Rebooting issue on thunderbolt

ae4365

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday i sent an email to htc in reguards to the update for the rebooting issue and today i got a response from htc.This is what they said word for word. We have worked with verizon and we have decided that it is best to have your device replaced at a Verizon Cooperate or Repair store. If they are unable to relace your device,you will be able to contact our Warranty Department

deeznuts2

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand HTC and VZW - the phones aren't broken. Its clearly a software issue. I had the reboot problem after installing the OTA. However, after rooting and installing certain custom ROMS no reboot problems. Thus, the theory that some hardware failure is to blame is not likely.

Get a new phone if you want but don't do the OTA. You'll have the same problem.

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I did not have any reboot issues until I got the damn update, which makes me think it is a software-related problem. I also wonder if there is an issue with the network that leads to the reboots since my phone reboots a lot more when I'm in Miami than when I'm in Philly.

Dcpmark#AC

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
After checking and checking for the update when it first came out, I gave up and figured they would let me know when to install it. A few days ago I did a manual check just for the hell of it, and the update was now available. While the rebooting issue made me think twice about doing it, I went ahead with it, and I've had zero reboots so far. It's been 109 hours of "up" time with 100 hours of "awake" time since the update. I'm in a strong 4G market (LA), which may be one difference, but apparently not everyone has the rebooting problem after the update.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
After checking and checking for the update when it first came out, I gave up and figured they would let me know when to install it. A few days ago I did a manual check just for the hell of it, and the update was now available. While the rebooting issue made me think twice about doing it, I went ahead with it, and I've had zero reboots so far. It's been 109 hours of "up" time with 100 hours of "awake" time since the update. I'm in a strong 4G market (LA), which may be one difference, but apparently not everyone has the rebooting problem after the update.

It all depends mostly on location. I had no problems at home so I thought I was not having reboot issues either. Then, just for the heck of it, I started using my navigation while driving around town so I could test my phone and it reboots almost everytime I'm out driving around. I dont think its specifically the navigation though because it happened while I was using the internet sitting at a light once as well. I think its got to do with using data while switching from tower to tower.

Dcpmark#AC

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
It all depends mostly on location. I had no problems at home so I thought I was not having reboot issues either. Then, just for the heck of it, I started using my navigation while driving around town so I could test my phone and it reboots almost everytime I'm out driving around. I dont think its specifically the navigation though because it happened while I was using the internet sitting at a light once as well. I think its got to do with using data while switching from tower to tower.

Actually I've seen posts on other boards that claim no reboots if you turn off GPS and the other location based settings, which correlates with your experience. Depending on what you are doing, the internet will definitely draw on location-based services. Perhaps that's the key, that in combination with certain locations or towers. I have Google location turned on, but Verizon and the standalone GPS are turned off on my TB.

dms76

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Actually I've seen posts on other boards that claim no reboots if you turn off GPS and the other location based settings, which correlates with your experience. Depending on what you are doing, the internet will definitely draw on location-based services. Perhaps that's the key, that in combination with certain locations or towers. I have Google location turned on, but Verizon and the standalone GPS are turned off on my TB.

I always left Google and GPS on, but Verizon off. I had no reboots when I was in a rural area with no 4G coverage so I don't think it's entirely the phone. If you leave the phone on in an out of service areal or in airplane mode it doesn't reboot. As soon as I return to a 4G location it starts rebooting again. So I don't really think it's entirely the phone or maybe as some have said in another thread it's about the 3G/4G transition.

Dcpmark#AC

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I always left Google and GPS on, but Verizon off. I had no reboots when I was in a rural area with no 4G coverage so I don't think it's entirely the phone. If you leave the phone on in an out of service areal or in airplane mode it doesn't reboot. As soon as I return to a 4G location it starts rebooting again. So I don't really think it's entirely the phone or maybe as some have said in another thread it's about the 3G/4G transition.

Well, if you have the opportunity, try turning off GPS before returning to a 4G area, and see if it does not reboot. Let us know!

I've seen my phone switch from 4G to nothing to 3G or 1X to 4G again without rebooting. I have a strong 4G until I hit my underground parking at work, then obviously nothing on the elevator ride up. When I get to my office, the network usually comes back with 3G or 1X first, then a short time later switches to 4G. No reboots.

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
My phone has rebooted since receiving the update last month, although it doesn't reboot as much as it used to.
It seems like a software not hardware issue, and I don't want ot trade in my phone and get a refurbed instead of my new phone over this. I get most of my reboots in my apt. where voice is fine, but my data signal goes in and out from 3G to 4G. I am in a 4G area, but my apt. location I think is the issue

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
That's an interesting point. I keep VZW location services turned off (whatever they are). And I keep GPS and Google (whatever that is) location services turned on. I don't have reboots.

Stock with OTA update.

-Frank

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

I have not had reboot issues and I only keep Google location services turned on. I'm going to turn on GPS and Verizon location services and leave them on for a while and see if that causes any issues.

jhimebau

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I just completed a trip around metro denver co going from 1X TO 3G TO 4G and using google maps and I might naving better than a garmin nuvi we had with us and I have the update and no rebooting.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

budlight-budlight

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
ive never had a reboot issue even after update or before but i live in the sticks northern minn. i get better data(3g) than i ever did with my storm i was worried about that even inside the mill i still can text with 1x up fishing in no mans land still worked for text and voice my storm never did that at the same fishcamp had to walk around forever and find just the right spot i think this phone is great! just my opinion

brett328

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I started having reboot issues immediately after the OTA. I never had a single reboot before the OTA, I bought my TB on day 1, and downloaded the OTA on day 1 of its availability. And I have suffered ever since. 2-3 reboots a day minimum.

3 days ago and completely fed up, I took it to my local VZW store. The tech downloaded and installed "Advanced Task Killer" from the market and said this should help. I have read all the articles here explaining in great detail how and why these are not recommended. I know, I KNOW!

Funny thing is, still no reboots since that installation. And my battery has been kick ass, despite the warnings that just the opposite would happen.

So, no, I'm no android guru nor a shill for the app, but if you just want your phone to stop rebooting over and over, for God's sake try this. It has worked for me so far, despite all the self-proclaimed geniuses telling me and everyone else that come here looking for help how foolish using this app is.

the app is set to kill aggressively every 30 minutes, but i have told it to ignore my email client, weather, and google talk apps. 3 days now, zero reboots. Never happened since I downloaded the OTA. Can't be a coincidence.

Doesn't explain the phenomenon, therefore not a totally satisfying or true fix. But a gigantic stress reducer for me till the situation is fully understood and eliminated. If you suffer like I did, then you should at least try this, sounds like some people have even worse reboot issues than I did, so it seems likely this may not solve everyones reboot issue.

But for whatever its worth, if you got it bad, give it a shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech