Gingerbread on June 30th

cornettbr

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I went to the Verizon Wireless corporate store in Jacksonville FL yesterday June 24th. My wife got the Charge. I was talking to my guy there and he told me he couldnt officially say anything about the tiered data plans... but he hinted it was coming. He also mentioned to me after looking around that the 2.3 update for the thunderbolt was going to be rolling out on June 30th. We were talking about rooting the thunderbolt and he said he was waiting until after that date. What have you guys heard?

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Hope we're wrong, but most of us do not believe for a minute the rumor about GB on June 30th. More likely, it's some kind of MR2.6ish OTA update that will reduce or eliminate the reboot problem that some are experiencing, perhaps at the expense of worse battery life for some people as well. We do not know for sure, of course, but this opinion is likely more reliable than anything you will hear from a Verizon rep. If Verizon is smart, they will include a working version of Skype video chat in the next OTA update with HBO Go and Netflix fixed very soon thereafter. This would make the most sense for them to capitalize on tiered data. Gingerbread would be helpful, but the alpha leaks we've seen so far don't seem ready for prime time yet.

Last edited:

Kronko

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
If by June 28th is still not announced at Verizon website, it is not happening.

Sent from my Transformer TF101

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
He was claiming when it rolls out it will have Google Talk with video chat on it too lol
He's just repeating the same single-source rumor & screenshot (with several misspellings) that we've all seen here. It's been appearing on most Android 'news' sites for the past week or so. I can find it for you if you give me a minute. But, like I say, we all hope it's true but most don't believe it.

Edit: here you go:
http://androidandme.com/2011/06/new...ingerbread-and-amazon-appstore-pre-installed/

This sounds like it's been 'confirmed' by reliable source:
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/1...-june-30-includes-skype-and-gtalk-with-video/

But we still haven't seen a ROM leak that looks ready for prime time and devs in the know still don't expect to see one till later in the summer.

Last edited:

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Sure would be an awesome surprise, but not gonna happen on June 30th. We'll most likely see an MR update to fix other issues soon, but no GB love for us in the near future. :(

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Sure would be an awesome surprise, but not gonna happen on June 30th. We'll most likely see an MR update to fix other issues soon, but no GB love for us in the near future. :(
One reason that wouldn't bother me is that when I apply MR2 (sans GB) I'd like to be able to evaluate the results without being encumbered by all the potential GB differences. At least if they distribute only MR2 (primarily radio fixes) we'll know what what we're looking for. You know, too many changes at the same time make things more difficult to analyze.

-Frank

Last edited:

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
He was claiming when it rolls out it will have Google Talk with video chat on it too lol

Does it also have Enchanced aGPS functionality and Enhanced Microsoft Exchange Extentions?

Either the "leaked" release notes document is fake (most likely) or someone at VZW needs to use Spell Check.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
If there is one thing I've learned over the past few years about Smartphones... and that is that Reps are not reliable sources of information and know very little from their corporate offices.

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
If GB is truly coming in 5 days...actually if anything is coming from VZW in 5 days, where is the leak? Official releases always leak before they are officially released and what we have seen leaked (MR2, and MR2.5 radio) has not been worthy of official release.

groupdelay

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I went in and upgraded my daughter to a smartphone w/ unlimited package. I nearly had to pry info out of the guy. He indicated that they are not allowed to discuss about the tiered package at all. His first words were I don't know what you are talking about, wink, wink. He also indicated that there is no GB update coming anytime soon. Only an update to potentially fix or reduce the chances of the reboot problem. Just taking from the horses mouth.

May 28, 2011
Visit site
the mr2 radios are glitchy and cause horrid signal on my phone. im back to mr1 and froyo for now. ill deal with the occasional reboot. look we all know the tbolt is gonna get 2.3.4 and id bet it will be out by july sometime.