Most data you have used in a month?

jdeshong

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Holy data! I have used 40GB this month. Mostly from using a netflix app on my HDTV and my son playing call of duty on his PS3. I watched Pulp Fiction in HD a few days ago and it used up 3GB! Just wondering if I am going to show up on VZ "top data user list". I would like to fly under the radar if possible.

zog1977

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Holy data! I have used 40GB this month. Mostly from using a netflix app on my HDTV and my son playing call of duty on his PS3. I watched Pulp Fiction in HD a few days ago and it used up 3GB! Just wondering if I am going to show up on VZ "top data user list". I would like to fly under the radar if possible.

this is exactly why we must pay for wireless hotspot and such outrageous data fees.It is because of people like this.

Get a real ISP for those things. You bog doen the network and raise prices for all of us.

unreal.

this pisses me off

ieko

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
As LTE becomes the norm.. I suspect many people may not see the need to have landline data + wireless (just like phones). Usage like that will probably become normal heh.

I personally stream audio all the time (and hope to eventually stream video -- i.e. sports).

Current usage is about ~6GB/month

zog1977

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
As LTE becomes the norm.. I suspect many people may not see the need to have landline data + wireless (just like phones). Usage like that will probably become normal heh.

I personally stream audio all the time (and hope to eventually stream video -- i.e. sports).

Current usage is about ~6GB/month
mine is the same 6-8 gigs, and i use the phone ALOT.

it is abuse.

tbns

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I've hit 25.5 GB over 20 days; 10 left in the cycle. The majority of it is probably the downloading of my Google Music library for offline use; as well as Netflix, some tethering, and several 1 GB test download files that I downloaded when I was on the phone with Verizon customer service about spotty tethering (that was their suggestion). Also ROMs tend to be 200-300 mb, and I tend to download them directly to the phone when I'm at work. I suspect my data usage will drastically decrease next month, just because the novelty of things will wear off.

Not something I brag about.

dcviper

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and agree with the other posters here. I don't want to make accusations, but it wouldn't surprise me if users like you were the reason Verizon feels it has to jack up the price for data.

Data in the wireless segment isn't like DSL or DOCSIS. We all have to share the radio channels that exist. If you pull down 40 Gb, that's 40Gb someone else can't use. Capacity is extremely limited compared to a landline. You don't have a channel dedicated to you that sits idle if you aren't using it.

Please don't cry and whine if big red cancels your contract for cause. No one here will be terribly sympathetic, I think.

tbns

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and agree with the other posters here. I don't want to make accusations, but it wouldn't surprise me if users like you were the reason Verizon feels it has to jack up the price for data.

Data in the wireless segment isn't like DSL or DOCSIS. We all have to share the radio channels that exist. If you pull down 40 Gb, that's 40Gb someone else can't use. Capacity is extremely limited compared to a landline. You don't have a channel dedicated to you that sits idle if you aren't using it.

Please don't cry and whine if big red cancels your contract for cause. No one here will be terribly sympathetic, I think.

I would be very surprised if Verizon would actually end up canceling a contract unless a user was pulling down 40 GB a month, every month, without paying for tethering. I've hit a pretty big data usage amount this month, mainly because of playing around with the phone. The worst that would happen would be throttling... but I'm no expert in this arena! Before downloading a bunch of test files when tethering, I asked the customer service rep. if I would get penalized for downloading such a massive amount, and she said absolutely not, that I have the unlimited plan. I bet you they will throttle if you hit a certain point, though.

EisBlade

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
....they will throttle if you hit a certain point, though.

I agree. I foresee throttling and/or tiered data plans before cancelling occurs. They will figure out a way to adapt their profitability as users adapt use of their phones.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

That ship has sailed my friend. And yes most likely you are on "Verizons Most Wanted List". BTW, if you would use your Wifi you would avoid the excessive data you are pilfering.

Reactions: zog1977

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
While I agree 40gb might be abuse of the network, at the same time Verizon (along with the smartphone makers/sellers/etc. in general) have said that people who root and abuse these things are a pretty extreme minority. Well we're talking about tethering here, but obviously to tether like this you need to root.

Anyways, there comes a time where it is abusive as opposed to feeling like we pay for what we're using. I think you may have crossed it, lol.

40GB is a lot though! And admittedly impressive, even if I don't support. I only use between 2-4 during the summer months, and MAYBE 6-7 during the school year for streaming music and killing time between/during boring classes. Actually, expect that 6-7 to rise this fall since I finally have Netflix. :)

breugel

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
That ship has sailed my friend. And yes most likely you are on "Verizons Most Wanted List". BTW, if you would use your Wifi you would avoid the excessive data you are pilfering.

He is not pilfering anything. They offered free tethering and unlimited data. He has every right to use as much as he wants. They offered it to get people hooked and then at a later date change it. This is from somebody that uses no more than 1 gb from my phone.

Reactions: kentusmc

jessesmith8888

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
this is exactly why we must pay for wireless hotspot and such outrageous data fees.It is because of people like this.

Get a real ISP for those things. You bog doen the network and raise prices for all of us.

unreal.

this pisses me off

Teathering is free right now. Who says he's rooted?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Reactions: kentusmc

pennywise

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I use about 20 gb a month and once football starts that number might go up. I pay for unlimited data and I will use as much as I can. That 20gb a month is streaming movies or tv for about 12 hours a week. When I am home I turn WiFi on.

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
He is not pilfering anything. They offered free tethering and unlimited data. He has every right to use as much as he wants. They offered it to get people hooked and then at a later date change it. This is from somebody that uses no more than 1 gb from my phone.

Teathering is free right now. Who says he's rooted?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same thing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital