1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Car Charger question

So one of the reasons I got a smart phone was to be able to plug it in while on my motorcycle and listen to Pandora radio instead of getting XM. So I installed a plug and got a USB adapter for the 12V plug and everything works great.

The other day I was at the Verizon store and the guy there said it's not a good idea to have the device plugged into a cig lighter for more than a half hour because the battery gets too hot.

Is this something I need to be worried about?

Thanks in advance

It depends on what type of charger you got. The phone has an automatic "turnoff" switch (for lack of a better term) where it stops pulling current or blocks current from getting to the phone once the battery is fully charged. Now I also got a car charger that does the same thing so I have a double fail safe.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

the rep doesn't know what he is talking about, don’t worry about it. All the charging circuitry and logic are built into the phone.

you should be fine. if you are worried about the temp of the battery, you can use "battery monitor widget" from the android marketplace to log your temp.

The way smartphone batteries work now days is that they don't hold at 100% charge for more than a little bit. This is to protect the lifespan of the battery since it will eventually wear away at the battery. It really doesn't matter how you charge your phone or how long you keep it plugged in anymore since the phone will take measures to keep itself from over heating.

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Simple. Reps statement was incorrect.

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderboltô 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks for your reply. I feel better now.

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

The Reps. just mad because he can't ride a motorcycle. LOL

One other thing to consider is that unless you have a charger that pushes 12 volts @ 1 Amp (950+ mA, I think) It should only maintain a charge while running the phone. The USB chargers run about 5 volts @ 500-900 mA so you should have no real worries.

Global Posts
    759 Global Posts

I do it all of the time. I have a bluetooth headset in my helmet. I designed the charger and it is 1 amp max, exactly 1 amp max. It is wired to use the high rate charge. It works fine on my older HTC Windows Mobile devices and on this HTC Thunderbolt. I tried a Samsung Fascinate and it has a GARBAGE charge circuit, but that is another story.
    Chargers can be wired to charge at two rates max (the phone decides the exact number based on charge level, temperature, etc). One way, it thinks it is plugged into a PC USB port, and the max charge is 500ma. The other way it knows it is plugged into a 1 amp charger, so it can pull close to 1 amp. max (I haven't seen over 800ma). So your charger wiring may limit you to less then 500ma. even if it is over a 1 amp charger.
    If you use a charger WIRED for low rate, in the sunlight (screen turned up), and keep something for example a GPS running, the smartphone can run the battery dead. I recommend a high rate charger if you are going to use the GPS. Pandora, with the screen off, should not be an issue.
    The Battery Monitor Widget can be helpful.

I like this RAM Finger Grip mount.
    Last edited by worwig; 05-30-2011 at 04:15 PM.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I'm really dumb when it come to things like this. I have an 09 Goldwing which has a very strong alternator. What I would typically be doing is riding for hoursu on end with the GPS on and Pandora running continually. I have no idea if my 12v power outlet is rated high or not, do you have any brand suggestions for me?

Thanks

Now that read your post again, I should be ok because I ride with the phone in the left front pocket on the dash with the door closed and the screen off, so I should be alright.... I hope.
    Last edited by zentenn; 05-30-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Global Posts
    759 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zentenn View Post
    I'm really dumb when it come to things like this. I have an 09 Goldwing which has a very strong alternator. What I would typically be doing is riding for hoursu on end with the GPS on and Pandora running continually. I have no idea if my 12v power outlet is rated high or not, do you have any brand suggestions for me?

Thanks

Now that read your post again, I should be ok because I ride with the phone in the left front pocket on the dash with the door closed and the screen off, so I should be alright.... I hope.
    Your good. That bike likely has a 350 to 450 watt alternator. You are talking about maybe 4 watts max for the phone, and maybe 4 max for the GPS. And usually less.

ROM
    Stock/Franco

running gps and pandora without charging will get your phone hot. just keep it out of direct sun and u should be ok.. and as said b4 if it gets 2 hot it will shut itself off.
    Devices: Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7

Palm 5v/1a car charger for $3.75 shipped

http://forum.androidcentral.com/thun...5-shipped.html