Gave Up on Tethering

mcowger

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
After giving it about a month, I've given on on using my TB for reliable wifi tethering. I've not been able to get it to maintain a connection while tethered for more than about 3 minutes (in VERY VERY strong 4G areas).

It doesn't do it when using data on the phone itself, or while using easytether (wired over USB), just while wifi tethering (whether with builtin hotspot, or with android tether).

Went out and pick up a 4G LTE hotspot instead.

Sigh.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
thunderbolt wifi is iffy at best, drops connections often, this is a common problem. doesn't really bother me, since i wouldn't pay for it anyways, but if it's important to you, i've read the charge has better mwifi.

tmacfan4321

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem on 3G on my Incredible. I think that it's a problem with Verizon's network overall.

I would get the same connection drops with WiFi tether (root application) and the built-in tethering utility in Froyo.

TTGTOVR4

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
mobile hotspot on my TB drops in and out, I have exchanged the phone 2x now, and verizon engineering department is "looking into it"

mcowger

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem on 3G on my Incredible. I think that it's a problem with Verizon's network overall.

I would get the same connection drops with WiFi tether (root application) and the built-in tethering utility in Froyo.

I dont think its VZW's network. Tethering works great for hours on end with this new LTE based Samsung dedicated hotspot, and with a friends 3G phone and wth a 3G mifi a coworker has.

Feels like the Tbolt to me.

anon(220176)

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
What do you use for tethering: the Mobile HotSpot app or the free Wireless Tether app?

I used the later and it's OK for me, although I don't tether as much. Just in emergency, like getting stuck in #!$!%@ airport for 2 hours... (but I use the tethering for less than an hour because the TB have such great battery life...<sarcasm end>)

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it's an HTC issue? My Epic can Wifi Tether all day and then some as long as I place it on the AC to stay cool.

normio2

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Been using mine to tether to my kindle, win 7 laptops, win xp laptops, even my friend's iphone so he could download apps. Never had any issue. I wonder if its the stock verizon tethering app, I'm rooted so I used the wifi tether app and never have any problems.

May 16, 2011
Visit site
i had a Charge(and have since returned it and dropped verizon) becuase i had this same issue amongst other issues involving 4g/3g data connectivity.

I dont know what good it is to have americas fastest 4g network if the **** dont work half the time

tmacfan4321

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I dont think its VZW's network. Tethering works great for hours on end with this new LTE based Samsung dedicated hotspot, and with a friends 3G phone and wth a 3G mifi a coworker has.

Feels like the Tbolt to me.
It's probably HTC then, but I don't know what they're doing hardware wise that would cause the same thing to happen on two different phones.

normio2

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
i had a Charge(and have since returned it and dropped verizon) becuase i had this same issue amongst other issues involving 4g/3g data connectivity.

I dont know what good it is to have americas fastest 4g network if the **** dont work half the time

I don't get why all these complaints from people about the network, must be bad in other places, cuz out here in St. Louis it has great coverage and works great everywhere I go.

JRZLocal

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
don't know I've had no problems with connecting with either the built in hotspot, or WiFi tether and I use it daily.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Noble_Logistics

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Sure Not "As Advertised"

I've had my TB for a week and a half, re-upped from a Droid to lock in the "Unlimited" data plan and had visions of dumping my home DSL @3MBPS for WiFi Hot Spot @23MBPS however, I'm now considering taking the TB back and re-activating my Droid.,

Don't get me wrong, I love the phone, bought the 2750MAH battery all is well, no re-boot or shut down problems, but wanted to be able to feed NetFlix to my 17" Dell MM laptop while on the road. I can tether using USB with good results, but WiFi is useless... There's no way I will pay anything extra for this aggravation.

I also have a Verizon Netbook with built in aircard on an "Unlimited Data" plan that renews in Nov. that I am using in Laredo for this message. Solid connection for over 3 hours, TB won't stay connected long enough to read a page...

Guess I'll set up a network to share the Netbook connection.

Undecided what to do about TB.

Chuck
Noble Logistics

mcowger

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
It's probably HTC then, but I don't know what they're doing hardware wise that would cause the same thing to happen on two different phones.

From what I can tell, its some how Mac related. People with windows machines, kindles, etc do fine. Those of us with a Mac (which I use exclusively for both work and personal) have issues. I suspect its just some bad firmware in the WiFi radio somewhere causing a reboot of the controllers - hence the drop.

Oh well, the Samsung hotspot is dead solid.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
So, out of curiousity, has any having problems with the MHS on their device tried using the stock MHS app on their phone, and VZ Access Manager (those people using mobile broadband cards I'm sure are familiar). In RARE cases, VZ Access Manager can secure and resecure authentications faster than the phone. Its worth a try, no?

Download the version that supports 4G LTE MHS here.

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Mine works great, especially on 4G. Lightning fast internet connection and the phone does not really get warm at all.

kalopsia

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I've tested mobile hotspot a few times -- seems to take forever for my laptop to get "Internet access" -- but once it does, it's stable and so much faster than Comcast. But waiting like five minutes for it to go from "Connected to network, no internet access" to "Connected to network, internet access" is kind of annoying.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon