Verizon Tiered Data to start 7/07

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
if they force the change and your contract isn't up, that is breach and they can't charge an ETF
I would really raise hell if they did that. I am disappointed Verizon is making these changes. They could stand above them all and not do this to their customers. I think everyone should email Verizon and let them know they are disappointed in how these changes are going to make it difficult for everyone.
But I can also easily change my mind and leave their network. I don't want to make a switch but now it boils down to money.

addictedtocars

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Its all about the money! VZ feels they have best network and can charge top rates. I have no issues with tiered data it is they are raping everyone. $30 as the min plan is a joke. They shodul have implemented it liek TMO, I liek their way, unlimited data, but tiered full speed data.

orchidsbloom

May 11, 2011
Visit site
The worst part about this is those of us who don't even have an android phone yet, and were specifically waiting for the Bionic, GSII, Droid 3 to drop.... so disappointing.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The worst part about this is those of us who don't even have an android phone yet, and were specifically waiting for the Bionic, GSII, Droid 3 to drop.... so disappointing.

I specifically got my Thunderbolt largely because Verizon got rid of 1 year contracts. Sure, i paid about 2 bills for my phone, more than a lot of others, but in a year, i can move on to another phone - or another carrier as well...

droid77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Frank. I think some of us-at least I am worried that when the contract term is up things will change whether we upgrade our phone or not. When the contract term is up what is to keep Verizon from saying if you want data you need to go into one of the new plans.
Doc

This is what I'm concerned about.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Its all about the money! VZ feels they have best network and can charge top rates. I have no issues with tiered data it is they are raping everyone. $30 as the min plan is a joke. They shodul have implemented it liek TMO, I liek their way, unlimited data, but tiered full speed data.

I would of preferred this, but it's obvious that Verizon has an idea as to what customers want. Verizon knows that smartphone users are not worried about slower speeds if we reach a certain peak so we'll pay for the lower tier. However, by making the $30 tier at 2 GB, which is far lower than it should be, Verizon knows many will opt for the $50. Sure, 2 GB would have been acceptable when I had a 3G BlackBerry Device, but we're using Android and that uses a lot of data. Add the capability of 4G on top of Android and we have phones that will use more than 2 GB a month if we're not connected to Wi-Fi at least half of the day.

On a side note, my friend uses about 11 GB of data per month on his Motorola Droid 2. He works late nights and has a lot of free time in between calls so he sits in his car watching YouTube videos and listening to blogs. I realize that's a lot of data, but honestly, that's why he pays for unlimited data. And considering he is using 11 GB on a 3G phone, I could only imagine what he could do with a 4G LTE device. The top tier (10 GB) isn't even though to cover him. LOL

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
lol doesn't bother me one bit. I'll just keep my phone locked in, then come february, see how Sprint is looking. If Verizon has an absolutely beast phone, i'll either pay outright(doubt it) or i'll just stick with 2 GB. Im on my phone alot, but mostly on twitter and facebook, a little youtube and internet. That's it. So i won't go over 2GB.

android_nc

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm still trying to understand the reasoning of upgrading by buying a phone on Ebay or elsewhere... If you do this within your 2 year contract, then you are probably safe with keeping your existing data plan. If your 2 year contract ends and you buy your own phone, you are no longer under contract and in Verizon's eyes, are on a month to month plan and they can change the terms or available data plans.... You'd have to read the fine print to see if the contract is specific to device at time of contract instantiation.

Just like Sprint charges a $10 Premium data charge on ALL smartphones if you upgrade/replace an existing Smartphone. You are grandfathered only on the existing smartphone on the plan when you were in-contract... Once the contract terms are completed (ie. time expired), neither side is bound to the terms of the contract (inclusive of data allowances on the data plan)....

EaglesFANdroidPHAN

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Everyone needs to take a deep breath, chill out, and stop flamimg. Phil can vouch my credibility, IF YOU HAVE A 29.99 unlimited NOW with verizon and upgrade to a 4g device YOU WILL NOT BE FORCED TO CHANGE TO TIERED DATA, YOU CAN KEEP YOUR 29.99 unlimited. 90% ...yes 90% of users using unlimited now don't even go over 2GB anyways.... Yes the word "unlimited" makes you sleep at night better, and I know most of those 10% who go over 2gb are on these forums, but I bet you 10% already have the 29.99 unlimited and when you upgrade you will be ok to stay on unlimited. There, feel better ?:p

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Everyone needs to take a deep breath, chill out, and stop flamimg. Phil can vouch my credibility, IF YOU HAVE A 29.99 unlimited NOW with verizon and upgrade to a 4g device YOU WILL NOT BE FORCED TO CHANGE TO TIERED DATA, YOU CAN KEEP YOUR 29.99 unlimited. 90% ...yes 90% of users using unlimited now don't even go over 2GB anyways.... Yes the word "unlimited" makes you sleep at night better, and I know most of those 10% who go over 2gb are on these forums, but I bet you 10% already have the 29.99 unlimited and when you upgrade you will be ok to stay on unlimited. There, feel better ?:p

I don't believe you.

It had to be said lol.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

spun2u

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

Yes, EaglesFANdroidPHAN, I feel better now. :cool:

I hope whatever VZW does it tries to keep the prices down and affordable. I use about 3gb a month because I stream music/radio thru my Droid X while driving (I drive about 3200 miles a month). I also have 3 androids on my 5 line account, so a data share option would be great!

Bolt

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I hope us current unlimited 4G users have the privilege of being grandfathered in for future phones like unlimited iPhone/iPad users on ATT. 2g of data is impossible to live with on LTE. One HBO Go session and u pissed away ur data usage for the month.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

gsondag

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I dont understand how way back when they first dropped hints on tiered data was it not specifically said that the tiered plans would save most people money? how is it if 2GB data plan is still $30/mo. is that saving anyone any money? I would be totally on board with these deals if it were offsetting for me and my wife bur we will still pay the same amount, there will be no money saved

EaglesFANdroidPHAN

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
I hope us current unlimited 4G users have the privilege of being grandfathered in for future phones like unlimited iPhone/iPad users on ATT. 2g of data is impossible to live with on LTE. One HBO Go session and u pissed away ur data usage for the month.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Yes , you will be grandfathered

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
90% of users who use less than 2 gb a month are on 3g. When most people are on 4g I bet their usage doubles and will be forced to go the $50 route. Especially with Netflix getting on more phones. 2 movies and you'll be done for the month.

I'm all for data caps if they are with-in reason but 2gb for $30 is ridiculous.

K_Daddy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Here is more info as well.

"droid_life: Exclusive: Tiered Data Plans Headed To Verizon July 7, Packages Start At $30 For 2GB - Exclusive: Tiered Data Plans Headed to Verizon July 7, Packages Start at $30 for 2GB - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog #verizon"
--http://twitter.com/droid_life/status/82846958703742977

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Thanks for the link. I've been looking for a better Android site since the malware attack on this one.

anon(258826)

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
90% of users who use less than 2 gb a month are on 3g. When most people are on 4g I bet their usage doubles and will be forced to go the $50 route. Especially with Netflix getting on more phones. 2 movies and you'll be done for the month.

I'm all for data caps if they are with-in reason but 2gb for $30 is ridiculous.

I believe this is where Verizon's alleged data optimization comes into play. Besides, I don't believe that watching a Netflix video on a phone uses the same amount of data as a PC in general. Perhaps lower resolution and such.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
*sigh*

The uproar over this whole thing is just silly.

1. We do NOT have solid info yet as to what the new plans will be, and July 6 is only speculation as far as the timing goes. It's all rumors and old rumors at that.
2. Existing costumers will be fine as long as you don't remove your data plan or move to one of the new ones REGARDLESS of upgrading or changing phones as long as the new phone is compatible with the existing data plan (ie 3g smartphone data 4g smartphone data, etc)
3. Even when you re-up your contract you will most likely be allowed to keep your existing data plan. There are people out there on VZW under calling plans that have not been offered in years and they continue to be allowed to renew their contracts every year or two. (What happened with America's Choice was the exception not the rule)
4. Everyone with an unlimited 4G data plan now is grandfathered in until 4G unless a new line of phones comes out and are specifically stated to be not compatible with the existing 4G data plans and even in that case no one will force you till upgrade to that phone.
5. Even ATT didn't force people off of their unlimited data, the people who lost it were those who CHOSE to move to a tiered plan and are now no longer able to go back.

if you get the discounted price and re up your contract you will lose the unlimited. because you are signing the new contract.

if you buy a phone for full price you wont

And once you are out of contract they don't have to honor the plan anymore. The contract and your right to a discounted price expire in 24 months regardless. I am not saying that they wont continue to honor it if you continue to pay the bill, but buying a phone full retail just to avoid changing your plan will not ensure that you get to keep your plan.

Reactions: Eclipse2K

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress