Where's the update?

Psykonate

Mar 21, 2011
www.insidenathanshead.com
Look! I found the update!

Its been here for weeks already and love it!

[ROM] [MikRoms] Gingeritis 3D v1.0 Alpha Test Build 11 [6-27-11] - xda-developers

Ok, so its not the update but, its great! Yes, you have to root your phone to use it and yes, that can void your warranty and yes, you'll be doing it at your own risk but, it is SSSOOOO worth it! My phone flies (I think it literally grew wings).

You won't be disappointed and the only reason you'll be wondering about updates from VZW/HTC is because the Dev's will have new stuff to play with and make even better!

milwaukee613

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Your response was not linked to mine, therefore I was not quite sure.

I would suggest to you that everyone is new to the Thunderbolt, being that it is a new phone. However, to be more direct - I bought the TB on day one, so you could say that I am a TB veteran.

This is, however, my first Android phone. I have never own a cell phone in the last 25+ years that needed to be tweaked so much. I NOW understand that is the nature of Droid phones. Had I known this a head of time, I might not have bought it.

But I made my choice and I have learned to live with it, until something else comes along that suits me better.

The Thunderbolt is not a bad phone, it just has some aggravating quirks. Or better put, it has some quirks that are aggravating to me.

I have the exact same story.
Bought my phone on the first day, but for me, my experience has been very good.
While sometimes there are some annoying qualities. My overal experience has been a good one.

Believe me, if u had gone with Blackberry you would still be in the stoneage. If you went apple, you would just have become another Steve Jobs groupie and apple mindless slave.

Thunderbolt is still one of the best phones ont he market, by far.

We just got to deal with some of the growing pains

Sorry for not using a quote when I asked the question before.

Last edited:

Psykonate

Mar 21, 2011
Your response was not linked to mine, therefore I was not quite sure.

I would suggest to you that everyone is new to the Thunderbolt, being that it is a new phone. However, to be more direct - I bought the TB on day one, so you could say that I am a TB veteran.

This is, however, my first Android phone. I have never own a cell phone in the last 25+ years that needed to be tweaked so much. I NOW understand that is the nature of Droid phones. Had I known this a head of time, I might not have bought it.

But I made my choice and I have learned to live with it, until something else comes along that suits me better.

The Thunderbolt is not a bad phone, it just has some aggravating quirks. Or better put, it has some quirks that are aggravating to me.
All phones need to be "tweaked" in order to get what you want out of them.

Its like a car. You buy the car as it is but, its not quite you. Then you go down and get new wheels, tint your windows, maybe lift of lower it, add a new chip to get more torque or HP, and on and on. Does this mean the vehicle wasn't good enough in the first place? No. It just means we has humans like to personalize our experiences in life. We want things to represent us.

The same goes for your phone. The manufacturer makes a phone with the target of the middle ground of everyone. You can stay right there and it will function just as middle ground device. If you want full function, some better performance, something that works best for you, you have to modify it.

That is what is GREAT about Android, the fact that you can modify it and make it your very own personal device that suits your own personal needs!

milwaukee613

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Look! I found the update!

Its been here for weeks already and love it!

[ROM] [MikRoms] Gingeritis 3D v1.0 Alpha Test Build 11 [6-27-11] - xda-developers

Ok, so its not the update but, its great! Yes, you have to root your phone to use it and yes, that can void your warranty and yes, you'll be doing it at your own risk but, it is SSSOOOO worth it! My phone flies (I think it literally grew wings).

You won't be disappointed and the only reason you'll be wondering about updates from VZW/HTC is because the Dev's will have new stuff to play with and make even better!

If you want to go out on a limb and try an Alpha test build be my guest. But your better off trying das bamf gb v2.1 [ROM][GB][6.20.11]Das BAMF 2.1 - xda-developers
or das bamf gingerremix [ROM][6.20.11] BAMF GingerREMIX v2.1 - HUGE TOOLKIT UPDATE PLUS MORE! - xda-developers

IM using the remix version and its great.

You are always better off (especially if you are new to this) to try a ROM that has already had a few updates, so they have already worked out some of the problems

milwaukee613

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

Its like a car. You buy the car as it is but, its not quite you. Then you go down and get new wheels, tint your windows, maybe lift of lower it, add a new chip to get more torque or HP, and on and on. Does this mean the vehicle wasn't good enough in the first place? No. It just means we has humans like to personalize our experiences in life. We want things to represent us.

The same goes for your phone. The manufacturer makes a phone with the target of the middle ground of everyone. You can stay right there and it will function just as middle ground device. If you want full function, some better performance, something that works best for you, you have to modify it.

That is what is GREAT about Android, the fact that you can modify it and make it your very own personal device that suits your own personal needs!

True that bro.
For me I need 110% function. So android like you said is THE ONLY option

stockandroidguy

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Where's the update?!?!?!?!

Literally just got off the phone with verizon and htc reps. New update will be pushing out the next few days. They say it will fix the problems as well as update the phone and add new features according to HTC rep.

Next Few Days: Translation = Oh you mean the update to get rid of your free mobile hotspot and the new "customer friendly" tiered data plans.

Psykonate

Mar 21, 2011
If you want to go out on a limb and try an Alpha test build be my guest. But your better off trying das bamf gb v2.1 [ROM][GB][6.20.11]Das BAMF 2.1 - xda-developers
or das bamf gingerremix [ROM][6.20.11] BAMF GingerREMIX v2.1 - HUGE TOOLKIT UPDATE PLUS MORE! - xda-developers

IM using the remix version and its great.

You are always better off (especially if you are new to this) to try a ROM that has already had a few updates, so they have already worked out some of the problems
You run a risk with any build. Even from the manufacturer. Look at MR1.

My personal preference is Gingeritis 3D and yes, its is in Alpha stage but, if you read through the thread, you will see far fewer problems than with any other build I looked through along with a very responsive Dev who is constantly working out any little kinks.

premise

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes since day one my tb had flaws, but it worked none the less. It didnt reboot or power down 10 times a day, worst I noticed besides battery life was text message glitches and location not correct. Since Verizon pushed the update to my phone it reboots and just powers off all day. Being self employed and relying on my tb for business I have lost at least $1500.00-2000.00 since the update. You call vzw/htc and they put the blame on one another but ultimately vzw pushed the updates to our phones and that makes them responsible. I think if there were a class action lawsuit pending against them we would have had the mr update and gb a long time ago. I mean really 1.5 months after breaking everyones phones and they think saying "that they are working on it and it is coming soon" is good customer service or acceptable? I really could care less when they come out with gb, I would like to have it but I would rather have a dependable phone first. We should not have to install leaked mr updates or root our phones just to make them work as advertised. [/rant]

drstrange462

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

with everything there is always a risk... but rooting now, since the thunderbolt has been out for such a long time is very easy and there is a very low chance of messing things up if you read the instructions correctly.
Check out this: Thunderbolt Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks - Android Forums
and read through the guides on how to root with windows/mac, how to back up and restore, upgrading to GB and the like.

The only issue that could be a little confusing are putting new radio file on your phone. But those are fairly easy to understand and have a much lower probability of messing things up on your phone.

If you have questions, people here are more than willing to be helpful and informative. Ill try to help as well to the best of my ablities if you can articulately describe your concerns and questions.
I updated my Bolt with the MR2 update, and now want to root said Bolt. Is there a easy root method? can you point me in the direction that you took? Do I need to "downgrade" before I try anything? I would really appreciate any tip, pointer, etc...:)

milwaukee613

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
are you using a Mac or Windows?
you can try one of the one click root methods found at the top of the HTC thunderbolt forum's roms and hacks section.

are you interested in putting a different ROM on there?
Sent Using Tapatalk

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

I'm not sixteen anymore. When I buy a car I don't; tint the windows, or put on Cragers, or traction bars, or wheely wheels, or do pinstripes, or hang fuzzy dice. I buy the car and drive it home.

I want my "middle ground" phone to have the full functions like; working GPS, working audio recording, and I don't want it to reboot itself willy nilly.

Maybe HTC should offer phone models like cars. A top of the line phone (ahem, like the TB) should have (working) full functions. Then they could sell phone kits to guys like you who like to tinker. ;)

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I have the exact same story.
Bought my phone on the first day, but for me, my experience has been very good.
While sometimes there are some annoying qualities. My overal experience has been a good one.

Believe me, if u had gone with Blackberry you would still be in the stoneage. If you went apple, you would just have become another Steve Jobs groupie and apple mindless slave.

Thunderbolt is still one of the best phones ont he market, by far.

We just got to deal with some of the growing pains

Sorry for not using a quote when I asked the question before.

I came from Blackberry. I have Mac computers and an iPad. I will more than likely get an iPhone 5 (or 6) depending on what they turn out to be. I'm not a Steve Jobs groupie, I never talk or think about him. Nor am I a mindless slave to any company.

"We" don't "have" to deal with growing pains - only mindless slaves do that. ;) I am free to choose my own path. :)

fadepoint89

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree to what everyone is saying. I can't stand all the b-s anymore. I want a new phone but I don't want to deal with 7 replacements first. This is getting old. Why can HTC make quality phones for other carriers but not verizon? I just don't get it.
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

We need an App that checks for firmware updates every five minutes, and them automatically posts the results to the forum....

Then of course, we would need a complainer APP that reads the resulting posts from the App above and generates a complaint post.

Save us all a lot of time.

Given the issues with the current official software it is a virtual certainty that someone in Technical Acceptance will leak the update long before it is pushed. That's how we got "MR2"

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree to what everyone is saying. I can't stand all the b-s anymore. I want a new phone but I don't want to deal with 7 replacements first. This is getting old. Why can HTC make quality phones for other carriers but not verizon? I just don't get it.

They DID create a quality phone. They just screwed the software update. :( Their other phones also have issues. The Evo las year was plagued wth them at first, but due to "the fanboy effect" only those who had one or closely followed the forums really knew the details. To everyone else it was the most awesome Android phone around and we all wanted it.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
They DID create a quality phone. They just screwed the software update. :( Their other phones also have issues. The Evo las year was plagued wth them at first, but due to "the fanboy effect" only those who had one or closely followed the forums really knew the details. To everyone else it was the most awesome Android phone around and we all wanted it.

I'm of the same opinion. I love my Bolt. Putting aside its issues, it works beautifully in every other way, is fast, has MORE than enough RAM, and I wouldn't replace it with any phone out there or on the horizon.

I just wish .....

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm of the same opinion. I love my Bolt. Putting aside its issues, it works beautifully in every other way, is fast, has MORE than enough RAM, and I wouldn't replace it with any phone out there or on the horizon.

I just wish .....

Well it does have a goodly amount of RAM, I'll give them that.
It's a nice phone - but I would never say I "love" it (loving an object just seems a bit extreme to me)