Display taking 88% power. thoughts?

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
i've grown accustomed to the Display being the top battery consumer, but today i've noticed that it's exceedingly high.
88%
up time=5.12.48
awake time=2.31.06
other stats:
cell standby=5%
phone idle=3%
androidOS=2%
wifi=2%

i've not kept my phone display 'on' longer than 10 seconds or so and haven't done any web browsing and my brightness is set to 25%.

thoughts?

i just flashed a new kernel last night--but before going the "it's a root problem", i figured i'd see if anyone has any other thoughts

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
4.3 inch screen, kinda need it on to do anything for the phone. Yeah it's gonna eat up most of the battery.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
4.3 inch screen, kinda need it on to do anything for the phone. Yeah it's gonna eat up most of the battery.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

while i do understand it could eat up the bulk of the battery--
this much of a battery drop with that high % of potential culprit isn't something easy to overlook.

usually it's sitting at 50-60% battery use. so that jump is what's alarming me.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, it is just a percentage (all of them have to add up to 100 somehow). Perhaps you aren't doing a lot with your phone for other processes to be using much battery life at all.

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, it is just a percentage (all of them have to add up to 100 somehow). Perhaps you aren't doing a lot with your phone for other processes to be using much battery life at all.

Good point. Hmm, that makes that stat a good thing. Would mean your phone is efficient.

Mine is 65 screen 8 WiFi 6 dialer 6 cell standby. That's not better.

Sent from the Bolt via Tapatalk

bman123

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Mine is 81% I have the brightness at maybe 1/5 if that. I don't really do much besides WiFi and I get great battery life on my bolt

jstewart0131

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Its a rolling percentage out of how much battery you have used. If you've done no data and haven't made any calls on the phone then you will likely see 85+% of the battery used by the screen. If you make an hour long call then the percentages will vary greatly. It is nothing to worry about IMO.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
If all you do is check your device for email and are not really using any apps that tax your device's CPU, then 88% for your Display is correct.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
You aren't looking at actual power consumed. It isn't practical or even possible to measure the current of every device and ever application. (how could you measure the 'current' that an app is using?)
What that is is a measure is the CPU cycles. So 88% of you CPU time has been spent building the display screen.
It likely does that, even if the display is off.

Chepo84126

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I been having the same issue after the update where the display has been taking a huge % of my battery even if i haven't used the phone and i am talking about huge %. My battery could be down to 50% with very small use to sometimes none and it says is the display has taken about 80% thats like 40% of the battery with out even turning the phone on.

This is not always an issue there are some days were i consume about 5% of battery per hour with moderate use. Then there are times where the phone gets really hot and just drinks up my juice a drunk out of rehad.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Just to be clear, if you want to instantly lower your screen percentage by a noticeable amount, make a 1 hour phone call. You'll probably cut your screen use percentage down to 10-30 percent. It's just math folks!

Basically, a high screen percentage figure means that you are not using your phone. You're just playing with it.

-Frank

Last edited:
Reactions: zero neck

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Just to be clear, if you want to instantly lower your screen percentage by a noticeable amount, make a 1 hour phone call. You'll probably cut your screen use percentage down to 10-30 percent. It's just math folks!

Basically, I high screen percentage figure means that you are not using your phone. You're just playing with it.

-Frank

LOL... use your Smartphone as a PHONE!?!?!? :cool:

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't put very much faith in the numbers provided by the Battery Use screen. I don't believe it shows everything that is consuming power. For instance, when my phone goes off the rails and starts consuming 250-300 mA while idle on 4G (but not if I switch to 3G), I don't see anything different in the Battery Use screen. My phone at that point is chewing through the battery like crazy, and the Battery Use screen doesn't look any different.

So, for finding a truly rogue app, the Battery Use screen might be helpful. But when the phone itself goes nuts and starts consuming battery while idle, this screen is useless.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
i suppose i should be more clear.

the phone died within 5 hours of no use.
i understand the % will add up to 100%, and if i had been leaving the screen on at full brightness for no reason and just tapping constantly for those 5 hours--then i could understand the battery dying & the screen being the reason.

the screen being the largest consumer of battery life (according to battery stats) made me think it was the screen.

that being said--5 hours of no phone calls & the phone dying is a bit suspicious.

any way (spare parts?) to find out what has really been using the battery?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

i understand the % will add up to 100%, and if i had been leaving the screen on at full brightness for no reason and just tapping constantly for those 5 hours--then i could understand the battery dying & the screen being the reason.

the screen being the largest consumer of battery life (according to battery stats) made me think it was the screen.

that being said--5 hours of no phone calls & the phone dying is a bit suspicious.

So now you are going to say nothing at all is running in the background... no Facebook, Twitter, People, Weather, News, etc, etc, etc???

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
So now you are going to say nothing at all is running in the background... no Facebook, Twitter, People, Weather, News, etc, etc, etc???

no twitter (don't need it)
people?
weather only set to update manually upon opening
no news
no stocks
gmail is set to sync
facebook only set to sync once a day
no bluetooth
no gps
3g signal

gmail & facebook accounts are active.
even at sync every 3 hours, i can't imagine they would drain the battery 100% in 5 hours.
previous normal use on 3g is about 6-10% battery loss for me

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

I will try this again. I will type slowly so you can read it better. :D

You are NOT looking at power consumption. It is CPU cycles. You would get the SAME number at 100% brightness as you would get at 10% brightness. And maybe the same number with the screen turned off. In the background, it takes a certain number of CPU cycles to build the display. Even at 88% duty cycle for that portion of the CPU time to build the screen, it may mean nothing to actual current used. That is, one of the largest CPU time users may be the display, yet it may consume very little actual current.

Actual hardware power consumption is not measured individually. The power may be going to the radio, the backlight, or the audio. You don't know. That screen is pretty worthless for determining what is using actual power.

Again, you are NOT looking at actual current used, just CPU time.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site

I will try this again. I will type slowly so you can read it better. :D

You are NOT looking at power consumption. It is CPU cycles. You would get the SAME number at 100% brightness as you would get at 10% brightness. And maybe the same number with the screen turned off. In the background, it takes a certain number of CPU cycles to build the display. Even at 88% duty cycle for that portion of the CPU time to build the screen, it may mean nothing to actual current used. That is, one of the largest CPU time users may be the display, yet it may consume very little actual current.

Actual hardware power consumption is not measured individually. The power may be going to the radio, the backlight, or the audio. You don't know. That screen is pretty worthless for determining what is using actual power.

Again, you are NOT looking at actual current used, just CPU time.

understood that, and since then i responded to a diff question about syncing accounts--so we're past that 'battery stats' screen being accurate :)

and i will respond, slowly--and ask the sme question again :)
is there an app to show what would is taking up actual power?
(asked not being sarcastic or a smart-ass)

(spare parts or something--i've heard something used to see what processes are actually to blame for poor battery life)

Last edited:

Chepo84126

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Omg everyone seems to be missing the whole point of the thread and are just trying to be smart asses. If the battery is at 5% thats a 95% of all the battery already use. The battery meter will tell you where that 95% of the battery when... 80% (of the 95%) was used on your display and the other 20% (of the 95%) else where to either phone idle, calls, OS... how the heck is the display not an issue? specially if you have not been using it?

I understand that there is a meter running on up time and stand by so it calculates more than when you unplugged it. I have unplugged it and restarted the phone, roughly losing 4-6% of battery life with the reboot. This resets the counter and with that done i get the reading above ^^^^.

Reactions: Forgetful

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci