View Poll Results: Do we, as a group, expect our ThunderBolts to be too perfect?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 37.33%
  • No

    34 45.33%
  • Maybe

    13 17.33%
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    FrankXS's Avatar

    Posts
    3,148 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

    Default Do we, as a group, expect our ThunderBolts to be too perfect?

    Judging from the rate of replacements here, I have this question.

    Do we, as a group, expect our ThunderBolts to be too perfect?

    Yes

    No

    Maybe

    -Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]
  2. #2  
    SUB-dawg's Avatar
    Nexus Lover

    Posts
    1,268 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB Build 4

    Default

    maybe
    Follow me on Twitter!



    Add me on Google+

    Link
  3. #3  

    Default

    Me... no... I think most just want a device that delivers what a Smartphone should deliver - their email, data and a good smartphone experience (data on the go).

    I've not had any real issues with my Tbolt.
  4. #4  
    Chiefmcfuz's Avatar

    Posts
    382 Posts
    Global Posts
    986 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock I don't root

    Default

    No. I just want it to work like it is supposed to. Aside from a few reboots and not letting me choose wether to download the ota update it works perfectly.
    Send from my fingers, using a pencil and a piece of paper that someone faxed to someone who scanned it and then typed it on this forum using a TRS-80 Model 3.
  5. #5  
    eallan's Avatar

    Posts
    119 Posts
    Global Posts
    240 Global Posts

    Default

    No. Good qa should be expected. Shoddily made phones should not come with $749 price tags.
  6. #6  
    biogon's Avatar

    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    No.

    I have never, EVER had a smartphone whose data connection turned itself off when you sleep it. That sort of defeats the purpose of notifications, doesn't it?

    I have also never, EVER, had a _phone_ that would randomly reboot at least once, if not more times, every day, draining 15-20% of the battery each time.

    I am most definitely not expecting too much. The problems I have are similar to ones other people have.
  7. #7  

    Default

    I registered here looking for insight because I'm making the jump from AT&T. I was really considering the TB because I want a 4G phone, but I'm definitely scared of making that plunge.

    FWIW based on what I've read, you guys are definitely NOT expecting too much. Some of these problems are absurdly egregious.
  8. #8  
    breugel's Avatar

    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

    Default

    I expect my phone not to power itself off and not go from full charge to dead in 5 hours with no use.
  9. #9  
    bthomp21's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    314 Posts

    Default

    Having a smart phone, no. Having an android smart phone, definitely not. I just don't give up that easy and start threads bad mouthing the TB rather than looking for a solution in the time it takes to figure the problem out. I love my TB.
  10. #10  
    SoDev's Avatar

    Posts
    1,035 Posts
    ROM
    CM7 RC1.2

    Default

    Maybe...

    I love my Bolt and don't have most of the issues that others have or I don't let the them bother me so maybe I don't notice like they do. That being said, a lot of the gripes are legitimate. Stuff like rebooting and other things that literally don't work the way their supposed to (sorry, can't think of anything else right now, crispy) are legitimate gripes. Then again if you think how young the technology is (Android, LTE, the Bolt) overall and how much amazingness that is packed into this phone you are going to have some kinks. Living on the cutting edge... not that all phones don't have their issues anyway, old and new.

    Also, even of the first one was a disaster, better updates will come. Remember we are not even 3 months deep.
    Last edited by SoDev; 06-06-2011 at 08:51 PM.
    -SoDev
  11. #11  
    aBoldPatriotsFan's Avatar
    Android Enthusiast

    Posts
    233 Posts
    Global Posts
    414 Global Posts
    ROM
    ZYGOT3 2.0/ JDK

    Default

    I simply say no i dont expect my current or next device to be perfect.

    Sent from Tapatalk using my ThunderBolt!
    If you don't have an iPhone.... Well you're probably doing alright.
    Patriot Pride
    Galaxy Nexus < ThunderBolt < Bold 9650 < Storm 2 < Storm 1 < 8330 + 8310
    Quote Originally Posted by st0ic_1 View Post
    Do you wear tight pants?
  12. #12  

    Default

    If by too perfect you mean delivering MORE than promised - then no.

    If by too perfect you mean delivering a phone that works - then yes.
  13. #13  

    Default

    But I do expect a working phone for $250.
  14. #14  
    Blunt88's Avatar

    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF 2.1 REMIX w/ MR2.5

    Default just want the basics

    all I really want is for the basics that are supposed to work and, more importantly, that work on most other high-end phones, to work properly.
    Specifically I think it isn't expecting too much for GPS to work properly and for the phone to not reboot in the middle of phone calls... call me picky.......
  15. #15  

    Default

    i think some of you have problems that should not be happening.

    mine doesnt die in 5 hours without using it
    my data doesnt shut off
    dont have 20% battery drain on reboot either
    ~Matt
    Nexus 4 & Nook HD+ and lots of other goodies
    www.twitter.com/howarmat
  16. #16  
    biogon's Avatar

    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Yep! Exactly why I want a replacement!

    I'm glad there are people with working phones without problems.

    That means that given enough replacements, I'll get a working one. I wonder if there are different factories or different lines, one that has something that's not quite right.

    -j

    Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    i think some of you have problems that should not be happening.

    mine doesnt die in 5 hours without using it
    my data doesnt shut off
    dont have 20% battery drain on reboot either
  17. #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by atcjr View Post
    But I do expect a working phone for $250.
    That's $250 PLUS a contract!
  18. #18  
    biogon's Avatar

    Posts
    85 Posts
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    oh yeah.

    I forgot about the GPS problem. yeah, mine won't lock until i go to GPS status and clear A-GPS status and re-download it.

    I have to re-do that every day...

    Quote Originally Posted by Blunt88 View Post
    all I really want is for the basics that are supposed to work and, more importantly, that work on most other high-end phones, to work properly.
    Specifically I think it isn't expecting too much for GPS to work properly and for the phone to not reboot in the middle of phone calls... call me picky.......
  19. #19  
    Blunt88's Avatar

    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    ROM
    BAMF 2.1 REMIX w/ MR2.5

    Default it'd be one thing...

    Quote Originally Posted by SoDev View Post
    Maybe...

    I love my Bolt and don't have most of the issues that others have or I don't let the them bother me so maybe I don't notice like they do. That being said, a lot of the gripes are legitimate. Stuff like rebooting and other things that literally don't work the way their supposed to (sorry, can't think of anything else right now, crispy) are legitimate gripes. Then again if you think how young the technology is (Android, LTE, the Bolt) overall and how much amazingness that is packed into this phone you are going to have some kinks. Living on the cutting edge... not that all phones don't have their issues anyway, old and new.

    Also, even of the first one was a disaster, better updates will come. Remember we are not even 3 months deep.
    It'd be one thing if the standard was that issues like poor battery life, rebooting and GPS working intermittently. However that is NOT the standard. With most every other smart phone in the market, HTC or otherwise, the GPS works, the battery is decent and, shocker of shockers, the phone stays on unless you turn it off....
    This whole conversation reminds me of the threads and forums back when the Blackberry Storm 1 came out. For months we tried to support RIM and the phone and convince ourselves it wasn't a big mess. Are we not doing the same thing here? I mean the HTC Incredible 1 worked properly from day 1.
    In short, not we aren't expecting too much, only the industry standard for a top end, top money phone.
  20. #20  
    Droid_Evo_8's Avatar

    Posts
    788 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    It would be perfect if wasn't for my rooted random reboots and not-so-good battery life. (But that's what my external battery is for) Hehe
  21. #21  
    GoldLeader's Avatar

    Posts
    183 Posts
    ROM
    stock

    Default

    From the banal topics of replacing phones for peeling kickstand and pin holes of light seeping, I would say yes.

    Are people sitting and staring at how beautiful the phone looks or are they using them?
    There will always be some wear and tear on a heavily used device. I'd like the phone to look good, but it doesn't need to be pristine.
    I have a peeling kickstand and there are some pin holes of light between my Back and Search visible, but I don't care. The phone works great. Some people seem to be waaaay too anal about wanting their phone to indefinitely have a perfect appearance.
  22. #22  
    Chrisy's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,327 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldLeader View Post
    From the banal topics of replacing phones for peeling kickstand and pin holes of light seeping, I would say yes.

    Are people sitting and staring at how beautiful the phone looks or are they using them?
    There will always be some wear and tear on a heavily used device. I'd like the phone to look good, but it doesn't need to be pristine.
    I have a peeling kickstand and there are some pin holes of light between my Back and Search visible, but I don't care. The phone works great. Some people seem to be waaaay too anal about wanting their phone to indefinitely have a perfect appearance.
    Maybe if it was a free phone I wouldn't care so much about a kick stand peeling after two months. It makes the phone look like garbage, and it just shouldn't happen. $250 is a lot of money for a sub par build. Add to that that we are required to keep the phone for two years.
  23. #23  
    robrecht's Avatar
    Pretty good member

    Posts
    917 Posts

    Default

    Those with serious problems need a solution. Period.

    But, as far as I'm concerned, the 4G experience is better than I expected it to be. There isn't yet another phone/network combo that I would rather have. My problems are minor and don't affect me much or not at all. I only noticed the kickstand peeling when enough other people complained about it that I looked at mine and saw that mine was too. A lost data connection or random reboot every 2-3 days, mildly annoying, hope they fix it soon.

    This is my first Android phone and it's great and all, but not yet as well integrated into MS Exchange servers as Windows Mobile was years ago. Of course, it's not MS so that's to be expected, but that's more irritating for me than anything phone related because it actually affects the functionality of the phone on a daily basis. I wonder if the iOS is better integrated into MS Exchange servers?

    I only paid $75 for my phone so maybe the minor stuff doesn't bother me so much. I have another upgrade available whenever something better comes along and my 9-year-old would love to inherit my ThunderBolt since there just aren't many cool games for my old WM 6.5 TouchPro2 that he has now.
  24. #24  

    Default

    As with any new device, I expect there to be some glitches with it. However, with that being said, I do expect slightly better quality control. It kills me when I place my Droid Incredible and my Thunderbolt side by side, and my Incredible has my GPS location dead on, while my Thunderbolt has me 20 miles away. Not to mention the constant rebooting, and various other headaches associated with this phone.

Posting Permissions

B