Verizon's warranty on a "Craigslist" pre-owned phone?

JRD761

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased a phone off Craigslist.
We met in a Verizon Wireless store, had it transferred over to my account, and everything is working.
(The guy said he bought it two weeks ago and didn't like it, and he bought an iPhone from them as soon as he got my money. lol)

Once I got home, I noticed that the phone has a "dead-cell" on the screen. there is one cell that's completely white, all the time, even on a black screen..
Also, I can't seem to get the front camera to work.. I might be doing something wrong, but it shows up just black..

My question is how does Verizon's warranty work on this? It should still fall under the one-year warranty (I'm assuming it's not a year old since it hasn't even been out that long!), but is it void since I bought it private party??

Last edited:

SF DINC

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Pixel issues I believe have to be be 3 dead pixels to have the warranty take place......bring it back to VZW see if they can get the front facing cam to work for you....if not that should fall under the warranty as a hardware defect. Good luck.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Verizon will only cover phones purchased through them. The phone needs to be bought brand new, straight out of the box from Verizon, purchased by yourself. Any third parties, ebay, craigslist, any other cell phone store, etc... warranty/insurance.. is not covered.

You can try, it's worth a shot.. but I doubt it.

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Sorry cyberwarrior, you are wrong. My sister bought her tbolt at best buy with their extended warranty, had a manufacturer defect and went to a corporate verizon store where they ordered the certified like new replacement. Best buy was going to send it off to get fixed.

Also, I have exchanged a handset under warranty that I purchased off craigslist. It was over a year ago but worked for me. They were able to look up when the phone was purchased originally by the meid and thats all that mattered.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Sorry cyberwarrior, you are wrong. My sister bought her tbolt at best buy with their extended warranty, had a manufacturer defect and went to a corporate verizon store where they ordered the certified like new replacement. Best buy was going to send it off to get fixed.

Also, I have exchanged a handset under warranty that I purchased off craigslist. It was over a year ago but worked for me. They were able to look up when the phone was purchased originally by the meid and thats all that mattered.
Oh, okay.. I know Bestbuy will have their warranty but I bought a DroidX about a year ago brand new in the box off of eBay and Verizon wouldn't cover it. I ended up selling it the next day back on eBay and buying the phone straight from Verizon, that's the only place I will ever buy a phone from now. Maybe you got lucky or I didn't.

Has anyone else ever bought a phone from eBay or Craigslist and have a Verizon store cover any defects/problems to the phone?

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
The official rhetoric you are looking for regarding warranty is if the device was purchased through Verizon Wireless (Direct) Retailer or an Authorized (Indirect) Retailer. This includes Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Bullfrog, and others.

Now, where the stipulation with authorized retails is regarding Defective On Arrival (DOA) replacements. This is if your phone malfunctions with 14 days of your initial purchase. If you buy a new phone from an authorized retailer and need it replaced as defective in your first 14 days, you MUST take it back to that retailer. Verizon Wireless cannot perform DOA replacements for any authorized retailers.

Another point to note: If you order a phone as an upgrade to one line on your account, then move it to another line on that ***SAME*** account, then the warranty follows the phone. If you order a phone as an upgrade to one line on your account, then move it to a ***DIFFERENT*** account, the warranty is void.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Been there, done that.

If the phone is not through an authorized seller, the warranty is void.

You might be able to press HTC directly to cover it.

Good luck with that.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Been there, done that.

If the phone is not through an authorized seller, the warranty is void.

You might be able to press HTC directly to cover it.

Good luck with that.
You gotta be kiddin' me. Craigslist is not an authorized VZW reseller? What a load of.... :)

-Frank

Justin Davidson1

May 27, 2013
Visit site
okay Cyber warrior you are right if you buy a phone from ebay craigslist or any non autherized verizon retailer verizon will not warranty them because you bought it from a non_Verizon Wireless retailer. but if you buy it from any Verizon autherized or premium retailer it is covered under the warranty through verizon. a lot of retailers also offer secondary insurance and warranties on top of verizons wich will protect you from malfunctions after the first year because the warranty through verizon only covers it for the first year.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey