Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Thumbs down Why is it that the TB is the last phone to get every single update!?

very sad.This is all.
    To live and die in L.A.

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 RC1.2

-SoDev
    Thanked by 2:

lol. Glad you didn't buy a Samsung, otherwise you might be on a rooftop somewhere.
    Thanked by 4:

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 RC1.2

Wait wait.... I'd like a redo...

-SoDev

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Well, it's not because it's a ThunderBolt. It's because when a phone is released a big "GAME OVER" feeling is propagated and work begins on newer phones still in development. Gotta get the next one out the door, and the next, and the next. Point is, all these newer phones are being developed at a more recent time than the ThunderBolt therefore they naturally incorporate subtle newer updates as they each reach their GAME OVER status. Then it begins again.

All this time the developers and manufacturers are trying to play "catch up" with the now "legacy" ThunderBolt. If you owned the company, which would be more important to you?

Such is the way of market pressure today.

Better answer: Hang in there, we'll catch up.

-Frank
    Last edited by FrankXS; 06-24-2011 at 03:26 PM.
    [HTC Thunderbolt 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]

Quote Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post
    Well, it's not because it's a ThunderBolt. It's because when a phone is released a big "GAME OVER" feeling is propagated and work begins on newer phones still in development. Gotta get the next one out the door, and the next, and the next. Point is, all these newer phone are being developed at a more recent time than the ThunderBolt therefore they naturally incorporate subtle newer updates as they each reach their GAME OVER status. Then it begins again.

All this time the developers and manufacturers are trying to play "catch up" with the now "legacy" ThunderBolt. If you owned the company, which would be more important to you?

Such is the way of market pressure today.

Better answer: Hang in there, we'll catch up.

-Frank
    hmmm... this is exactly why I switched from the fascinate to the tbolt... wtf?

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS Upgrade

Default Re: Why is it that the TB is the last phone to get every single u

This I believe is the primary complaint of power users that want the latest OS to run current software... But at the rate of development for new devices I understand why they can "forget" about a phone that isn't that old. I don't want to cry about buying a Nexus or unlocking bootloaders, but something has to be done. As much as I am an advocate and addict of all things Android they need to get this fixed by 4.x if they expect the average joe to stick with them. I don't care about voiding the warranty on a $600 dollar device but there are hundreds of thousands that would never dream of rooting their device for a current OS.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

ummm really guys??

First: to the op: what is it getting last?? The only newer htc phone on vzw is running a slightly newer version of sense.. that is all. Incred 2 is not running gingerbread yet so what are you talking about?

Second: FrankXS your post is ridiculous. Thunderbolt will be getting gingerbread.. if its not quick enough for you from htc then root your phone and put it on there...mine is running 2.3 with sense 3.0... whats more current than that?

Third: This is HTC's first LTE phone, now maybe im wrong here but if there are to be any delays in getting anything out to it which i really dont see that there has been yet... that definitly could be to blame. Sometimes thats the price you pay for a new form of tech.

Fourth: In your post you claim its the manufacturers fault because they are releasing newer phones at a fast rate but then claim that the manufacturers are trying to play catch up.. confusing

That is all.

Just my opinion.
    cguella, john_v and bbalz like this.

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tcallahan View Post
    ummm really guys??

First: to the op: what is it getting last?? The only newer htc phone on vzw is running a slightly newer version of sense.. that is all. Incred 2 is not running gingerbread yet so what are you talking about?

Second: FrankXS your post is ridiculous. Thunderbolt will be getting gingerbread.. if its not quick enough for you from htc then root your phone and put it on there...mine is running 2.3 with sense 3.0... whats more current than that?

Third: This is HTC's first LTE phone, now maybe im wrong here but if there are to be any delays in getting anything out to it which i really dont see that there has been yet... that definitly could be to blame. Sometimes thats the price you pay for a new form of tech.

Fourth: In your post you claim its the manufacturers fault because they are releasing newer phones at a fast rate but then claim that the manufacturers are trying to play catch up.. confusing

That is all.

Just my opinion.
    +1

Global Posts
    920 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 7.1 / Tiamat 3.3.7

Don't fret my HTC brothers. It took almost a year to get Netflix. And gingerbread on our Evo's. Your Thunderbolts will get updates faster than our Evo's

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly818 View Post
    very sad.This is all.
    This, plus the overly bloated nature of HTC Sense, is why my next phone will be a Nexus.

ROM
    Stock/Franco

I agree, what update is the tbolt "last" for?
    gingerbread just starting to roll out for phones this month... not even 1/4 of the htc devices out have it yet. and sense 3.0 is only out for devices that just released. to my knowledge we are not "last" for any updates as of yet.

and as said before if you want android 2.3 and sense 3.0 root and rom your device. otherwise wait like the rest of us. (rumored date for an update is 6/30/11)
    Devices: Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Unfortunately, this most likely has nothing to do with HTC(or very little at that)

Verizon gets the final say in the updates, and to be honest, it seems as if they've started to focus on their iPhone and other 4G devices coming out.

It's unfortunate, but it's true. You probably will get Gingerbread, but who's to say when.....?

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whatwhat View Post
    This, plus the overly bloated nature of HTC Sense, is why my next phone will be a Nexus.
    it is bloated... that i agree with. plus all that garbage that came on it from verizon... if your talking bloat gotta throw some blame on the carrier.

But i agree... my next phone will be a nexus. If verizon doesn't want to get one cause they believe in their bloat so much... then ill leave them behind.

which is sad.. because i love getting 14+ Mbs down on my phone :O)

I just got my TB and am hoping it gets gingerbread soon

ROM
    Stock

I had an iPhone for 3 years. Got the TB mostly for 4G and I did not like need for iTunes and a computer. I will move back to iPhone when 4G is available. Vanilla iOS, everyone gets updates, tons of accessories, Netflix, etc, etc and iOS 5 fixes most of its deficiencies.
    Jailbreaking is also much easier on iPhone. I like Android, but it is way too limited unless you hack it which is too messy for me at present on the TB.
    Bob

ROM
    Stock

Being realistic, I'll donate $5 to the first person who posts after this reply if we actually get Gingerbread on our TBolts on or before the 30th of this month.

We're 6 days away. It doesn't look good. I predict that the line of reasoning will go something like this "Since the attempted release of the MR2 update, we have had to hold off on further updates to ensure the best experience for our customers" followed by another long list of BS excuses.

Just hang tight. We'll get there eventually.

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cookrd1 View Post
    I had an iPhone for 3 years. Got the TB mostly for 4G and I did not like need for iTunes and a computer. I will move back to iPhone when 4G is available. Vanilla iOS, everyone gets updates, tons of accessories, Netflix, etc, etc and iOS 5 fixes most of its deficiencies.
    Jailbreaking is also much easier on iPhone. I like Android, but it is way too limited unless you hack it which is too messy for me at present on the TB.
    Bob
    You just said Android is more limited than iOS lmao.....
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

I think that is interesting is that the Verizon reps must be so tired of getting questions and returns on reboot and battery issues that they have basically stopped selling it. The Charge is outselling the Tbolt 10:1 based on the recent survey posted on this site... I love my Tbolt. Update will get here.

I'll take any HTC Android phone over any Samsung Android phone... any day of the week or year.
    Thanked by:

Question for those who have rooted and running GB.

Does it improve battery life? I know uninstalling some bloatware that automatically runs definitely helps too.

Also, once rooted, can you roll back to "stock" once the update comes out ?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jackmei2 View Post
    hmmm... this is exactly why I switched from the fascinate to the tbolt... wtf?
    I did the same THING!
    Where my gamers at!? Live!

ROM
    Stock...atm...

Quote Originally Posted by RocketNJ View Post
    Question for those who have rooted and running GB.

Does it improve battery life? I know uninstalling some bloatware that automatically runs definitely helps too.

Also, once rooted, can you roll back to "stock" once the update comes out ?

Thanks!
    My phone with moderate use lasts 12+ hours. And yes you can roll back to stock and update but I won't be doing that. Ill be waiting for the to make some new roms based off the official release.

Verizon has never been speedy with product releases or software updates. They are better than they used to be about updates.

I really don't understand what the extended testing accomplishes since they have let some pretty big bugs slip by on multiple devices despite extended testing.
    Thanked by:

as much as i hate to say this. i want an update to anything on my phone like "now" but think about the ones who had/have the DINC or the OG droid or so on. if you still had one of those devices and see a "new" phone aka thunderbolt, get the "updates" b4 you, wouldnt you be upset?
    have a feeling i will be rooting this weekend. so i can get the updates NOW LOL
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast