Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Default Can you guys teach me how to use

Juice Defender? What settings are you using? Aggresive or Balance? Please explain to me how to use the app. Thanks!

My advice? Don't.
    Thanked by:
    aapold 

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    My advice? Don't.
    I would say the same thing. I used it once, no needed application.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - HTC Droid Incredible - HTC Thunderbolt - Asus Transformer TF101-B1 with dock - Nook Color - Logitech Revue.

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

3RD. THAT ^^^^^^^
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,272 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

In the long run apps designed to increase your battery (task managers, battery managers, etc.) just cause more problems than they solve.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    ROM
    STOCK

Quote Originally Posted by HTC Thunder View Post
    Juice Defender? What settings are you using? Aggresive or Balance? Please explain to me how to use the app. Thanks!
    why what issues are you guys having? I've ben using it on my rooted N1 cm7.0.3

I agree, dont use juice defender or green power. On the thunderbolt all the only thing that they do is decrease battery life.
    Neutronbomb

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1.1 stock

Umm. That's totally wrong. I get a lot better battery life with juice defender. Just set it so that it turns your data connection off when the screen is off. Dont mess with anything else. This actually lets me keep 4g on all day and its only chugging battery when the screen is on. Set the update option for 2 hours also so that your widgets and what not can sync every couple hours.

I agree on task killers sucking but juice defender is awesome if you use it right. Biggest problem is that it doesn't work right on all phones. Some phones it takes forever for the data to turn back on and sometimes it wont but it works great on the tbolt running das bamf 2.0.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymil View Post
    Umm. That's totally wrong. I get a lot better battery life with juice defender. Just set it so that it turns your data connection off when the screen is off. Dont mess with anything else. This actually lets me keep 4g on all day and its only chugging battery when the screen is on. Set the update option for 2 hours also so that your widgets and what not can sync every couple hours.
    Agreed, I got a lot better battery life with juice defender too. I don't use it all the time anymore as I don't like the delay for the radio to restore after waking up the phone, plus I am usually near a power source. If I am out and about I absolutely use out and it works just fine.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Right on peeps! So heres what I found out. I was running juice defender for almost a month now. I was on balanced settings. It helped my battery a little bit. Enough for me to notice. But I noticed that my battery been draining really fast. 100% then 20 mins later its 90% or less when im on 3g without any usage of the phone(internet, facebook, twitter, games,etc) Very weird. So i tried to bump charge and didnt work for me. It use to before juice defender. So I uninstalled it and did the bump charge again. What do you know. It worked again. So right now its been an hour and 40 mins since plugged and im on 96%! Good Bye Juice Defender!!!

Appears most commenters aren't fully aware of how juice defender works.

It's not a task killer, totally different idea.

I love it, works great for me, if you don't have the paid version stick with balanced for now and make sure you don't find it inhibiting your regular phone usage.

I have the paid version so i have all the settings tweaked to my liking. I keep wifi on at all times, and it turns on automatically when i get near a know wifi point (uses cell towers NOT gps) which is really accurate.

I have it only turn on 3g when the screen is on and every 15 minutes for 30 seconds to see if any data is coming in, if it detects data then it stays on until it's don reviving/sending. This is the biggest thing that saves me power when i'm not home or near wifi. I used to lose major battery life when i was out and about, usually from low 3g reception or from moving, but now I can go all day with normal usage or longer with less aggressive usage.

Phone uses next to no battery at night because i have it set to disable all radios accept for cell between midnight and 8am, those can be automatically adjusted by a few hours by the app if it senses me using the phone during those times.

I'm continually impressed with how much extra life i get running JD and how unobtrusive it is to system performance and my regular phone usage.

It'd be nice to have data on at all times, and I can manage that, but I prefer the extra juice i get with JD over the convenience of up to the minute email updates.

If you run IM apps, then my setup or jd in general might not be your cup of tea, it will hold up any messages you receive for as long as you have data off.

I've yet to see any real negatives, I'm interested in what any actual users of JD have to say as far as negatives though.

I've never used the free version and never messed with the presets like balanced and aggressive, always used a custom setup tailored to how I use my phone.
    Italiano Papi

Global Posts
    3,542 Global Posts
    ROM
    iOS 5.1

Juice Defender works. I go on one charge every night now with my Infuse 4G. When its in sleep mode it keeps the data connection off and only syncs it every so often. That saves big time on the battery life. Also switches Wifi off to if you have that enabled.

Edit: I to have Juice Defender Plus. Worth the money in my opinion. I keep it on balenced mode. Before I would have to charge the phone sometimes twice throughout the day. Now, I take it off at 6m and by the time 11pm rolls around, its on the charger with about 20% battery life. And thats with normal usage. I dont go crazy on my phone. I use it occasionally for apps, facebook, twitter, tapatalk and some games. Text Messaging of course also.

Right on peeps! So heres what I found out. I was running juice defender for almost a month now. I was on balanced settings. It helped my battery a little bit. Enough for me to notice. But I noticed that my battery been draining really fast. 100% then 20 mins later its 90% or less when im on 3g without any usage of the phone(internet, facebook, twitter, games,etc) Very weird. So i tried to bump charge and didnt work for me. It use to before juice defender. So I uninstalled it and did the bump charge again. What do you know. It worked again. So right now its been an hour and 40 mins since plugged and im on 96%! Good Bye Juice Defender!!!
    Don't see how JD could affect bump charging...

Wow. Was kinda shocked to come on here and hear that juice defender doesn't work for so many people. Friend at work told me about it a few weeks ago and its been amazing for the battery life on my Evo 4G. For someone like me that isn't able to use my cell phone much throughout the day I went from about half a day of battery life to a full day. I love it!

Glad you found your solution. I have tried many of those programs and none of them worked for me.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - HTC Droid Incredible - HTC Thunderbolt - Asus Transformer TF101-B1 with dock - Nook Color - Logitech Revue.

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

Juice defender has nothing to do with charging. Your battery going from 100 to 90 fast is because you can't trickle charge lithium batteries so instead it charges to 100% then won't kick in again until about 90% but the phone will still show 100% then all of a sudden it will show the true battery level which depending on how long ago it hit 100% percent could be any where in between. I get much better life with juice defender running.i have all data turned off when screen is off with no schedule turning on data.also turns data off when battery is low.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kronko View Post
    Glad you found your solution. I have tried many of those programs and none of them worked for me.
    Yeah man this battery problem is getting on my nerves!

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

All- im getting pretty good battery if you just turn off 3g, 4g, gps, and wifi. Just turn them on if u need it. You'll still get texts and receive phone calls.

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

If you're using it turn data on and off why not just disable "Always-on mobile data" in the settings menu of Android?
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by cfhgarza View Post
    If you're using it turn data on and off why not just disable "Always-on mobile data" in the settings menu of Android?
    There's always some joker who lets common sense interfere with technology.

Good point!

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,272 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandito View Post
    Appears most commenters aren't fully aware of how juice defender works.

It's not a task killer, totally different idea.
    I never said it was a task killer. I said that *LIKE A TASK KILLER* battery managers cause more problems than they fix.

As I understand it, Juice Defender tweaks the settings within the phone to increase battery life. My point was that you can not know all of the effects of changing those settings not only for the phone itself but also for the various installed apps. Most settings are set to specific defaults for a reason. A phone running something like this is much harder to troubleshoot because you don't necessarily know all of the things that were changed.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Root the phone and install one of the kernels that let you undervolt the processor instead. The one from Imoseyon works wonders. The thing that kills battery life is poor signal quality for voice. I work in a part of the building where I get around -100db or worse, and my phone will drop 20% in a couple of hours (set on wifi to negate the 4G drain.) I left work the other night, same settings, and my phone had dropped from 100 to 90% 5 1/2 hours later.

Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocks View Post
    I never said it was a task killer. I said that *LIKE A TASK KILLER* battery managers cause more problems than they fix.

As I understand it, Juice Defender tweaks the settings within the phone to increase battery life. My point was that you can not know all of the effects of changing those settings not only for the phone itself but also for the various installed apps. Most settings are set to specific defaults for a reason. A phone running something like this is much harder to troubleshoot because you don't necessarily know all of the things that were changed.
    I know exactly what settings its changing because I picked them all. Juice defense doesn't do anything magical, it just automates doing things that happen to save battery. Basically it turns off and on your radios to save power. It can do more and be tweaked in how it turns things on and off, but that is the long and short of it.

It still doesn't asking like you've actually used the app or understand what it does.

Someone mentioned kernels that undervolt, I've used them, juice defender saves me way more battery than underlying and lowering click speeds ever did and leaves my phone more stable. The radios trend to use far more power than your cpu. Btw jd also has the ability to adjust click speeds automatically, basically like set cpu, assuming your kernel supports it.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Juice defender is the only thing that makes the TB's battery life bearable, ya just have to know how to use it right.
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,272 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandito View Post
    I know exactly what settings its changing because I picked them all. Juice defense doesn't do anything magical, it just automates doing things that happen to save battery. Basically it turns off and on your radios to save power. It can do more and be tweaked in how it turns things on and off, but that is the long and short of it. .
    Most people posting to forums like this asking for help do not know what the settings are or what they do and more importantly how they impact everything else on the phone.

I know what it does. I used the free (beta) version briefly, and I did enough research into it what the paid versions lets you do to know I wanted nothing to do with it. It turns off unnecessary radios and changes things like screen brightness, decreases sync times that kind of thing.

My point is that, like rooting, unless you know exactly what you are doing you should not be messing with those things and if you are knowledgeable enough about what you are changing why pay for an app that does what you can do yourself?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast