Verizon said don't update My new phone New update soon

CaptDigB

May 9, 2010
Visit site
So I went to verizon and picked up my new replacement phone everything was good upon leaving 10 min later i was prompted to update my firmware i clicked ok and it downloaded and installed then it did its power cycle to finish, it bricked into looping htc boot screen never to load again. So i called verizon and she said don't do the update next time they would be releasing a update soon to fix the random reboot issues others are having to just wait. So im in to day 12 and thunderbolt number 3. My first phone the 4g radio stopped working and stopped all data and had to force 3g only to get data. Second tb died in the firmware update. Crossing fingers for number 3 it will be here tomorrow.

motodunner

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I went in and swapped for a new Thunderbolt yesterday and after getting it all loaded up I was prompted to do the update and I rejected it. So, I thought everything was great made it just over 25hrs and then phone rebooted. This thing is so pissing me off... I have never been so frustrated with a phone. I can deal with a lot of little annoyances that come within new phones but this random reboot issue is ridiculous.

But if I can at least get a full day in between reboots that will be better than the last phone... Only time will tell. I sure hope a fix comes soon.

Reactions: CaptDigB

Stevez48

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I am a fairly patient person, and more then accommodating. But would agree it is getting more and more disappointing with Verizon and HTC (not sure i f the latter has anything to do with it) and the support provided with the Thunderbolt. It seems forgotten already. This is just my opinion.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I am a fairly patient person, and more then accommodating. But would agree it is getting more and more disappointing with Verizon and HTC (not sure i f the latter has anything to do with it) and the support provided with the Thunderbolt. It seems forgotten already. This is just my opinion.

People really need to calm down. The phone hasn't even been out 3 months yet and it already had one update. Now yes that update combined with certain towers is causing issues, but that's how brand new technology works.

Trust me, the Thunderbolt is not forgotten. It's probably one of the most popular Verizon smartphones behind the iPhone. Verizon probably wants to get this all sorted out and fixed just as much if not moreso than the people that own the phone.

neutronjeff

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
soon?

...never to load again. So i called verizon and she said don't do the update next time they would be releasing a update soon to fix the random reboot issues others are having to just wait. ...

So, um, would any folks in the know, VZW-wise, like to give us an idea of what "soon" might mean?

Please.

tino72

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Im on my 4th Thunderbolt...AND its got problems..1st one had google nav issues wouldnt ever lock, dead pixel on screen, 2nd tbolt had google nav issues, data would just drop out and vibrate made phone feel like it was rattling apart, 3rd never even made it to being activated, i was sent a scratched unit! big gash above earpiece and along edges. 4th tbolt was working great til i found out the front facing camera doesnt work! just distortion and grain in the pic..im afraid to dare to change it out again since at least my daily google navigation is perfect on this one..lady did offer to trade me out to another phone if i wanted

jessesmith8888

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Had my 8th reboot of the day just before writing this! Lol. Getting my replacement tomorrow. The rep. Also told me that a software fix was in the works but when I get the replacment, when prompted for a update, don't accept it. It would just cause the same issues.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Had my 8th reboot of the day just before writing this! Lol. Getting my replacement tomorrow. The rep. Also told me that a software fix was in the works but when I get the replacment, when prompted for a update, don't accept it. It would just cause the same issues.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
I wonder what this "update in the works" will do to phones where the recent OTA update is working okay? Also, I suppose any rep would always be 100 percent right whenever they said "an update is in the works". Well, it's Android, of course an update is in the works!

-Frank :)

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I wonder what this "update in the works" will do to phones where the recent OTA update is working okay? Also, I suppose any rep would always be 100 percent right whenever they said "an update is in the works". Well, it's Android, of course an update is in the works!

-Frank :)

This is my biggest concern and this is why I really hope they actually know the issue and they aren't just guessing. I mean obviously any code optimization will only help, but I'm hoping major changes don't screw up the phones of the people that aren't having issues.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
People really need to calm down. The phone hasn't even been out 3 months yet and it already had one update.

3 months more and the phone will be out dated :)

So, um, would any folks in the know, VZW-wise, like to give us an idea of what "soon" might mean?

Please.

Well when the Xoom came out they said it would get 4G and SD card support "very soon" and "in a few short weeks" and it has been 5 months

I could not deal with the issues with the TB so I bought a droid charge, not sure if I am going to hold onto the TB or not, I might just hold onto it until the next update and re evaluate it again.

Ya Samsung is awful when it comes to updating there phones but so far if there are any bugs they are not effecting me. It does seem to not get as good of 4g reception in my house but I will just use wifi

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Im on my 4th Thunderbolt...AND its got problems..1st one had google nav issues wouldnt ever lock, dead pixel on screen, 2nd tbolt had google nav issues, data would just drop out and vibrate made phone feel like it was rattling apart, 3rd never even made it to being activated, i was sent a scratched unit! big gash above earpiece and along edges. 4th tbolt was working great til i found out the front facing camera doesnt work! just distortion and grain in the pic..im afraid to dare to change it out again since at least my daily google navigation is perfect on this one..lady did offer to trade me out to another phone if i wanted

just out of curiosity, where was the dead pixel? i got a replacement phone that would not get GPS lock and a dead pixel right in the middle on the long side, and where the "E" is on the "menu" button on the short side.

i'm guessing this phone would fly by their so called 100-point inspection and would be passed on to another person...

Fenwayfan77

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I went in and swapped for a new Thunderbolt yesterday and after getting it all loaded up I was prompted to do the update and I rejected it. So, I thought everything was great made it just over 25hrs and then phone rebooted. This thing is so pissing me off... I have never been so frustrated with a phone. I can deal with a lot of little annoyances that come within new phones but this random reboot issue is ridiculous.

But if I can at least get a full day in between reboots that will be better than the last phone... Only time will tell. I sure hope a fix comes soon.

You stated that you did NOT download the OTA update. If you didn't download the OTA update and you are still having re-boot issues, then one would have to reason that the OTA update isn't causing the re-boot issues after all, and that something else (maybe the network itself) is causing the issue. Someone else mentioned that he/she believed that it was the network itself.

With that being said, it still doesn't explain how the massive re-boot issues starting appearing immediately after the OTA update, unless it is utter coincidence, and the OTA update was pushed at around the exact time that the VZW network problem transpired, causing the re-boot isssue.

Food for thought.

DC Damien

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I walked down to the VZ store today. The tech guy says he has a TBolt but no re-booting and no knowledge of an update in the works. And they refused to look at the phone because they saw the LTE on/off widget. They said they'd have to do a hard reset back to the factory settings first. Reboots have stopped but I still lose my data connection regularly.

Goat-Tee

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I can live with the reboots when I'm messing around online or using apps, but starting to happen more often during calls. This is getting ridiculous. Took them less than 2 months to destroy a perfectly good phone so I see no reason that they can't fix it in less than that.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

Please.

It's kind of like NFL time. When the game clock reads 5 minutes left in the game, it means the game should be over in 15-25 minutes.

VZW-wise time:

Very soon = less than 3 months
Soon = more than three months

Reactions: Slapnpop826

Thig

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I bought a new TB two weeks ago and the salesperson must have put the update on it because it is at the current update. I have had about 5 reboots (that I know of) over the last two weeks.

busman

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
mine quit rebooting, and I don't know why, am at 89hrs and counting without a rb, we will see, overall the phone hasn't been that bad, bought it on the day of release. I still love the damn thing!!!!!

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I quess I lucked out... When I got my TB, I walked out of the store and accepted the OTA. I had no issues for almost two weeks... Now I am rooted and running a stable ROM.... I only had a random reboot once but thats because I was "experimenting" with diff radios... I haven't had any issues since. The only complaint I have is that it takes a few mins for GPS to lock when using NAV.... YES, I am counting my blessings. "knock on wood" ;)

Dragonblade

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I was having similar rebooting and gps issues with my phone as well, so i got a replacement phone delivered to me yesterday, when i opened the box, the bag in which the phone came in had the serial numbers listed and the software version that it was running. i noticed that the phone was already running the new software update. :eek:

I have had no random Resets so Far ( Knock on Wood). The Front facing camera is a little grainy compared to my previous phone but everthing else works good.

Not sure every replacement phone will now be loaded with the updated firmware.
but it was on mine, so its just something to keep an eye on. :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza