Is it normal for Thunderbolt to go 4G, then 1X, then nothing?

androidmanning

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I just got the Thunderbolt today (Android 2.2.1) and it acted possed in an area that has 4G. My Thunderbolt was showing 4G, then it went to nothing, then a minute later went to 1X, and then back to 4G and then nothing for a minute, then back to 4G again and kept repeating this. I couldn't surf the internet at all. I was outside and had 4 full bars! The phone would pop up a message saying theirs no signal...

When I got back home my 4G was good. No problems.

What are some of the reasons the Thunderbolt did this? Was it the phone or Verizon network? Anyone else experience this?

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I dunno about that, but I know mine frequently gets stuck defaulting to 1X instead of 4G. It used to only happen one or two days a week, but now it seems like it happens much more frequently. The only ways to fix it are to either restart the phone (which also drains 10-15% of the battery...), or use an app to just turn it down to 3G. If I'm lucky, sometimes if I switch back to 4G mode later in the day, it'll pick up the 4G.

Anyway, I'm very curious to know if this is an issue with the phone itself, or with Verizon's network. I wonder if the Droid Charge and LG Revolution have this issue. Unfortunately, I have a nasty feeling this is a problem that's never going to be 100% fixed through any updates. :/

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I am fairly new to Thunderbolt and Android. The bars are only your voice signal, from what I have read here, nothing to do with your data signal.

Mine did that last week, but it was after a 4G outage, and it stopped after about 15 minutes.

Might have been a tower issue with that one site.

I have also lost 4G inside big box stores (Lowes and Home Depot) well inside "good 4G" coverage.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I just got the Thunderbolt today (Android 2.2.1) and it acted possed in an area that has 4G. My Thunderbolt was showing 4G, then it went to nothing, then a minute later went to 1X, and then back to 4G and then nothing for a minute, then back to 4G again and kept repeating this. I couldn't surf the internet at all. I was outside and had 4 full bars! The phone would pop up a message saying theirs no signal...

When I got back home my 4G was good. No problems.

What are some of the reasons the Thunderbolt did this? Was it the phone or Verizon network? Anyone else experience this?
Yes, there are reasons. This is the primary Achilles Heel of the 4G phones. It is being "worked on" by HTC and we all all hope for an expedited fix.

Sometimes rebooting helps. Sometimes simply disabling and re-enabling "Wireless Networks" or "Airplane Mode" works. But still, we have to do these workarounds until HTC/VZW release an update. When you are in a good strong 4G area this normally doesn't happen. And they are expanding their 4G network daily. Shouldn't be too long before it's almost everywhere.

This is a unique phenomenon specific to 4G phones and the technology they use. Not just the Thunderbolt.

Hang in there...

-Frank

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the feedback, I thought I was going crazy lol

Does anyone know if this happens to 3G phones such as the iPhone 4?
No, it does not.

Because the 4G phones use a different 3G network than the 3G phones. So, it is unique to 4G phones. If you lose 4G you might also lose 3G at the same time. We are on the bleeding edge with the Thunderbolt. They will get it right shortly (my opinion). Definitely worth the growing pains to avoid being "stuck" with a 3G phone for two years.

-Frank

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
If you're wondering whether it's normal for the Thunderbolt to not work as it should, the answer is yes.

Bank of Dad

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
This happens to mine all the time. It occurs most frequently when I am in my house (in the country, with a metal roof,) and at work ( all brick, looks like Mafia staff building). Not so much outdoors.

PokermanDMF

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Happened to me. Wouldn't go back to anything but 4G. No 3G or 1X. I tried everything. Finally got fed up and called Verizon. Took him 2 hours to tells me I should just do a factory reset. Works fine now tho. Try it.

Transmitted through 4G via Thunderbolt

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I've seen that on the signal border areas and industrial buildings. At least I keep getting signals. Other carriers and feature phone users have nothing in same location. When I'm inside I-275 loop I rarely have any LTE issues (outside of battery life) unless I I have to park in well below ground level. Deep in some of the older steel frame brick buildings I lose some speed compared to outside, but I'm still faster than 10Mips.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney