View Poll Results: How many times has your phone randomly shut off?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 (never shut off by itself)

16 26.23%

4 6.56%

7 11.48%

1 1.64%

0 0%
  • 5-7

12 19.67%
  • 8-10

7 11.48%
  • 11-20

8 13.11%
  • 21-30

2 3.28%
  • 31+

4 6.56%
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Phone shuts off by itself

Today, my phone just shut off by itself. Not a restart, but full shut down. I had to turn the phone on. I know it wasn't a restart because I heard the Thunderbolt startup sound, and I never hear it on a random restart. Plus, there's a missing gap of about an hour in my battery monitor widget log. I think this is the second time it has happened, so i called for a replacement. Hopefully this one really is "like new", not worst than my current phone, like the last Certified Like New Replacement that i got. Btw, I still have the horrible power drain (3-10% an hour on the extended battery) and occasional drop in internet even though it says 4G, but I was going to wait for GB to see if it will be fixed by then, but I simply cannot use a phone that powers down by itself. I've had various cell phones for more than 10 years now, and this is the first phone that i've had that has randomly powered down.

ROM
    You Jelly Huh 2.1

I've only had 1 random reboot with my Thunderbolt since I've had it (only about 2 full weeks now). I received the OTA after I purchased the phone.
    My Galaxy Note 2 tells me to have a beer! Okay!!!

Hi do,

Yup, had that happen here too. Only 1 or 2 of my reboots happened that way, but it is surely a function of the same problem as the reboots. Maddening.

Very much looking forward to the solution, cuz this really is such a terrific phone.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts

Depends where I am. At home, no reboots. At work, probably 4 or more. Both times I'm using 3G.

This is why I'm tending to think this problem is related to the "GPS fix". I run with my phone tacking me, and last weekend I had it reboot on two consecutive days in almost the exact. same. place. on the trailway I was running. I swear, the two times couldn't have been more than feet apart.

What else could cause that than the GPS?

I also suspect GPS or network time (accurate time is important to GPS).

I did have my device shut down several times before it was replaced. I noticed this mostly overnight, which caused my alarm not to go off in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by hannsoft View Post
    This is why I'm tending to think this problem is related to the "GPS fix". I run with my phone tacking me, and last weekend I had it reboot on two consecutive days in almost the exact. same. place. on the trailway I was running. I swear, the two times couldn't have been more than feet apart.

What else could cause that than the GPS?

If, and I say if because I don't think anyone knows for sure at this point, the location where you have experienced the issue is where your Tbolt is being handed off from one tower to another. Where that handoff occurs can be a very specific point depending on terrain and other factors.
    No matter how hard you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

I have had a TON of random reboots, but no shutdowns as of yet. I, too, run with my phone using iMapMyFitness and have not had a problem with reboots during my runs. But, as has been said, it could be a tower handover causing it. I'd go back to that spot and try it again. Maybe walk by without your app running and see if that does anything?
    -Rick R

ROM
    CM7 RC1.2

Once or twice.
    -SoDev

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

I have had mine shut down completely many times. My gps wasnt on any of the times. Mine shut down completely when i slid the lock screen down. Also when i scrolled screens. Had it shut down using the flashlight. It shuts down more than it reboots. Very frustrating. Wish they would get this damn fix out or gb soon