Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    ROM
    Viper ROM

Default VZW charges for rooted

We all know rooting our phones voids the warrenty but even if your phone breaks like the power button VZW will still charge you full price if you return a rooted phone

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/16...nes-if-rooted/
    Motorola Q -> Blackberry storm -> iPhone 3gs -> Blackberry Tour -> Droid Incredible ->Thunderbolt ->Epic 4G Touch->Evo 4G LTE

"ROOTED"

HERE WE GO BROWNIES HERE WE GO
    High Five Champion

ROM
    CM9 Nightlies

I guess this makes since I thought if ur rooted, and something breaks whether rooting caused it or not ur better off "looking" your phone (in all honesty I've never needed to do that but I have had a friend or two do it and I don't blame em). On the other hand, they want us to pay full retail price for sending it in like that, ok, but what would they say if I didnt feel like paying my bill for a phone with a faulty software update that they sent me. My phone reboots and I don't think I should be paying they same as someones who doesn't. Makes since to me.

I am not sure why this would be a surprise. Rooting voids the warranty. Period. If you need to send a rooted phone back for repair, you either need to return it to stock first or make sure it does not start at all. And to be clear, I am not promoting falsifying the reason for returning units...To be quite honest, it is these fraudulent acts that drive the price of the insurance and the devices themselves up.

If you root, you need to remember that if you want to play like a sport, you could pay like a sport.
    Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy Note 10.1

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Global Posts
    597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by rsk2mc View Post
    We all know rooting our phones voids the warrenty but even if your phone breaks like the power button VZW will still charge you full price if you return a rooted phone

Verizon Begins Charging Full Price of Warranty Phones if Rooted? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog
    They should charge even if you have a broken power button or other "under warranty item" because, guess what, you did something to void your warranty that covers those things so too bad for those that that happens to.
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

Just unroot your phone and bring it in.
    Otherwise don't get insurance.

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 RC1.2

Figured it was like that anyway. Worth it then, worth it now.

Sent from the Bolt via Tapatalk
    -SoDev

I have sent two rooted devices back and no issue. As long as the phone boots and isn't bricked your good.

doesn't this violate MM? i mean, if your phone bricks and it's rooted, of course, i would not expect verizon to warranty it, but if the power button or volume rocker goes out due to a mechanical defect, i don;t see how they could say the root caused that.

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

This is not new news , just starting to crack down on it.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    ROM
    Viper ROM

I'm not disagreeing about the rooted part however I've sent two Droid incredibles back because of faulty hardware , I didn't break it it just stopped working . I think if HTC says ok to unlocked bootloaders that should overide vzw . If I broke my phone due to rooting then its my fault but bad hardware isn't
    Motorola Q -> Blackberry storm -> iPhone 3gs -> Blackberry Tour -> Droid Incredible ->Thunderbolt ->Epic 4G Touch->Evo 4G LTE

"ROOTED"

HERE WE GO BROWNIES HERE WE GO

If its a hardware issue that can be replaced cheap and easy take it somewhere or do it yourself
    Banned

Global Posts
    626 Global Posts

Sprint doesn't charge for a rooted phone. They don't care at all. It's a Verizon thing apparently...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk