1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default OTA Update? Should I accept it?

I purchased my Tbolt on Tuesday of last week. During the setup at the VZW store, I received an update message and promptly rejected the update, after doing my research prior to my purchase.

However, a big pet-peeve of mine is having to always run up-to-date software.

I have only had one reboot. Actually, I was browsing the internet when it happened and I honestly think it was caused by a flash plugin crash or something like that.

I would like to give the OTA update a try, however, I don't want this to affect my ability to root in the future (I'm kinda waiting for CM 7)

ROM
    Stock rom/rooted

Don't do it. I did and my phone along with a million others now have there phone reboot randomly alot.

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

i got the OTA on day one, had 3 reboots that day and not a single reboot since that day. Only one way to find out....

I have the same problem with always having to have everything updated. my phone runs great and i would do it again, but thats just me...
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by rcmcdonald91 View Post
    I purchased my Tbolt on Tuesday of last week. During the setup at the VZW store, I received an update message and promptly rejected the update, after doing my research prior to my purchase.

However, a big pet-peeve of mine is having to always run up-to-date software.
    I'm normally the same way but DON'T you will regret it if you do.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison

Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vanilla

Are they not pushing the update anymore. I purchased mine online last Wednesday and received Friday. I haven't gotten any notification.

ROM
    Gingeritis 3D v1.0 Beta 8

Quote Originally Posted by NHBass39 View Post
    Don't do it. I did and my phone along with a million others now have there phone reboot randomly alot.
    I seriously doubt there have been one million Thunderbolt sold. Just saying.

Sent from my Thunderbolt via Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts

No no no! It doesn't fix anything and may cause reboots on certain towers. For the love of god, don't do it.
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,699 Global Posts

Don't do it. You don't stand to gain ANYTHING, and have high chances of it virtually ruining your phone, like it did my wife and I.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalDroid View Post
    Are they not pushing the update anymore. I purchased mine online last Wednesday and received Friday. I haven't gotten any notification.
    Maybe I'm not looking in the right place. I've had my TB since about 3 weeks after introduction, and to my knowledge, I haven't received the OTA update notice.

ROM
    Stock rom/rooted

Quote Originally Posted by jstewart0131 View Post

Really? Just saying!!!

ROM
    Stock rom/rooted

Quote Originally Posted by DanH View Post
    Don't do it. You don't stand to gain ANYTHING, and have high chances of it virtually ruining your phone, like it did my wife and I.
    Same here. My wife is so PO at me for doing the update. She calls this phone the THUNDERDUD!!!

ROM
    CM7 RC1.2

Quote Originally Posted by jstewart0131 View Post

Most likely not, but it was at the 260k mark after the first month.

-SoDev

ROM
    Gingeritis 3D v1.0 Beta 8

I wouldn't recommend the OTA either, but to make it sound as if every single thunderbolt out there has a reboot problem with the OTA is way over exaggerating the issue. Just like everything else on the internet, if you have something that is working, you won't take the time to post about it. Have one small problem however, and you will spread the word to every Tom **** and Harry that will listen.

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Don't do it!! If you are one of the people that are having the reboot problems, there's no coming back. Just wait.
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts

The OTA didn't fix anything. I don't know what it did, besides cause reboots.

Personally I'm glad I updated mine, because it slightly improved the battery life. I was aware of the reboot issues before i updated, but I have not had any problem (there's some big threads where lots of people agree). My plan was that I would root the phone and install a custom rom if I ran into problems, but that hasn't been the case.

Yeah, don't apply the OTA. The only thing I miss about Blackberry was the ability to roll back the OS easily.

Coming from someone who did the OTA, and had it cause reboots, I still say DO IT!

You are still under your 14 days! Do it, and if it doesn't cause any issues, AWESOME! If it does cause issues, return the phone and get something else, or try another NEW Thunderbolt since within 14 days you get a new and not a refurb.