Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By VideoEngineerAJS
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default G2 RAM Usage/Consumption

I just got a G2 and am a bit concerned about the amount of bloatware on the phone and its memory consumption.

I figured with 2GB of RAM there would be plenty to spare; however, with two email accounts sync'd, facebook, and a few other apps running, plus all of LG's background processes, the phones consuming 1.2-1.3 GB of memory, with approx. 500 to usable to spare.

This seems like way too much usage/consumption for only a few applications running and I was wondering whether others were seeing the same type of consumption or if there is potentially a software/hardware issue specific to my phone.

Thanks.

Default Re: G2 RAM Usage/Consumption

It depends on what you are running and your sync settings. Obviously a live wallpaper will take more. I usually have at least 500MB of memory free. I think the highest amount I've ever had free was like 800MB and that was for a very short time. Although between the quad-core processor and the 500MB of free memory I never have issues with lag so I don't really concern myself with it all that much.

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

That's what I figured, however as I'm locked into the phone for the next 20 months or so, just a tad concerned that its not going to stand the test of time.

Wondering if I should return and wait for the nexus 5, which is rumored to have 3GB RAM in basically the same phone

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

Android stores things in memory so they load faster and use less battery. If the system needs more ram it will clear stuff on its own. I wouldn't worry how much you have available.

I had the same concern so for the first time ever I rooted my phone and froze/uninstalled the bloatware, I now have a good deal more RAM available.
    Darth Vader offers you a Guinness.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Any good wizards out there to root? I know that XDA had a good wizard for rooting my Kindle Fire, anything similar for the G2?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ricciuti View Post
    Any good wizards out there to root? I know that XDA had a good wizard for rooting my Kindle Fire, anything similar for the G2?
    If you don't want to root yet, you can still disable all of the bloat. I disabled the Verizon bloat minus MyVerizon and now I regularly have anywhere from 800MB to 1GB of RAM available.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

What Verizon apps can be disabled without messing with the device?

I appreciate everyone's help.

Quote Originally Posted by VideoEngineerAJS View Post
    If you don't want to root yet, you can still disable all of the bloat. I disabled the Verizon bloat minus MyVerizon and now I regularly have anywhere from 800MB to 1GB of RAM available.

The only things I haven't been able to disable is Voicemail and Hotspot. I guess that makes sense, but I use Google Voice for my voicemail and I'm not going to use their hotspot app, so it sort of stinks that you can't disable those two, but everything else can be disabled.

... This seems like way too much usage/consumption for only a few applications running ...
    Don't worry about RAM usage
    A process not running, just remaining in RAM doesn't use processor power, that's why it doesn't consumed battery.
    As said before, Android tries to hold processes in RAM, as many as possible, in case their apps are started again. That's saving battery and processor power.
    Android's efficient process management will automatically close unused processes when it needs to in order to optimize RAM usage.
    "Not used RAM is useless RAM".
    Last edited by Adamsberg; 10-03-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VideoEngineerAJS View Post
    The only things I haven't been able to disable is Voicemail and Hotspot. I guess that makes sense, but I use Google Voice for my voicemail and I'm not going to use their hotspot app, so it sort of stinks that you can't disable those two, but everything else can be disabled.
    I was able to disable all of the Verizon apps.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    200 Global Posts

There's a list over at XDA.

Quote Originally Posted by dookie. View Post
    There's a list over at XDA.
    People may think this will help, but that site is massive, if you have the link provide the link don't just say "It's on XDA".
    Thanked by:
    FutureRoscoe likes this.