1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Bye Bye Bolt!

It was fun while it lasted, but post-OTA my Thunderbolt just couldn't stop rebooting. I told Verizon I wasn't going to accept a referb, PERIOD, as I didn't have time to play "musical phones." I explained to tier 2 and then a customer service rep (tier 3 of my support chain) that it WAS Verizon's fault, not HTCs fault, and that it was their job to make the issue right.

When offered a referb as the only option by tier 2, I requested cancelation of my Verizon account (I was 100 percent serious, and had already contacted both Sprint and ATT about setting up accounts), told them "good luck" about getting my early term. fee money and then guess what, things started to change!

I was approved a full upgrade on my account, and then sold my Thunderbolt back to VZW under the buy back program for $285. I purchased an LG Revolution, and so far, other than some issue with having to force close a few apps, it has worked perfectly. The texting UI is far superior, the camera quality is similar, the speed is similar for browsing on 3G, the phone doesn't reboot, holds its charge, has a MUCH stronger radio, and GPS locks instantly. I did perfer the feel and touch interface of the Thunderbolts screen. I also liked Sense UI better and slightly miss the kickstand.

In the end, I just want to let everyone out there know that if your TBolt is having issues, and it isn't something you are comfortable allowing VZW/HTC to take it's time to fix, deal with an hour long customer support call, and FORCE them to get you into something else at a fair price.

I will miss chatting with you TBOLT forumn members, you've been great! The TBolt still has the potential to be an amazing smartphone, but it isn't there yet, and I'm not willing to wait. For those of you that do, I think within a few months you will have an amazing device!

Quote Originally Posted by jking3002 View Post
    It was fun while it lasted, but post-OTA my Thunderbolt just couldn't stop rebooting. I told Verizon I wasn't going to accept a referb, PERIOD, as I didn't have time to play "musical phones." I explained to tier 2 and then a customer service rep (tier 3 of my support chain) that it WAS Verizon's fault, not HTCs fault, and that it was their job to make the issue right.

When offered a referb as the only option by tier 2, I requested cancelation of my Verizon account (I was 100 percent serious, and had already contacted both Sprint and ATT about setting up accounts), told them "good luck" about getting my early term. fee money and then guess what, things started to change!

I was approved a full upgrade on my account, and then sold my Thunderbolt back to VZW under the buy back program for $285. I purchased an LG Revolution, and so far, other than some issue with having to force close a few apps, it has worked perfectly. The texting UI is far superior, the camera quality is similar, the speed is similar for browsing on 3G, the phone doesn't reboot, holds its charge, has a MUCH stronger radio, and GPS locks instantly. I did perfer the feel and touch interface of the Thunderbolts screen. I also liked Sense UI better and slightly miss the kickstand.

In the end, I just want to let everyone out there know that if your TBolt is having issues, and it isn't something you are comfortable allowing VZW/HTC to take it's time to fix, deal with an hour long customer support call, and FORCE them to get you into something else at a fair price.

I will miss chatting with you TBOLT forumn members, you've been great! The TBolt still has the potential to be an amazing smartphone, but it isn't there yet, and I'm not willing to wait. For those of you that do, I think within a few months you will have an amazing device!
    Let me know if you have reboot issues with the Revolution because my wife has had 2 reboots since getting the phone on Saturday. It's not a Thunderbolt issue, it's a network issue.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

I'm glad to hear the Revolution is working out for you it's a very nice phone. It's very important to find a phone that works good for you and makes you happy.
    Banned

I'm glad they worked with you. Haven't heard much about the revolution, but I'm sure it will have some issues too. Maybe not as bad as the bolt. lol
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I will totally keep this thread updated with any issues I have with the Revo, so that way if people see it, and are looking to ditch the bolt, they can know to stay away.

After about 24 hours I had no random reboots, and the only issues were three apps that needed to be forced closed (although always when I was trying to back of them anyway, not mid-use...) and the Facebook for LG app wouldn't work (i'll try it again today) so I just DLed the standard Facebook for android app and all was well. The phone is a bit less snappy, probably due to having less RAM, but it's not a lag machine or anything, it's just, sometimes it can't move as fast as your fingers can.
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts

Good luck with your new device. No need to update here about the Revolution though. Do that in the Revolution forums please. It gets tiring to read about Charge and Revolution here.
    Thanked by:
    SoDev 

ROM
    CM7 RC1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisy View Post
    Good luck with your new device. No need to update here about the Revolution though. Do that in the Revolution forums please. It gets tiring to read about Charge and Revolution here.
    This. You don't need us anymore and we don't care. Enjoy.
    -SoDev

Global Posts
    757 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jking3002 View Post
    Good for you. Good luck with the Revolution.

I get tired of the people the whine here about the reboots, but don't call VZW. They need to call VZW and give them some pain. VZW needs to know that there are people having issues.

Personally, if I had the reboot issue, I would have been good with a refurb. I have done that before with them on other devices and the refurb was fine.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Funny thing there is a thread in the Revolution forum about a user turning in his LG for a Bolt because the screen is not responsive and it's locking up. Just shows users have different experiences with each phones, and like others posted if anyone needs to read about the Revolution they can just check in that forum so no need to keep us informed jking.
    Thanked by 2:
    SoDev