Display taking 88% power. thoughts?

INK

Banned
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I would say make sure none of your apps are allowed to wake the screen. That happened to me before the SMS app was draining my battery hard due to the screen cosntatly being on and set the time out to liek 30 secs.

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Omg everyone seems to be missing the whole point of the thread and are just trying to be smart asses. If the battery is at 5% thats a 95% of all the battery already use. The battery meter will tell you where that 95% of the battery when... 80% (of the 95%) was used on your display and the other 20% (of the 95%) else where to either phone idle, calls, OS... how the heck is the display not an issue? specially if you have not been using it?

What the others are telling you is that your assertion that the battery use screen tells you where that 95% of the battery went is wrong. They are saying that it only gives you the percentage of CPU cycles used for each of those things, not the amount of current drawn. Current draw by hardware components like the radio and backlight are not included in those measurements.

For instance, increased power usage by the radio due to a weak signal will not be shown in those numbers.

That screen is basically useless for figuring out where your battery is going.

Reactions: gabbott

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
understood that, and since then i responded to a diff question about syncing accounts--so we're past that 'battery stats' screen being accurate :)

and i will respond, slowly--and ask the sme question again :)
is there an app to show what would is taking up actual power?
(asked not being sarcastic or a smart-ass)

(spare parts or something--i've heard something used to see what processes are actually to blame for poor battery life)

Sorry for my sarcasm. But there are so many people that believe that menu is actual hardware current used. I believe it is more confusing then it is helpfull.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for my sarcasm. But there are so many people that believe that menu is actual hardware current used. I believe it is more confusing then it is helpfull.

no worries friend

i think i caught the problem.

i downloaded another kernel this morning, flashed & since them i'm running about 5% battery loss/hour.
i noticed, before switching kernels, that my "awake" time was unusually high even though the screen was always off (or so i thought), so i think the kernel was miscommunicating with my phone & keeping something up even when the screen was off. (not to bring display back into it, i swear :) )

just saying that i think it was the kernel. & if slow-charge is the price i pay for good battery life, then i'll manage.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
So the problem is the ROM you flashed on your own device... makes sense... I would have said something about that, but you seemed I was guessing that if you flash a ROM you would read up on it and find out if there were any issues.

Chepo84126

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I am not rooted yet and have been having this problem since the update. I will look into the possibility of a sms (chompsms) app i have on the phone.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
So the problem is the ROM you flashed on your own device... makes sense... I would have said something about that, but you seemed I was guessing that if you flash a ROM you would read up on it and find out if there were any issues.

-was already running the ROM for days before flashing, no problem=no reason to read up. but i do/did post request on xda ROM thread as well, as i am on multiple forums reading up on multiple ROMs and kernels. no reason to suspect the ROM.
-this kernel hadn't listed any battery life issues, actually it listed great results coupled with the MR2 update. but i also posted the issue on the Kernel thread just in case. no reason to specifically suspect the kernel.
-given that screen % were so high with such high battery drain, i asked for thoughts on possible culprit. i never ruled out possibilities & if someone had mentioned Kernel, i'd have taken it into account sooner.

however, now that i know the Kernel can have that much of an effect on a phone without obvious stats source--i'll remember it for future reference & i'll be more careful about what information i include/exclude when posting for support from the community

:)

Last edited:

Saucz

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
to throw some more gas into the fire, I am 100% sure that its the 4G radio that sucks all the power. I travel and use my phone on airplane mode alot. I can get about 5 hours STRAIGHT of playing whatever game + listening to cached slacker radio and barely hit yellow on my battery meter from a 95% charge. As soon as I get home and turn on the 4G, instant red from yellow after checking all my emails, updating apps, sending some Kik msgs (maybe about 20 mins)

give it a try. you'll be amazed how long your battery lasts without that 4G

bman123

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
My phone is all stock, no root, rom, radio whatever and I am getting very good battery life. I already explained how i have my phone setup tho. As long as I am on 4g then the battery drains very fast so I tend to keep it off unless I have it hooked up to the charger and I am downloading large files

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Omg everyone seems to be missing the whole point of the thread
No, not everyone. Just a few who need to have it 'spained to them. And a few who purposely misconstrue the numbers (statistics - damned statistics!) trying to make their point with an irrelevant analogy.

-Frank