Can you guys teach me how to use

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Appears most commenters aren't fully aware of how juice defender works.

It's not a task killer, totally different idea.

I never said it was a task killer. I said that *LIKE A TASK KILLER* battery managers cause more problems than they fix.

As I understand it, Juice Defender tweaks the settings within the phone to increase battery life. My point was that you can not know all of the effects of changing those settings not only for the phone itself but also for the various installed apps. Most settings are set to specific defaults for a reason. A phone running something like this is much harder to troubleshoot because you don't necessarily know all of the things that were changed.

thunderstruck

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Root the phone and install one of the kernels that let you undervolt the processor instead. The one from Imoseyon works wonders. The thing that kills battery life is poor signal quality for voice. I work in a part of the building where I get around -100db or worse, and my phone will drop 20% in a couple of hours (set on wifi to negate the 4G drain.) I left work the other night, same settings, and my phone had dropped from 100 to 90% 5 1/2 hours later.

Brandito

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I never said it was a task killer. I said that *LIKE A TASK KILLER* battery managers cause more problems than they fix.

As I understand it, Juice Defender tweaks the settings within the phone to increase battery life. My point was that you can not know all of the effects of changing those settings not only for the phone itself but also for the various installed apps. Most settings are set to specific defaults for a reason. A phone running something like this is much harder to troubleshoot because you don't necessarily know all of the things that were changed.

I know exactly what settings its changing because I picked them all. Juice defense doesn't do anything magical, it just automates doing things that happen to save battery. Basically it turns off and on your radios to save power. It can do more and be tweaked in how it turns things on and off, but that is the long and short of it.

It still doesn't asking like you've actually used the app or understand what it does.

Someone mentioned kernels that undervolt, I've used them, juice defender saves me way more battery than underlying and lowering click speeds ever did and leaves my phone more stable. The radios trend to use far more power than your cpu. Btw jd also has the ability to adjust click speeds automatically, basically like set cpu, assuming your kernel supports it.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I know exactly what settings its changing because I picked them all. Juice defense doesn't do anything magical, it just automates doing things that happen to save battery. Basically it turns off and on your radios to save power. It can do more and be tweaked in how it turns things on and off, but that is the long and short of it. .

Most people posting to forums like this asking for help do not know what the settings are or what they do and more importantly how they impact everything else on the phone.

I know what it does. I used the free (beta) version briefly, and I did enough research into it what the paid versions lets you do to know I wanted nothing to do with it. It turns off unnecessary radios and changes things like screen brightness, decreases sync times that kind of thing.

My point is that, like rooting, unless you know exactly what you are doing you should not be messing with those things and if you are knowledgeable enough about what you are changing why pay for an app that does what you can do yourself?

Brandito

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Most people posting to forums like this asking for help do not know what the settings are or what they do and more importantly how they impact everything else on the phone.

I know what it does. I used the free (beta) version briefly, and I did enough research into it what the paid versions lets you do to know I wanted nothing to do with it. It turns off unnecessary radios and changes things like screen brightness, decreases sync times that kind of thing.

My point is that, like rooting, unless you know exactly what you are doing you should not be messing with those things and if you are knowledgeable enough about what you are changing why pay for an app that does what you can do yourself?

At this point I am completely convinced you don't understand what the app does.

It automates disabling the radios. Turning off the radios is by no means equivalent or should even be mentioned with rooting. Turning off 3g/4g and wifi when the screen is off or while you sleep is hardly something that will cause some unforeseen catastrophe.

Yes you can do those things yourself, I even have the toggle widget to allow me to do them quicker, but who wants to enable and disable data every time they turn on and off the screen? And who wouldn't want wifi to take over automatically when they get home or to work? then turn off when they leave a know wifi hot spot? I guess some people don't want that, but it certainly is convenient.

I used to have to toggle wifi all the time manually, usually forgetting to do so and then wasting precious battery, not now!

I don't use the screen brightness settings, and it doesn't decrease sync times, it can disable autosync automatically if you'd like though, or it can affect when the phone syncs based on your schedule settings.

Comparing this thing to rooting though is just silly. The balanced setting is as noob friendly as it gets and easily disabled. Even mentioning it along side task killers (before I used JD I would have probably done the same) is a huge misconception as well.

However, if it makes you feel superior to not use it, more power to ya! I'm the same way when it comes to wearing gloves to do work, get your hands dirty and stop being a pansy!

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
At this point I am completely convinced you don't understand what the app does.

You haven't told me anything that I didn't already more or less know (more details maybe) my point stands. The more you mess with things the more issues you are likely to have with the phone and the harder they will be to diagnose. If you or others choose to do it all power to you.

This is the reason that carriers suggest a factory data reset when trying to diagnose phones: it sets everything back to the defaults.

However, if it makes you feel superior to not use it, more power to ya! I'm the same way when it comes to wearing gloves to do work, get your hands dirty and stop being a pansy!

That Sir was uncalled for. We are having a pleasant discussion here no need to all me names.

Brandito

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
You haven't told me anything that I didn't already more or less know (more details maybe) my point stands. The more you mess with things the more issues you are likely to have with the phone and the harder they will be to diagnose. If you or others choose to do it all power to you.

This is the reason that carriers suggest a factory data reset when trying to diagnose phones: it sets everything back to the defaults.

That Sir was uncalled for. We are having a pleasant discussion here no need to all me names.

You know how you fix any problems jd MIGHT cause? You uninstall it, simple as that. It doesn't make any permanent changes to your phone. rooting and flashing kernels is by far a bigger threat and even stuff like that is unlikely to all out kill your device. I think you're exaggerating anything negative the app could do, which in my experience is absolutely nothing.

The lady bit I said in jest, didn't mean to offend, your previous posts did make it sound like you felt your way was superior to automation though...

scosch

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I agree with brandito

I use jd now on my Dinc and plan to use it on the tbolt I will be buying soon. I agree with brandito- jd doesn't mess with any settings that can't already be easily changed using the phone's typical menus. What's great about it is that it can change some of those settings (turning off radios and wifi to be specific) automatically without the user having to do it manually which is annoying and easy to forget to do. So the idea that jd changes settings that are complicated and should only be changed by those who really know their way around the android OS is not true. Any basic user can easily change the same settings that jd does, but why not let a handy app do it?

bhayden25

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Im running Juice Defender on my Inspire and i have had the phone on for about 30 hours and still about 32% remaining. It does help your battery life and plus the Custom rom im using is has helped my battery life

kpageisgreat

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
After reading through this discussion thus far I will like to add my thoughts. I used juice defender for awhile once I got my Thunderbolt and yes it indeed does work. But to those who are data centric might shy away from it with "turns off radios"-line. I liked it when I used it but as I became more knowledgeable about the app I uninstalled it and started turning the mobile data on/off and got the same effects.

I will say that I know this much: Juice Defender works well for those that need that little extra help to keep their battery longer that don't know much about other ways to do it. (i.e. rooting, undervolting, etc..)

clownboat

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
It works for me.

Umm. That's totally wrong. I get a lot better battery life with juice defender. Just set it so that it turns your data connection off when the screen is off. Dont mess with anything else. This actually lets me keep 4g on all day and its only chugging battery when the screen is on. Set the update option for 2 hours also so that your widgets and what not can sync every couple hours.

I agree on task killers sucking but juice defender is awesome if you use it right. Biggest problem is that it doesn't work right on all phones. Some phones it takes forever for the data to turn back on and sometimes it wont but it works great on the tbolt running das bamf 2.0.

I also agree Juice Defender extends battery life. I've used it for months, and on the days my battery is below 50% by mid afternoon I know when I check I'll find I've failed to re-enable Juice Defender (after switching it off when using the phone plugged in) (Epic 4G).

This is not in the same category as task killers.

HikariNoKitsune

May 30, 2011
Visit site
All i've got to say, is that my friend had it on his Evo Shift, and before he couldn't get through half a day without plugging it in, and when he started using JD with aggressive, he was able to go almost 2 days straight.

Later, he had my other friend install it on her phone, which normally would last about a day on one charge, and set it to balanced, and she too was able to get about two days out of her phone.

Hearing this sorta news from them, made me want to tell my little brother, who has an htc EVO. He was ALWAYS complaining about battery life, and that he could barely make it through the morning without it being near death by the time he would head in for work (usually wakes up around 6am, and head to work at 1pm). So, as i said, i told him about it, and he installed it. idk what setting he has on it, but i know his complaining over his battery issue has stopped completely, and have noticed his phone isn't always on the charger at night.

Matter of fact, i just asked him how much he usually gets outa his battery, and his words were: "all god d*mn day!" So its bluntly obvious it works for him. and bluntly obvious that it works in general.

What I'd have to say about those who have used it, and never had it working, would be that they probably never had it actually turned ON, or, they are the type to constantly check their phone every few minutes, and so the effects of having the radios and such off had no real effect on them. That, or they check so much that by the time the radios are off, they are turning the phone back on and thus having some lag between the shut down and start up of the radios.

All in all, I know THREE people personally that get AMAZING battery life out of their phones when using Juice Defender. If it isn't working for you, it may actually be your phones fault for not being fully compatible with it, or its your own d*mn fault for not using it properly (which JD is really freaking easy to use).

The_Engine

Super Genius
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
On the leaked Mr 2 release you can toggle off LTE. If you aren't on MR2 There are several apps to do this. I point this out because the LTE modem is 99% of the out of control battery drain on the TB. If you run this device on 3G and the only turn LTE when needed you easily get 15+ Hours of battery.

You don't need 15 Mbps down load speeds to sync a few email accounts, Twitter and Facebook. When you are gonna start browsing YouTube or download some stuff then spin up the LTE. But running 4G for background data is like swating a fly with a bazooka.

That's my humble opinion.

forestall

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
JD has worked for me and pretty well at that on my DroidX. 2 hours of medium usage and it is still 90% remaining. Reports about 19 hrs of Battery Left as reported by JuicePlotter. JD reports 1.96x battery increase.

It does take some work to setup. To advance the discussion, below are the settings that I am using and would welcome additional suggestions. Disclaimer: these settings seem to work for me but you will want to use what works for you. It takes some time to tweak and find the sweet spot.

Status Tab
Profile: Advanced
Notification: Text
Options: none selected

Controls Tab
Mobile Data: Enabled
WiFi: Enabled
Options: Auto Disable
3G: disabled (don't think this is relevant to my phone)
AutoSync: Ping
Keep Enabled: none selected
Timeout: disabled
the rest of the tab is not used in my case

Schedules Tab
Schedule: Enabled
Frequency: 2h
Duration: 5min
Controls: Default
rest of the tab is disabled. I don't use different schedules for peak, night and weekend.

Tiggers Tab
Configure: Configure Apps (this is where you need to play with your settings the most to find out what works for you)
See more below on Configure Apps
Controls: default

Regarding Configure Apps:
This is really personalized to how you use your phone so I will try to speak generally about my decisions. You have 4 options:
Enable, Enable/Screen Off, Disable, Do Nothing

Use enable for those apps that really only need to run when the screen is on. Examples in my case are:
Amazon Kindle
Browser
Calendar
Camera
Contacts
Facebook
TweetCaster

Enable/Screen is used for apps that should keep working when the screen is off, such as:
Amazon MP3
Mail
Media Share
Music

Disable is what I used for all the bloatware that I don't use at all such as:
VZ Navigator
Blockbuster
Voicemail (I use Google Voice)
News
Skype (I don't use it)

Do Nothing I use for stuff that should always be on (Mail could be in here depending on how you use your phone and if yours supports IMAP IDLE or polling; personal decision)
Handcent SMS
Talk
Emergency Alerts

Good luck

Wiseblood

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I have used JD and Green Power. Both work. However, I have finally settled on using Green Power. The interface is much simpler and there isn't too much to tweak. JD's interface is odd and offers too many things to tweak, half of which I don't really understand. I like simple.

I agree with the OP who stated that these kind of programs are less helpful to those who are "data centric." I you are constantly fiddling with (or really using) your phone, then its quite possible -- indeed, likely -- that constantly turning your radio and wifi off and on, off and on, off and on . . . will use more juice than you would save. If that's the case . . . these programs will surely be a detriment.

But for those of us who use our phones lightly or moderately, they are a great boon. But shutting off the 4G (or 3G) when the screen is off (which is 90 percent of the time, for me) I can get through lunch and still have -- easily -- 85% battery on my stock, unrooted phone. That way, I can keep LTE selected all the time. After all, that's why I bought the TBolt in the first place.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
All i've got to say, is that my friend had it on his Evo Shift, and before he couldn't get through half a day without plugging it in, and when he started using JD with aggressive, he was able to go almost 2 days straight.

Later, he had my other friend install it on her phone, which normally would last about a day on one charge, and set it to balanced, and she too was able to get about two days out of her phone.

Hearing this sorta news from them, made me want to tell my little brother, who has an htc EVO. He was ALWAYS complaining about battery life, and that he could barely make it through the morning without it being near death by the time he would head in for work (usually wakes up around 6am, and head to work at 1pm). So, as i said, i told him about it, and he installed it. idk what setting he has on it, but i know his complaining over his battery issue has stopped completely, and have noticed his phone isn't always on the charger at night.

Matter of fact, i just asked him how much he usually gets outa his battery, and his words were: "all god d*mn day!" So its bluntly obvious it works for him. and bluntly obvious that it works in general.

What I'd have to say about those who have used it, and never had it working, would be that they probably never had it actually turned ON, or, they are the type to constantly check their phone every few minutes, and so the effects of having the radios and such off had no real effect on them. That, or they check so much that by the time the radios are off, they are turning the phone back on and thus having some lag between the shut down and start up of the radios.

All in all, I know THREE people personally that get AMAZING battery life out of their phones when using Juice Defender. If it isn't working for you, it may actually be your phones fault for not being fully compatible with it, or its your own d*mn fault for not using it properly (which JD is really freaking easy to use).

That was me. I had it installed but I checked my phone so often the radio was turning on and off the whole time. Wish I could keep my hands off my phone. :)

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
As the second poster who simply said, "don't use it", I figured I'd elaborate a bit on my own feelings...

First off, getting battery life can be easy, if that's important to you. My (standard) battery EASILY lasts 24+ hours if in WIFI or 3G mode. 4G definitely does drain the battery faster, but then again, I don't need 4G all the time, so if I'm going to be out and about, I just switch over to 3G mode. On top of that, I'm usually connected to WIFI at home and at my office so I don't really have to about it there either. I think the real key is just to not have too many apps that require constant updating running.

As far as those who disable the radio when the screen is off, how do you get email alerts and other notifications as they arrive?!? It does me no good to have an email enabled device if it won't tell me when email arrives. Or SMS? Or chats messages? I can deal with setting my sync settings to every 15 minutes or 30 minutes or whatever on some of my email accounts, but having to manually check (or manually turn the screen on to activate the radio and initiate a sync) would just not work for me.

I do agree that if using with the proper settings JD won't harm your phone necessarily, and may even get you a little more time out of your battery...but it is possible to set your phone up manually and permanently to achieve the same results, possibly with better functionality of your device. The way I see it, apps like this have to consume an certain amount of power to run themselves, and often it takes more juice to stop and re-start various services than it can to just leave them running in the first place.

If you use it and have found a configuration that works for you, great -- I just personally don't see the need for such apps.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Agreed, I got a lot better battery life with juice defender too. I don't use it all the time anymore as I don't like the delay for the radio to restore after waking up the phone, plus I am usually near a power source. If I am out and about I absolutely use out and it works just fine.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

by default, the radio is enabled when you unlock the phone. i noticed the hesitation too, but you can disable "enable after unlock", this will enable the radio right as you turn on the screen. no jerkyness on my phone when unlocking with it set that way.