Why is it that the TB is the last phone to get every single update!?

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
42360_logo.jpg

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, it's not because it's a ThunderBolt. It's because when a phone is released a big "GAME OVER" feeling is propagated and work begins on newer phones still in development. Gotta get the next one out the door, and the next, and the next. Point is, all these newer phones are being developed at a more recent time than the ThunderBolt therefore they naturally incorporate subtle newer updates as they each reach their GAME OVER status. Then it begins again.

All this time the developers and manufacturers are trying to play "catch up" with the now "legacy" ThunderBolt. If you owned the company, which would be more important to you?

Such is the way of market pressure today.

Better answer: Hang in there, we'll catch up.

-Frank

Last edited:

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Well, it's not because it's a ThunderBolt. It's because when a phone is released a big "GAME OVER" feeling is propagated and work begins on newer phones still in development. Gotta get the next one out the door, and the next, and the next. Point is, all these newer phone are being developed at a more recent time than the ThunderBolt therefore they naturally incorporate subtle newer updates as they each reach their GAME OVER status. Then it begins again.

All this time the developers and manufacturers are trying to play "catch up" with the now "legacy" ThunderBolt. If you owned the company, which would be more important to you?

Such is the way of market pressure today.

Better answer: Hang in there, we'll catch up.

-Frank

hmmm... this is exactly why I switched from the fascinate to the tbolt... wtf?

ANDROID__JUNKIE

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Why is it that the TB is the last phone to get every single u

This I believe is the primary complaint of power users that want the latest OS to run current software... But at the rate of development for new devices I understand why they can "forget" about a phone that isn't that old. I don't want to cry about buying a Nexus or unlocking bootloaders, but something has to be done. As much as I am an advocate and addict of all things Android they need to get this fixed by 4.x if they expect the average joe to stick with them. I don't care about voiding the warranty on a $600 dollar device but there are hundreds of thousands that would never dream of rooting their device for a current OS.

kabo0m88

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site

ummm really guys??

First: to the op: what is it getting last?? The only newer htc phone on vzw is running a slightly newer version of sense.. that is all. Incred 2 is not running gingerbread yet so what are you talking about?

Second: FrankXS your post is ridiculous. Thunderbolt will be getting gingerbread.. if its not quick enough for you from htc then root your phone and put it on there...mine is running 2.3 with sense 3.0... whats more current than that?

Third: This is HTC's first LTE phone, now maybe im wrong here but if there are to be any delays in getting anything out to it which i really dont see that there has been yet... that definitly could be to blame. Sometimes thats the price you pay for a new form of tech.

Fourth: In your post you claim its the manufacturers fault because they are releasing newer phones at a fast rate but then claim that the manufacturers are trying to play catch up.. confusing:confused:

That is all.

Just my opinion.

bbalz

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

ummm really guys??

First: to the op: what is it getting last?? The only newer htc phone on vzw is running a slightly newer version of sense.. that is all. Incred 2 is not running gingerbread yet so what are you talking about?

Second: FrankXS your post is ridiculous. Thunderbolt will be getting gingerbread.. if its not quick enough for you from htc then root your phone and put it on there...mine is running 2.3 with sense 3.0... whats more current than that?

Third: This is HTC's first LTE phone, now maybe im wrong here but if there are to be any delays in getting anything out to it which i really dont see that there has been yet... that definitly could be to blame. Sometimes thats the price you pay for a new form of tech.

Fourth: In your post you claim its the manufacturers fault because they are releasing newer phones at a fast rate but then claim that the manufacturers are trying to play catch up.. confusing:confused:

That is all.

Just my opinion.

+1

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Don't fret my HTC brothers. It took almost a year to get Netflix. And gingerbread on our Evo's. Your Thunderbolts will get updates faster than our Evo's

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

I agree, what update is the tbolt "last" for?
gingerbread just starting to roll out for phones this month... not even 1/4 of the htc devices out have it yet. and sense 3.0 is only out for devices that just released. to my knowledge we are not "last" for any updates as of yet.

and as said before if you want android 2.3 and sense 3.0 root and rom your device. otherwise wait like the rest of us. (rumored date for an update is 6/30/11)

svargas05

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Unfortunately, this most likely has nothing to do with HTC(or very little at that)

Verizon gets the final say in the updates, and to be honest, it seems as if they've started to focus on their iPhone and other 4G devices coming out.

It's unfortunate, but it's true. You probably will get Gingerbread, but who's to say when.....?

kabo0m88

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site

This, plus the overly bloated nature of HTC Sense, is why my next phone will be a Nexus.

it is bloated... that i agree with. plus all that garbage that came on it from verizon... if your talking bloat gotta throw some blame on the carrier.

But i agree... my next phone will be a nexus. If verizon doesn't want to get one cause they believe in their bloat so much... then ill leave them behind.

which is sad.. because i love getting 14+ Mbs down on my phone :O)

cookrd1

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

I had an iPhone for 3 years. Got the TB mostly for 4G and I did not like need for iTunes and a computer. I will move back to iPhone when 4G is available. Vanilla iOS, everyone gets updates, tons of accessories, Netflix, etc, etc and iOS 5 fixes most of its deficiencies.
Jailbreaking is also much easier on iPhone. I like Android, but it is way too limited unless you hack it which is too messy for me at present on the TB.
Bob

techdeskjocky

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Being realistic, I'll donate $5 to the first person who posts after this reply if we actually get Gingerbread on our TBolts on or before the 30th of this month.

We're 6 days away. It doesn't look good. I predict that the line of reasoning will go something like this "Since the attempted release of the MR2 update, we have had to hold off on further updates to ensure the best experience for our customers" followed by another long list of BS excuses.

Just hang tight. We'll get there eventually.

kabo0m88

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site

I had an iPhone for 3 years. Got the TB mostly for 4G and I did not like need for iTunes and a computer. I will move back to iPhone when 4G is available. Vanilla iOS, everyone gets updates, tons of accessories, Netflix, etc, etc and iOS 5 fixes most of its deficiencies.
Jailbreaking is also much easier on iPhone. I like Android, but it is way too limited unless you hack it which is too messy for me at present on the TB.
Bob

You just said Android is more limited than iOS lmao.....

Reactions: cordoni

cguella

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

I think that is interesting is that the Verizon reps must be so tired of getting questions and returns on reboot and battery issues that they have basically stopped selling it. The Charge is outselling the Tbolt 10:1 based on the recent survey posted on this site... I love my Tbolt. Update will get here. :p

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

I'll take any HTC Android phone over any Samsung Android phone... any day of the week or year.

Reactions: cordoni

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12