Complaint over blocking tethering apps in the marketplace

maxrebo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it is a big deal just for the fact that the 3g mobile hotspot software built right into the 4g phones is "free" right now. I would assume that the hotspot capabilities would remain "free" such as the Xoom and Galaxy Tab is once tiered smartphone data comes along.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
It would be nice if data was data and we could do what we want with it. Once tiered data comes along will we be treated differently since we are on the older all you can eat plan? who knows. Removing the apps from the marketplace definitely says that they don't want them there in the future which to me says that they percieve it as lost revenue... which in turn says they still want to treat hotspot as a chargeable item. We'll find out soon.

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Once tiered data comes and you pay for a specific amount of data, then I would have a major issue with them blocking tethering or charging extra for it. But while on an unlimited data plan, I agree with their limitations.

It's just like an all-you-can-eat buffet at a restaurant. They price the meal based on the cost of what an average person could consume in one sitting. If you buy one all-you-can-eat plate and have 6 people eating off it, you're cheating the restaurant and they have a right to kick you out. However, if 6 people eat off of an individual, fixed-serving plate, then they have nothing to complain about.

The unlimited data plan is the all-you-can-eat buffet. They price it based on the amount of data that an average user would consume on a phone. Tethering or hotspots are like additional people eating off the all-you-can-eat plate.

But when a fixed serving plan is purchased, such as a $20/month, 2GB data plan, then it shouldn't matter how you consume your 2 GB, and in my opinion tethering/hotspots should be free.

Last edited:

INK

Banned
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Unfortinately Verizon will most likely never undo what they have done with this. Even more reason for them to push their hotspot services.

shawnv79

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick FYI.
Set your phone into Airplane Mode, then enable your Wi-Fi connection. Go to market and search for your wireless tether app. :)

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick FYI.
Set your phone into Airplane Mode, then enable your Wi-Fi connection. Go to market and search for your wireless tether app. :)

Good tip, just waiting to see what happens officially on the 15th since they might change how things work - before i do it

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The unlimited data plan is the all-you-can-eat buffet. They price it based on the amount of data that an average user would consume on a phone. Tethering or hotspots are like additional people eating off the all-you-can-eat plate.
Not a bad analogy, but... I submit it is more like allowing you to bring your own oversized plates/boxes to the buffet and filling them up for a "to-go" order.

-Frank

bj426

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
bad analogy....

you pay your fee at a buffet to eat as much as you'd like at ONE meal. For my data fee I'm supposed to get unlimited data for one months time. If I have a desktop, laptop, netbook, tablet..... or two of each running all at once...... so what. I've paid the fee for the service offered.

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Data is Data. With the current unlimited plan I could use data all day long and move files from the phone to my PC via bluetooth or SD card and that would be legal. If i somehow connect the PC through the phone and move data to the PC directly then i am asked to pay an additional fee. It is still all i can eat, i am not shoveling it in a box for later or anything like that. I am not connecting my neighbors up to eat at the buffet. I get why Telcos want to control this, i just don't think that this artificial restriction is the answer. They need rules for abusers, and then let the rest of us use the technology as it is capable of being used - efficiently