MR2 - what IS this phone now???

mrtonk

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Okay....so my Thunderbolt has the love from me again. I went four full days without a reboot, and I think that was because I had too many things going at once. Overall, I am happy and once again recommending this phone.

My issue is a different one and is twofold:

1. Just in case they make a revision in the update and provide an "updated update"....will my phone recognize it? Is my phone running a warranty-breaking phone image? It's like a rooted nonrooted phone. My god, what is it? It's Frankenbolt!

mrtonk

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I mean, four days ago, didn't I basically flash a ROM without rooting my phone? Will the next update round recognize my phone as a stock phone or as something else?

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
You're either rooted or you're not. There is no in between. If you flashed the stock (non root) version of the leaked MR2 then you're not rooted, and can breathe a sigh of relief :confused:

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Okay....so my Thunderbolt has the love from me again. I went four full days without a reboot, and I think that was because I had too many things going at once. Overall, I am happy and once again recommending this phone.

My issue is a different one and is twofold:

1. Just in case they make a revision in the update and provide an "updated update"....will my phone recognize it? Is my phone running a warranty-breaking phone image? It's like a rooted nonrooted phone. My god, what is it? It's Frankenbolt!

You aren't going to void your warranty and you *will* be able to get future updates. You are running a signed official build with release keys. In the OFF chance they change something in this regard (which I doubt) the update file always leaks and you would be able to update manually.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I mean, four days ago, didn't I basically flash a ROM without rooting my phone? Will the next update round recognize my phone as a stock phone or as something else?

STOCK. MR1 and MR2 are names that Verizon has for the updates but if you check

Settings > About Phone > Software information

you will not find any reference to MR1 or MR2. The term is meaningless to the phone itself.

mrtonk

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
And the reason why the bootloader allowed me to flash this stock ROM was because it recognized it as such?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
And the reason why the bootloader allowed me to flash this stock ROM was because it recognized it as such?

Yes -- It's an "official" update.

I believe that there have been rare occurrences before (on other phones) where an "official" update was leaked, and then pulled before it ever went live. In cases like this, it *may* prevent your phone from being able to get a future update. That is VERY unlikely, and most likely if something like that were to happen, the good folks here will find a way work around it.

Either way, even if manually installing a leaked version of an official update is a grey area, you haven't really done anything yet that would void a warranty, such as unlocking the boot loader, gaining root access or installing "unofficial" modified software, so you can rest easy there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech