1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Possible Reboot Observation for HTC Thunderbolt

A few weeks back, shortly after receiving the OTA update my phone began the dreaded random reboots. After trying several things, I decided to stop forcing my phone to 3G via the LTE OnOff app, and instead decided to just deal with the less than stellar battery life of 4G. (Actually not as bad as I had originally thought.) Ever since I've re-enabled 4G I have not had a random reboot.

Today I was having a bad battery day so I went into LTE OnOff and set it back to 3G (CDMA auto (PRL)) and within a half hour I had my first reboot.

So, does anyone else who is experiencing the random reboots have their phone forced to 3G?

Please forgive me if this has already been observed.

Cheers.
    Banned

i think most people will agree is the radio causing reboots not the phone

I have been fortunate to not have the constant reboots since the OTA, but my phone does reboot about once every few to four days or so. It happens when stationary at work and I have not done anything with my radios re: disabling/enabling. Everything on my TB is stock. Today, I was in the middle of commenting on someones FB post and "poof" straight to blackness. I had to turn it back on manually as it actually fully shut down. Last week when it happened, it occurred when I was simply looking up a contact in my addresses. Battery life on my phone has been worse then before the update. I now have to charge it half way through my work day so that I can still use the phone at night. Usage is nominal. Nothing crazy. I try to keep background data off for the most part unless I know im going to be using facebook. Not sure if that would help battery life or not but was told then less synching the phone does, the better battery life.
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts

I am in a 3G only area, never used LTE on/off and I get reboots.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisy View Post
    I am in a 3G only area, never used LTE on/off and I get reboots.
    Same for me. I seem to get a large portion of my reboots/shutdowns while using Whatsapp. But that may be just because I use that app the most. Its also happens while on Facebook and MLB app. The most annoying is when it does it in the middle of a phone call!! Unlike some people have reported, I have zero issues when I am at home on Wifi. We only have 3G here in Cheyenne, WY so I know for us here its isn't a product of switching from 3G to 4G

I haven't done enough testing yet but I was kind of thinking the same thing. Yesterday I left 4G on and didnt get any reboost driving around with Nav on for over an hour. Quite often I will get reboots driving around when I force 3g using LTE On/Off. So you may be on to something that helps some of us!

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Come to think of it, I only really get reboots when I am in a 3G area. Maybe the old 3G towers have something to do with it. When I have a really strong 4G signal, I don't reboot.
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts

Very interesting! Let's see what the poll says:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...g-1x-wifi.html