Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Really weird battery usage on 4G vs 3G today

So today my 4G is behaving oddly. First off, this morning I noticed that I didn't have any mobile data. No 4G symbol, no 3G, no 1X, no nothing. So I went into the phone info screen to switch to 3G to see if that made a difference, and as soon as I switched to "CDMA auto (prl)" and hit the back button, my phone rebooted. After rebooting, everything worked fine. I had 3G, but I tried switching back to 4G and that was working again too. So I left it on 4G and plugged my phone into the charger for a couple of hours.

Later, about an hour after I took it off the charger, I saw that my phone was drawing a consistent 250-300 mA, even when it was idle with the screen off. I briefly plugged it into the charger to reset the battery usage screen and then let it sit for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, I checked and it was still consistently drawing 250-300 mA and the battery usage screen showed nothing suspicious: Phone Idle and Cell Standby took up the vast majority of the registered battery usage, everything else was 5% or less. (I don't believe this screen shows everything, and is not to be trusted as a definitive record of where the battery went)

Anyhow, I decided to switch back to "CDMA auto (prl)" to see if it made a difference. As soon as I did, the idle current went back it's normal value of approximately 40 mA. I usually get between 38 and 42 mA current draw when idle regardless of whether I'm on 3G or 4G. When I then switched back to "CDMA + LTE/EvDO auto", the idle current draw went back to 250-300 mA. Switched back to"CDMA auto (prl)" and current draw was again about 40 mA. Switched again to "CDMA + LTE/EvDO auto" and again I'm at 250-300 mA.

So today, for some reason, just sitting idle on 4G is sucking up 250-300 mA, while sitting idle on 3G is only sucking 40 mA. Like I said, normally I'm at 40 mA when idle regardless of whether I'm on 3G or 4G.

I don't think it's because some app is pounding the network, because I don't see evidence of it in the 3G/4G icons, and I wouldn't be getting 40 mA on 3G if there was a lot of network traffic.

After rebooting, I'm back at 42 mA on 4G.

I have been experiencing the same battery usage pattern that you describe in your post. I have tried a battery pull and no improvement. I am very concerned due to the fact that I have generally been content with the battery life on my TB. Today however, I have not been able to stray far from a charger. My TB is all stock with latest update, which I have had no problem with until today. I just don't get it.

This is probably a stupid question but how do you see the amount of power your battery is drawing? I've searched everywhere including the forums but can't find the answer. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    Energy hoarder

Global Posts
    1,473 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

Same thing I notied here. I've been on 3G for a few days becaue I got sick of the mystery 4G drain.

Use current widget app.

Quote Originally Posted by RestlessDroid View Post
    This is probably a stupid question but how do you see the amount of power your battery is drawing? I've searched everywhere including the forums but can't find the answer. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    download "battery monitor widget" from the android market. it will let you log the current and temp, and has a widget that will display current, temp, and battery percentage.
    Geek Freak

Global Posts
    515 Global Posts

I have the EXACT same experience, exactly. I live in a well covered area, in So Cal. I use battery monitor widget pro, very easy to see the patterns.

Sucks that 4g kills the battery like this. I use LTE OnOff, to switch to 3g when I know I won't be able to charge my phone for a while.

Very unhappy. I hope this is just a firmware fix and not something we have to live with.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

What's odd was that this behavior is not typical for me. When my phone is idle, I usually get the the same 38-42 mA current draw regardless of whether I'm on 3G or 4G. But until I rebooted yesterday, 4G was just going nuts and drawing my battery down fast even while idle. After reboot, it went back down to 42, just like it was doing on 3G.

I just upgraded to Battery Monitor Widget Pro so I can have the current graph on my home screen, instead of having to open the app to see the graph.

I'm getting really sick of having to constantly check to make sure the phone hasn't gone off the rails.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by baztekdroid View Post
    I have been experiencing the same battery usage pattern that you describe in your post. I have tried a battery pull and no improvement. I am very concerned due to the fact that I have generally been content with the battery life on my TB. Today however, I have not been able to stray far from a charger. My TB is all stock with latest update, which I have had no problem with until today. I just don't get it.
    By the way, I see you are in the Philadelphia area. I'm in the suburbs just north of Philadelphia.