Anyone have any strange resets/updates yesterday?

IronRainier

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday leaving the NYC subway - I started up my phone (I powered off when I got on the subway), and my phone as it was rebooting came to a white screen with a message asking that I press volume up if I wanted to update.

My phone had been acting strange all day. It was laggy, messages were not coming through, etc. So I said, what the hell - I might as well update. Also I'm rooted, but I did download the last OTA because I put the apps that I removed (which I moved to a TB Bloat folder) back in place and the OTA worked.

Long story short, once I ran the update, my phone was reset and all information was deleted. I loaded everything back up, but I am no longer rooted and for some reason my phone seems to have less issues.

Anyone have the same issue?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
To elaborate a bit...

1. Good chance you lost root when you ran the OTA -- most folks around here advised against running it if rooted even if you were still running the stock OS, for that very reason (among others).

2. When ever you flash an update in HBOOT, it's saved as file called "PG05IMG.zip" on the root of your SD card. That file could be a RUU, a radio, etc...whatever it is you are flashing to the phone. Chances are, at one point you saved a file named "PG05IMG.zip" to your SD card (perhaps when you went through the rooting process?), and never deleted it after it was flashed. THEN, yesterday, when you booted up your phone, you held down the VOL- as you pressed the power button, which causes the phone to boot into HBOOT screen...and since you still had a "PG05IMG.zip" there, it asked if you wanted to run the update...which you probably did not want to do.

If I had to make a wild guess?

You rooted your phone using the auto-root method, which left the PG05IMG.zip of the upgraded OS image to be flashed. --> you ran the OTA update, which caused you to lose root access --> you booted into HBOOT and re-flashed the PG05IMG from the root process, which essentially factory resets the phone.

Since I'm also assuming you rooted before the OTA was released, you are most likely now running the older software on your phone.

Long story short, you can probably continue to use your phone just fine as is, but if you want to have root access back, you'll have to go through that process again...and this time delete the PG05IMG file from the root of your SD card when it's finished.

Reactions: IronRainier

IronRainier

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you booted in HBOOT, and must have had a PG05img.zip on the root of your HD card...

That makes sense. And yes - it was HBOOT (I forgot what to call it - first time rooting).

I thought I had deleted the PG05img.zip file but I guess not. Thanks for your explanation (and the elaboration). I'm impressed!