Why I regret manually updating to MR2.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
EE 1 + 2 said:
Maybe it has something to do with how weak the signals are from various towers. Maybe the leaked MR2 worked in part by boosting power to the phone's radio to allow it to better hold onto a relatively weak signal. In an area with an even weaker signal, perhaps the power drain is greater as the radio needs more power to hold on or search for stronger signals on other bands or from other towers. In the first scenario, the increased power to the radio might hold a signal well enough to eliminate the need for more frequent and more power hungry searching for and switching between towers and bands, but in the second scenario, the signal and lock is not strong enough to keep the phone from frequent searching. This is all conjecture from a guy who only had 1 year and 2 days of Electrical Engineering in college, and the electrical stuff didn't start until the 2nd year.
This hypothesis is strengthened by the experience of a number of users that MR2.5 is producing fewer reboots than MR2 but a bigger power drain.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I've spent the last 3 days in a very weak signal area with mr2 installed. In fact most phones don't even get signal here. I've managed to keep a 3g connection for most of the time bit have noticed that my extended battery is draining faster than usual. Guess its give and take, I don't mind more battery drain if I can use my phone in places where it wouldn't work before. Also have to note that I'be been travelling for the past 2 weeks with Mr2 and have had no reboot!

soccerfon711

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Since downloading the MR2 update, there have been ups and downs. No reboots is great (which is amazing considering I once had TEN in a single day). Downside: I am missing out on some of my apps; the incompatibility notices on the market are kind of really annoying.

Now on to battery life: I recently dropped my phone with the extended battery on. Since Verizon does not make a case for the extended battery, it was naked and got beat the hell up. :( Since then, I have switched to the standard battery so I can put a case on it to cover up the blemishes my phone now has. Regardless, this all happened around the time I installed the MR2. Now that I am using the standard battery again, I am definitely hating battery life. I don't know if this update made it worse or better or what, but something needs to be done.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Since downloading the MR2 update, there have been ups and downs. No reboots is great (which is amazing considering I once had TEN in a single day). Downside: I am missing out on some of my apps; the incompatibility notices on the market are kind of really annoying.

Now on to battery life: I recently dropped my phone with the extended battery on. Since Verizon does not make a case for the extended battery, it was naked and got beat the hell up. :( Since then, I have switched to the standard battery so I can put a case on it to cover up the blemishes my phone now has. Regardless, this all happened around the time I installed the MR2. Now that I am using the standard battery again, I am definitely hating battery life. I don't know if this update made it worse or better or what, but something needs to be done.

Seidio makes some nice cases for the extended battery. I have the active extended and it works nicely.

soccerfon711

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Seidio makes some nice cases for the extended battery. I have the active extended and it works nicely.

I was going to get that case, but it covers the kickstand (which I don't have a problem with) and that means that the sound from the speaker will be muffled (which I do have a problem with).

acmorris

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez