4G LTE found in Kansas City!?

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Two days in a row now my Tbolt rolls over to 4G network at 435 an Nall in OP, Ks. It is very short range as i lose it going to College blvd or much north past 103rd. i did drive from Nall to Roe today on 103rd and had a good signal. the speed tests clocked in at 15 to 18mbps down and avg 3mbps up.

Just heads up for KC folks looking to check out some LTE without taking the journey up to KCI.

ioxon

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I'm in Kansas City and have been hoping to get LTE sooner than later. Sounds like maybe a test tower in place or something.

thamadness

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that too in the same exact area. However my speeds from speedtest.net were 5mb down what test did you use? I'm hoping this will release here soon, but keep in mind.. there is a corporate Verizon office right there as well, not a store, a corporate office. Wondering if that has something to do with it? I called verizon and asked them about this if it was my phone messing up or if they were testing. Said possibly testing. Said don't know who but they are turning on 18 4G LTE areas this month.

mtritsch

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I was planning to head up to the ballgame tonight. Might have to take a little side trip to see. Just curious though, is anyone running custom roms or was it stock that you were seeing the 4G?

gnewvel

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm north of the river...so I'm still waiting..the 4G symbol did come on when I picked up my wife at the airport last week...waiting and waiting.

thamadness

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
running stock. As we can see... a bunch of new markets we're slated to be turned on July 21st, unfortunately KC was not one. Verizon store said that 4G in that 435 Nall area because of Verizon corporate store. They said we are supposed to get 4g sometime this fall. I take what the reps say for granted. I think I know more about phones and whats going on from the forums

chrisrach3

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I was down there at a party nearby about a month ago and noticed the same, though with unimpressive speeds. My guess is, as mentioned above, the corporate office.

mtritsch

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it is the corporate office that is putting out the 4G signal. One thing I want to throw to the forums though is that I heard the 4G was in Alltel area's first then native Verizon areas because Alltel was ahead in bringing 4G. Is Wichita a native Alltell network?

javadandy

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it is the corporate office that is putting out the 4G signal. One thing I want to throw to the forums though is that I heard the 4G was in Alltel area's first then native Verizon areas because Alltel was ahead in bringing 4G. Is Wichita a native Alltell network?

Yes - Wichita is in Alltel's native network. I have had the chance to play with the 4G at MCI. It is very nice, I wish they would have expanded that network but - fall is better than never.

Reactions: mtritsch

mtritsch

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes - Wichita is in Alltel's native network. I have had the chance to play with the 4G at MCI. It is very nice, I wish they would have expanded that network but - fall is better than never.

Ok thanks for the information. Whats bizarre is that according to the map 4G LTE Network | Verizon Wireless and searching for my address it says I am in a 4G service Area (extended) still my phone says 3G. Should I question VZW about this or just wait and see?

Update Sunday during the Football Game I noticed that 4G was showing up on 435 right by the stadiums. Looks like we are really close and Verizon was testing their 4G to see if it could handle the traffic during a sporting events. My Guess sometime in November if not earlier.

Last edited:

miss chris

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok thanks for the information. Whats bizarre is that according to the map 4G LTE Network | Verizon Wireless and searching for my address it says I am in a 4G service Area (extended) still my phone says 3G. Should I question VZW about this or just wait and see?

Update Sunday during the Football Game I noticed that 4G was showing up on 435 right by the stadiums. Looks like we are really close and Verizon was testing their 4G to see if it could handle the traffic during a sporting events. My Guess sometime in November if not earlier.
I hope you are right, mtritsch. I am tired of being patient! My address also shows it is in a 4g area, but no 4g signal yet.

thamadness

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Did anyone else notice any 4g coverage out at the chiefs game? I didn't go, but think it's interesting that it was showing again other than the airport and 435 and Nall. Probably more fun to look at phone for 4g signal than to look at the game

thamadness

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Just went to verizon website, typed in home address and it NOW does say I'm in a 4g extended coverage area. Looking at the map the coverage is laid out in a very odd fashion. You could be driving through overland park and go in and out of 4g coverage a number of different times in a 15min drive. Them putting this on the website is new. Hopefully it's really soon. Not sure why it's on the site and I don't get any 4g coverage though

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
My office is in that area and I have been seeing 4g for a few months now but Verizon informs me that they are don't have 4g in that area but its surly there and the speeds are nice...

I have seen up to 12megs down so far and I downloaded a 1.5gig file in about 20 minutes which wasn't bad in my opinion.

thamadness

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
thats due to corporate store at 435 and nall, it extends to around the Sheraton on 435 and college. Anyone in that area will have 4g and have had it for months. Go out of that little circle and you'll go back to 4g

miss chris

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Probably more fun to look at phone for 4g signal than to look at the game

Poking your eye out with a sharp stick would be more fun than watching that game! ;)

I show I am in 4G extended coverage but just barely. All of the subdivisions around me ( south OP) are hit and miss. Hope this updated map means it is coming soon.

sfbates

Jan 24, 2011
www.twitter.com
i drove by and got the 4g signal by the corporate store.
Hope this means 4 g coming!
we have google internet coming and soon 4g... woo.
!!!

mtritsch

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
i drove by and got the 4g signal by the corporate store.
Hope this means 4 g coming!
we have google internet coming and soon 4g... woo.
!!!

Take this for what it's worth also. I was in the Verizon store at 135th and Metcalf inquiring about Verizon Video showing college games on our phone (still no resolution but that's another story.) He said they have announced it and it is November (my guess also) and they do turn it on from time to time to see if it can handle the traffic (makes sense about the game then and by the corporate office). Still though what site does he have that they said it is announced because I have not seen anything official from Verizon at all. Oh and the phone reps do look at this site if they cannot find information with the stuff Verizon gives them.

thamadness

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
It has not been announced. I check the site and get emails every time a new 4g or extended 4g coverage is announced. Kansas city has never been on that list except for the airport.

mtritsch

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I get the same thing. Its really odd I would really think that Verizon would want to announce this information as they want to get 4G up and running for everyone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000