Battery charging question.

Nehebkau

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
So yesterday I went ahead and used my one year upgrade and picked up the Thunder Bolt coming from the Incredible as my wifes ****ty Devour crapped out on her, but she didn't have an upgrade for her line yet, thus receiving my Incredible.

We were at the mall while making this exchange, and i've noticed quite a few small improvements here and there over the incredible. One of which being the battery life, considering it was slightly below half full after being activated and the like the fact it lasted 4 hours afterwards with me customizing things, downloading a plethora of apps, and notifying a bunch of friends of my number change via texts, calls and social networks was quite surprising to me actually. Upon giving it a charge in the car it lasted its second round with 15 hours, 7 of which had constant music being played on Winamp and scrobled with Last.fm(on 3g) a download of Plants Vs Zombies and Peggle on Wi-Fi, some light play of both, and my basic light social networking / web browsing(some on wi-fi, some 3g) flash light use and about an hour long call, with moderate texts. That off my chest, I am incredibly surprised to be hearing so many bad things about the Thunderbolts battery life online. But this leads to my actual question,

While charging I still have not had the LED light go from orange to green to show a full charge. I have checked the battery status in options to see it at full, and let it charge a good half an hour afterwards only to still have the light remain orange. The battery also seems to take extra long to charge in comparison to my Incredible, this shouldn't be an issue if my battery life remains around the same as I will be charging it as I sleep, but nonetheless leaves me pondering slightly. So are these two things supposed to occur? Or is this just how the Thunder Bolt rolls?

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
So yesterday I went ahead and used my one year upgrade and picked up the Thunder Bolt coming from the Incredible as my wifes ****ty Devour crapped out on her, but she didn't have an upgrade for her line yet, thus receiving my Incredible.

We were at the mall while making this exchange, and i've noticed quite a few small improvements here and there over the incredible. One of which being the battery life, considering it was slightly below half full after being activated and the like the fact it lasted 4 hours afterwards with me customizing things, downloading a plethora of apps, and notifying a bunch of friends of my number change via texts, calls and social networks was quite surprising to me actually. Upon giving it a charge in the car it lasted its second round with 15 hours, 7 of which had constant music being played on Winamp and scrobled with Last.fm(on 3g) a download of Plants Vs Zombies and Peggle on Wi-Fi, some light play of both, and my basic light social networking / web browsing(some on wi-fi, some 3g) flash light use and about an hour long call, with moderate texts. That off my chest, I am incredibly surprised to be hearing so many bad things about the Thunderbolts battery life online. But this leads to my actual question,

While charging I still have not had the LED light go from orange to green to show a full charge. I have checked the battery status in options to see it at full, and let it charge a good half an hour afterwards only to still have the light remain orange. The battery also seems to take extra long to charge in comparison to my Incredible, this shouldn't be an issue if my battery life remains around the same as I will be charging it as I sleep, but nonetheless leaves me pondering slightly. So are these two things supposed to occur? Or is this just how the Thunder Bolt rolls?

i've had this happen--but i'm rooted.
potential solution==reboot the phone while it's charging. it normally gets hung up around 95% and then takes a very slow charge. i've rebooted the phone & within a reasonable amount of time (10 minutes) the light changes from red to green to show full charge.

just a suggestion.

Reactions: Nehebkau

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Noted, so instead of bump charging this like my Incredible I'll be restart charging. :p

Haha...bump charging still recommended by many, BTW.

I personally have never had the issue with the green light not coming on, but as far as the slow charging, mine definitely hits the brakes at about 95~96%, and normally takes about 20 min or so to hit 100% from there.

No big deal really, I'm guessing this is done on purpose.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Oh, also, those battery numbers seem fairly normal, especially if you're connected to WIFI or on 3G.

The real battery buster is 4G. My phone easily loses 2-3x the battery power while on 4G...WHILE ON STANDBY. It's even more pronounced if you're using it.

I love having 4G, and use it quite a bit, but if I'm gonna be out and about all day, I switch over to 3G mode.

Nehebkau

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Oh, also, those battery numbers seem fairly normal, especially if you're connected to WIFI or on 3G.

The real battery buster is 4G. My phone easily loses 2-3x the battery power while on 4G...WHILE ON STANDBY. It's even more pronounced if you're using it.

I love having 4G, and use it quite a bit, but if I'm gonna be out and about all day, I switch over to 3G mode.

I figured that was a big part of it, but the fact that its such a huge portion is still a bit surprising. It is something I will only use moderately anyways though, and just from getting used to monitoring battery life on my Incredible it will always be off when not in use. I'm excited to see how I can get it going once rooting and tinkering some.