaded the file from cnet. Is it the same as the ruu? Load it into the root directory and run it from the hboot?

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Md5 is just a way to make sure the download was not corrupted. You run the program from cnet and paste the md5 into the program and also load the 400mb file into it and the program will verify them.

Are you saying that in hboot it installs the pg05img file or not?

Reactions: atcjr

atcjr

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The hboot loaded the ruu fine bypassing the TP load. everthing else went fine. After the reboot the I removed the battery, removed the sd card, removed the ruu reversed the process and restarted the phone. still in the hboot and during the startup i catch inage not found or wrong image. then back to the hboot home screen.
Thx, for the help. if you think of anything a newb can try let me know.

atcjr

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Forgetful, I want to thank you for the help. I left the phone on the charger all night, shut it completely down, posted the earlire message tried it one more time and it booted correctly. First the white HTC then the Quietly Brilliant (Different) then the music... Hopefully it will continue to run.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
My pleasure. Odd what it was doing. Maybe there's a fail safe where it needs to be charged to a certain percent.

Is it working good now?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci