can TB's hotspot be used with ISP instead of verizon's network?

ThunderSnow

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a Thunderbolt, an 802.1x wireless internet connection at my house, and a Wii.

Currently I'm connecting my Wii to the internet through my thunderbolt's free hotspot since the Wii isn't compatible with 802.1x encryption. When the free hotspot expires next week I guess I either have to pay for Verizon's hotspot service, break some rules, or not be able to connect my Wii to the internet. None of these options are all that appealing to me. So here's my question: since my thunderbolt can connect to my 802.1x encrypted wifi, is there a way that I can use the phone as a hotspot to broadcast the 802.1x internet to my wii?

The way this works in my head is that at home I connect the phone to the 802.1x wifi (rather than the 4g) and use the phone as a hotspot to put the signal in the air for the wii to pick up and connect to the same way it would if I was using the hotspot with the 4g network (only requiring the SSID and password I set in the phone). Is this at all possible?

Again, I'm not a tech person so I apologize if I'm oversimplifying complicated stuff here, but I'd be a lot happier if I could just get all my technology to work together!

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: can TB's hotspot be used with ISP instead of verizon's networ

Sorry, no. What you describe is a Wireless Router functionality. The TBolt can't do that. Just for the h-of-it I just tried. When you have an existing WiFi connection on the TBolt, as soon as you enable the Wireless Hotspot, the RF Data indicator comes on (4G in my case) and the previous Wireless connection is disconnected. And, vice versa, if you do it in the opposite order. The phone will only let you have one at a time (WiFi or Hotspot).

Good thought, though :)

-Frank

CMRobinson

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site

Yea I tried that one time for my son's DSIXL, the phone said it couldn't use WiFi and hot spot simultaneously. Sorry.

ThunderSnow

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Thanks to you both! While your responses break my heart, I appreciate them nonetheless.

So is this a hardware limitation or could an app be made to do this type of thing?

Thanks!

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

Thanks to you both! While your responses break my heart, I appreciate them nonetheless.

So is this a hardware limitation or could an app be made to do this type of thing?

Thanks!
The "app" thing crossed my mind. And yes, I think it could. But probably not using the built-in VZW "Mobile Hotspot" app.

-Frank

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

Why can't your WII connect to your WiFi? Mine connects to my Wireless-N Linksys router with encryption enabled just fine.

ThunderSnow

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Why can't your WII connect to your WiFi? Mine connects to my Wireless-N Linksys router with encryption enabled just fine.

The 802.1x encryption requires an SSID, username, and password and the wii will only accept an SSID and password. It's a common problem with most gaming systems, roku players, and other similar devices.

rcmcdonald91

May 26, 2011
Visit site

Your terminology is wrong.

The encryption you are using is WPA2 Enterprise.

802.1x doesn't describe encryption, but rather transportation. (Packets being transmitted and received over the air)

J2Red

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

While 802.1x might not be available for the Wii, you can use WPA2 which is good as ur gonna get on the Wii. Just make sure to have 12+ characters in your PSK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463