GPS Overseas with hotspot

pbannist

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I'll be traveling overseas in a few weeks and wanted to confirm that I should be able to use GPS just fine on my Bolt if I have a wifi hotspot with me so it can download the map graphics over wifi. I've read some other posts about this and they seem to confirm that it should work fine, but just wanted to doublecheck - maybe someone has done it with theirs already? Thanks!

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'll be traveling overseas in a few weeks and wanted to confirm that I should be able to use GPS just fine on my Bolt if I have a wifi hotspot with me so it can download the map graphics over wifi. I've read some other posts about this and they seem to confirm that it should work fine, but just wanted to doublecheck - maybe someone has done it with theirs already? Thanks!
Where overseas? I suspect it should work. Have you checked out the International data roaming charges?

-Frank

mcs1990

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I have currently been in Europe since mid May and have used my Thunderbolt in Airplane only mode. Yes, google maps and gps work without the network radio. I have to cache my google maps to locations i want to go, but using a mobile hotspot should work even better.

If you decide against the mobile hotspot, you can always download Mapdroyd and their maps when on WiFi and then use the maps offline. Also i heard Brute Maps work a bit better, but I havent tried it out yet.

So you should be set.

Reactions: pbannist

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
There is coPilot Live. Puts the maps on your memory card so no data connection is needed.
A bit pricey for that area of Europe. Only $5 for the US.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood